Free online courses from accredited schools... Your opinion

by MC RubberMallet 17 Replies latest social current

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I am a student of the University of Phoenix and lack four courses for a bachelors degree in business. Some courses can be taken at the campus or completely online. My wife is attending nursing school at the local community college and has to turn assignments in online and receives most communication online. My daughter is in middle school and assignments are turned in online. It appears that online education is the future and will expand. There have been critics that it is not as good as brick and mortar schools however, if it has meaningful accreditation is is just as good and from what I have heard employers are getting more accustomed to it.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

If you don't get actual credits, it doesn't count for anything other than personal bragging rights that you took the same classes that the real students did. If you're going to go through that much trouble, then your efforts are better focused on dropping the pretence and just going to college for real.

Makes sense, except financially unfeasible. I need to pay off serious debt before I incur any more.

• moshe
    moshe

It does look dangerous, in that if it can be shown that the general public learns as much as the students sitting in the chair, it undermines the value of that $100,000 brick and mortar degree. Next thing you know, India will set up online colleges and cut the cost of a Bacheleors degree down to $5000. Who will pay for all the tenured professor's pensions, then?

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Excellent point Moshe. However a Harvard Grad will always be more sought after than an online grad. Cornell is offering on-line programs..but they are expensive.

• HelpMeBelieve
    HelpMeBelieve

Hi MC sighed up with Coursera, Udacity and edx, it's kept my mind busy while i deal with wicked family members. Are you a "self-starter" and someone who does not need frequent contact with your professor?

please keep in mind, it's all for you, your mind and being. My Coursera class has fifteen thousand students, be prepared for silly discussions, boring stories (irrelevant to subject you desire to study) and floods of "facebook-friend-requests".

All-and-all, it's free, and you meet some cool people and learn good subjects, but you don't receieve a tangible credits.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

A fairly comprehensive list for those who are interested:

12 Dozen Places To Educate Yourself Online For Free

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I feel that this is the wave of the future. The purpose of the internet is to share knowledge. Yes it will hurt many colleges, just as the internet has hurt newpapers. But this is the direction of progress.

• MC RubberMallet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit