Do you come here seeking?

by alias 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• alias
    alias

I'm just curious at how many others might spend time on this Website hoping to make sense of it all, despite being brought up or converted to JW after leaving. I can't seem to fill the hole of my existential crisis after fading out. The spectrum of atheism to beliving still doesn't fill the gap. Are you at the end of your rope hanging on to the knot just like me? Does anything change your mind to keep on keeping on despite the futileness of existing just to die in old age?

The god thing doesn't make enough sense to keep fighting for, and the atheistic thing just confirms why bother

What are your thoughts?

alias

• ziddina
    ziddina

You have got to be kidding... Uh, well, not really, but...

I was coerced and intimidated into the Jehovah's Witnesses - and therefore, into Christianity - despite the fact that I'd spotted the very human origins of the bible, when an elder/overseer read Exodus 19: 16-19 from the podium.

Having been a rockhound from the age of 5, and having become interested in volcanoes when I was around 7, I immediately recognized that scripture as a fairly accurate description of an ERUPTING VOLCANO - not of some "god's" presence. And it was then, at the tender age of 7 - 8, that I would have HAPPILY become an atheist, if it wasn't for being hit, kicked, slapped, insulted and berated in an attempt to force me into that blasted cult.

If I had been allowed to be free - to think my own thoughts and make my own choices - I'd be much better off financially, I'd be much more independent, and I'd probably be living in a home built with cutting-edge techniques, rather than some suburban cracker-box.

I never needed the fantasy that I was going to "live forever", whether on earth or in some fanciful nether-zone out in space. I wanted a REAL life WHEN I HAD THE OPPORTUNITIES TO LIVE IT.

I would have HAPPILY given up all that superstitious nonsense for the chance to be free to live my own life and make my own choices, instead of being threatened with some invisible, imaginary middle eastern late-bronze-age nomadic males' god.

Zid

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

It depends on how you see the challenge of life.

As an atheist (virtually life-long), I accept that someday I won't be here (fine: I accept that I wasn't in the Universe for an incredibly LONG TIME, so it's not hard to accept that the ride doesn't last forever, and I'm not so narcissistic to think the Earth won't get along without me, either).

The challenge is making the most of what you DO have, and not worrying about the fact that you WON'T have life someday. What a WASTE of the here and now!

JWs are disappointed when they realize that they won't have an ETERNITY spent playing with lions. Think about it: what would the purpose of THAT be? What could you hope to accomplish in the JW dream of the future? Eating, crapping, praying, praising YWHW, petting lions in paradise, where God hands all solutions to mankind on a platter so there's nothing to solve, no reason to actually DO anything?

In the REAL World, there ARE solutions to be found, things to do to help, an infinite number of things to learn about, NOT just because it's fun or interesting but because it 's REQUIRED in order to make the World a better place. And the clock is ticking: none of us are getting younger, and we all have a finite time to live.

Here's how I see it: as JT says, the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time, and enjoying the ride...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

alias... you won't find a meaning to everything on the internet, or at JWN. Life is for living- for doing what you want; making mistakes, getting wet, becoming a hot mess, breaking all the rules, and wearing yourself out. Many Witnesses live their lives just going round & round in circles... waiting... in vain. Life is not like that- there is a time in your life for everything. Reach out and take what you really want in life- while you can.

It shouldn't really matter whether there is a God or not... life is still a valuable thing. And who knows- you might be a goddess yourself.

It might be good for you to talk to a councellor, or a close friend, too... just to make sure you are o.k, too.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

No. I disagree. Athiesm does the opposite. Rather than adopting a "why bother" approach, try a "make every second count" or "squeeze every drop out of life as you can, while you can" approach. That's what I started doing and I've never been happier!

• ziddina
    ziddina

What DarioKehl said...

• whathappened
    whathappened

It has been extremely difficult for me to give up the hope of living on a paradise earth forever, with all my loved ones, in perfect health. I looked forward to meeting all my ancesters and finding out about all the historical figures who have left an impression on me.

Now, I know if I had never had such a false hope, I would not be in so much pain right now and my life would be very different. I agree with Ziddina on this one. It's like if you have never tasted chocolate, you would not miss it, because you don't know what you are missing. Our hope was real and now it is gone. So sad that the Watchtower has put false hopes into people's hearts and minds. So sad.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    " I agree with Ziddina on this one. It's like if you have never tasted chocolate, you would not miss it, because you don't know what you are missing." What happened

Uh, gee, thanks... But - Huh???

• alias
    alias

ziddina, whathapened, DarioKehl, & transhuman,

Thanks for responding. I can't disagree with anything you've shared...I'm so glad ya'all have found peace around all this.

It shouldn't really matter whether there is a God or not... life is still a valuable thing. And who knows- you might be a goddess yourself.

Transhuman, I had to laugh at that. Thanks for the smile. Yah, who knows?

• alias
    alias

Thanks again to those of you who've responded. Once in a while I have a meltdown in and around all the BIG QUESTIONS and have many active JWs still in my life due to family and marriage who cannot support this side of my life. FWIW, the metaphorical knot has kept me from slipping too far down and this group on the board is the only who can truly relate to the JW experience . . .

I know seeking is multi-faceted and cannot be satisfied only in the virtual world. But it is because of my participation here, most often in listening mode, between the extremes and only slightly variant shades of grey, that I have learned the greatest deal about people, worldviews, and possibilities. For all of that, and to everyone who cares, thank you.

And the beat goes on...

alias

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit