Divine Name in the First Century

by freemindfade 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

During the watchtower today while there was so much pontificating on the first century christian movement, I was wondering what would happen i asked your run of the mill R&F how Paul and others would have been pronouncing the divine name?...

Yes God's name, something witnesses claim was so critical. But the absolute fact of the matter is that no christian was saying the name JEHOVAH at all, period. That name would not be invented for 1300 hundred years or so by none other than the witnesses arch nemesis THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Thats right kids, The name Jehovah is a 700 year old catholic invention. Most of us here already know this, but I was wondering how fun it would be to make their head spin with the question.

So what name was supposedly being made known??? YHWH? Yahweh most likely... Adonai? Nobody ever said "Jehovah" before 1300 CE. And even after the name was invented, J-ehovah was a germanic translation of Yehowah... So I think that is a fun question for witnesses.

How did the Jews pronounce gods name? How did the first century christians? Most I am sure would say Jehovah, then I would say, are you sure?....

FMF

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    The Jews used the turm Abba meaning father but of course they do not except Jesus. My studies in the older writings and beliefs are that most early Christians worships the Christ. That's right the Christ, they did see anything different between Jesus and the father. It wasn't really a trinity yet. Also if one really reads the NT of the bible its really all about Jesus and him being the exalted one and his name being above all others.
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays

Hasn’t this been discussed already on a different thread.

So if the Encyclopedia Britannica

Yahweh

the God of the Israelites, his name being revealed to Moses as four Hebrew CONSONANTS (YHWH) CALLED THE TETRAGRAMMATON. AFTER THE EXILE (6TH CENTURY BC), and especially from the 3rd century BC on, Jews ceased to use the name Yahweh for two reasons. As Judaism became a universal religion through its proselytizing in the Greco-Roman world, the more common noun Elohim, meaning "god," tended to replace Yahweh to demonstrate the universal sovereignty of Israel's God over all others. At the same time, the divine name was increasingly regarded as too sacred to be uttered; it was thus replaced vocally in the synagogue ritual by the Hebrew word Adonai ("My Lord"), which was translated as Kyrios ("Lord") in the Septuagint, the Greek version of the Old Testament.

And according to Jeroen Ashton

In 1278 a Spanish monk, Raymundo Martini, wrote the Latin work PUGIO FIDEI (Dagger of faith). In it he used the name of God, spelling it Yohoua. Later printings of this work, dated some centuries later, used the spelling JEHOVA.

Soon after, in 1303, Porchetus de Salvaticis completed a work entitled VICTORIA PORCHETI AVERSUS IMPIOS HEBRAEOS (Porchetus' Victory against the Ungodly Hebrews). He spells God's name IOHOUAH, IOHOUA and IHOUAH.

Then, in 1518, Petrus Galatinus, a Catholic priest born in the late 1400's, published a work entitled DE ARCANIS CATHOLICAE VERITATIS (Concerning Secrets of the Universal Truth) in which he spelled God's name IEHOUA.

Now, the direct answer to your question: the name "Jehovah" first appeared in an English BIBLE in 1530, when William Tyndale published a translation of the Chumash (the first five books of the Bible). In this, he included the name of God, usually spelled IEHOUAH, in several verses (Genesis 15:2; Exodus 6:3; 15:3; 17:6; 23:17; 33:19; 34:23; Deuteronomy 3:24. Tyndale also included God's name in Ezekiel 18:23 and 36:23 in his translations that were added at the end of THE NEW TESTAMENT, Antwerp, 1534), and in a note in this edition he wrote: "Iehovah is God's name... moreover as oft as thou seist LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing) is is in Hebrew Iehovah." (Please note as I told you previously, there was no "J" in English at this time; the J is a product of a stylized I; thus giving us the current Jehovah rather than the Old English Iehovah. The "u" used in the above names is also a reminder that there was no "v" in Old English, as you can read David in the original King James version was written "Dauid".)

In 1534 Martin Luther published his complete translation of the Bible in German, based on the original languages. While he used the German "Herr" (Lord or Sir) for the Tetragrammaton, in a sermon which he delivered in 1526 on Jeremiah 23:1-8, he said, "The name Jehovah, Lord, belongs exclusively to the true God."

Subsequently, Jehovah was used not only in the "Authorized" King James Version of 1611, but the Spanish VALERA version of 1602, the Portuguese ALMEIDA version of 1681, the German ELBERFELDER version of 1871, and the American Standard Version of 1901. It appears that the Jerusalem Bible was the first one to used Yahweh instead of Lord and Jehovah.

The Masoretic, who from about the 6th to the 10th century worked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai ("Lord", editor) or Elohim ("God", editor). Thus, the artificial name Jehovah (YeHoWaH) (emphasis ours, ed.) came into being. Although Christian scholars after the Renaissance and Reformation periods used the term Jehovah for YHWH, in the 19th and 20th century’s biblical scholars again began to use the form Yahweh. Early Christian writers, such as Clement of Alexandria in the 2nd century, had used a form like Yahweh, and this pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton was never really lost. Other Greek transcriptions also indicated that YHWH should be pronounced Yahweh.

Hence forth the name kept by the Watchtower, and by 1931 it was used to distinguish Jehovah’s Witnesses from the International Bible Student Association. I believe that’s the point for JW’s to bring back the rightful name of God in modern language, but as you Stated, time will tell if they had it right. But I think that’s why they have faith that it’s close enough to use that name instead as an informal apathy like GOD.

I don’t know if you understand the concept of modern language, but Jesus wasn’t spelled that way either.

Mark 14:18-21 English Standard Version (ESV)

18 And as they were reclining at table and eating, Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me, one who is eating with me.” 19 They began to be sorrowful and to say to him one after another, “Is it I?” 20 He said to them, “It is one of the twelve, one who is dipping bread into the dish with me. 21 For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.”

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"Nobody ever said "Jehovah" before 1300 CE. "... "So I think that is a fun question for " you, and "then I would say, are you sure?...."

Are you?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Yes it has been discussed. Just thinking of an interesting way of introducing it to witnesses to get them thinking.

In their mind they know none of this.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Really, I always thought God's name was Velhim or William in english. Anyway, that's what Jesus told me. Only HE can tell you the father's name. ...uhmm, he did tell me not to tell anyone though......
  • Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

I fail to see your point. The accepted name for God in the modern world is Jehovah. Even people who believe in the Trinity will admit that. The original name of God in the Old Testament is YHWH. Add a few consonants and you get Jehovah. This is how language is created. People in the 1st Century and people in the 21st Century obviously wouldn't be using the same pronunciation.

• Ding
    Ding

If the use and exaltation of the Name is as important as the WT claims, why wouldn't God have seen to it that the correct pronunciation was preserved through the ages?

I think it's ironic that the WT always tries to claim that it alone is doing what the first century Christians did, except for things like this where they will tell you it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Meanwhile, Watchtower "light" often doesn't last 20 years, let alone 20 centuries.

• pixel
    pixel

Add a few consonants and you get Jehovah.

In other words, come-up-with-your-own-god's-name.

Great.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

While there is evidence that the Septuagint (a Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures often quoted in the Greek Scriptures) did contain the Tetragrammaton it is also true the NT manuscripts we have available today do NOT contain YHWH except for Hallelujah in Revelation and Joshua/Jesus which means Jah/Yah Saves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit