does the watchtower still believe this?

by lastchance 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lastchance
    lastchance

Questions From Readers ? Some animals have characteristics that seem especially suited to killing, such as lions and poisonous snakes. How can this be, if they were all vegetarians at one time?—L. K., Netherlands.

It is understandable that this question might arise, for as things stand now many animals do kill one another for food. But please note that this is as things stand now. Is there anyone on the earth who can say from personal observation how these animals acted six thousand years ago?

Another thing, is one justified in concluding that the way an animal uses its body today is the only possible way?As an example, a tiger uses its fangs and claws to catch, kill and tear apart other animals. Yet, could not these same fangs and claws be used in tearing apart heavy vegetation and ripping off husks and shells? wt69 9/1

So tigers eat seafood? What type of vegetation needs such teeth?

• milola
    milola

I think they would be refering to nut shells not shell-fish.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Is there anyone on the earth who can say from personal observation how these animals acted six thousand years ago?

Well, yes - there are such people on earth. They are called archeologists, biologists, and paleontologists.

And they are scientifically aware (without so much as even a second thought) that lions did not grow claws and fangs in the last six thousand years.

But to answer the topic question - although the JWs may be hedging their bets on the 7,000 year long creative day, I am pretty sure they still believe that Adam was in the garden a little over 6,000 years ago - and that all animals were vegatarians at that time. They have never bothered to explain such parasitic creatures as the amoeba or the lamprey eel.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

OMG. I did not know such a magazine existed. That is really their argument?

"Is there anyone on the earth who can say from personal observation how these animals acted six thousand years ago?"

No, but supposedly Daniel was thrown in a pit with lions and he was quite fearful. Not because he would have to share his salad with them but likely because he thought they might eat him. Let's see.....that was supposed to have happened more than 2,500 years ago. Lions are still just as carnivorous and feared as ever. Are we to believe that perhaps in the 3500 years prior to that they somehow went from cute and cuddly to vicious and aggressive?

"Yet, could not these same fangs and claws be used in tearing apart heavy vegetation and ripping off husks and shells?"

This is beyond ridiculous. Can a sword be used to peel an apple? Yes. Therefore a sword is not a weapon. The leaps of logic that it takes to believe this crap is amazing.

Ya know....I was scuba diving once in the Bahamas. I went to the ocean floor and I saw quite a few lobsters. Then....out of nowhere....swims this Tiger! I'll be damned if that tiger didn't grab that lobster and swim away with it. The next thing I knew, that tiger was back on shore.....having already used his fangs and claws to tear off the shell. If memory serves me correct, the tiger cooked the lobster tail right there on the beach in a zesty lemon herb butter sauce.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Lions only became carnivorous in the year 2370 BC just after Noah let them off the Ark with strict instructions NOT to eat the antelope until it had propagated itself.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I think they HAVE to continue believing it - or at least, pretend to still believe it.

After all, if they suddenly accepted the scientific evidence that sharks [to name one of the oldest predators still in existence] have been eating meat for the last 350+ million years, and that Allosaurus, Tyrannosaurus rex and other raptors were all eating meat before tigers - and man - ever came along...

That totally destroys their claim that there will be a "new world/new paradise earth" wherein the faithful followers can SAFELY have pet lions, tigers and bears, oh my!!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Awake 04 12/8 p 30 "From Our Readers"

"Your article stated that in God’s new world, “all animals, both domestic and wild, will be at peace with one another.” Is it reasonable to believe that predatory animals will no longer exist?

D. B., Canada

“Awake!” responds: Since man’s fall into sin, many things on our planet have been out of balance. It remains to be seen exactly how the Bible’s prophecies mentioning harmony among animals in Paradise will be fulfilled. But we have the utmost confidence that our Creator will remove from our planet all that is harmful.—Psalm 37:10, 11."

Go figure

NB I have enough trouble removing cat poop from the lawn. I would need a shovel to deal with that left by a lion !!
  • ziddina
    ziddina

BluesBrother, who/what the heck is "NB"???

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    "But we have the utmost confidence that our Creator will remove from our planet all that is harmful."—Psalm 37:10, 11

As usual, the scripture they reference has nothing to do with question asked.

10 Yet a little while and the wicked man will be no more; And you will look carefully for his place and he will not be there. 11 But the humble will inherit the land And will delight themselves in abundant prosperity.

The WT often has large predators in its Paradise pics. There is one in this month's Window Dressing Watchtower.

If you put this answer together with the pics, you are expected to come to the conclusion that these large predators will be present, but harmless to humans. Your average JW doesn't like to think about this too much, so it is a good subject to quiz them on, especially if you know a fair bit about nutrition in cats. If they trot out anecdotal evidence about some zoo that fed lions cabbage during the war, ask them to find an article that proves that really happened ..... hint ..... it didn't, the big cats were either fed donated horse meat or were put down, and that is what they will find if they look.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

This thread is a duplicate, use the other thread (link below) so we're all on the same one please.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/233871/1/does-the-watchtower-still-believe-this

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit