Why I know that the world is flat

by stuckinamovement 10 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Why I know the world is flat.

By Iamani Diot

The World is flat. This is the most important belief that I possess. This knowledge defines me, and is my point of reference for all that I believe.

These are the reasons that I know the world is flat:

1. The Sun falls off of the edge of earth at night and reappears from below in the morning.
    2. Everyone who has left my village and journeyed to the West never has returned.
    3. The rain does not build up to a flood, because it drains off the edge of the earth.
    4. My family has known the fact that the world is flat for 1,000 generations. My father knew it was true, and his father all the way back to our ancient ancestors. Could all of these intelligent men be wrong for centuries? Impossible! This proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that the earth is flat.
    5. People have sacrificed their lives to affirm this truth that the earth is flat. Why would someone suffer and die for something that was not true?

Despite the abundant proof mentioned above, there are some among us who dispute the fact that the earth is flat. These ones are arrogant imposters, not of our sort, who are determined to corrupt our minds. They are mentally diseased.

The Devil has blinded their minds and gotten them to question the most basic of all truths. Once they question the simplest of truths and claim that the world is round; then their minds are open for all sorts of deception. One doubt is all it takes. My fellow Villagers, never let your hearts be tested by these foolish questionings of men. Always remember that one thing can never change....The world is flat. Let this truth safeguard you and reject the false arguments that the Devil makes.

• Diest
    Diest

I like this. It is true because everyone else believes it.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Good work, SIAM. Hope all is well.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Well, you seem like you know what you're talking about, and said it with so much conviction, how could it be wrong?

Besides, it's so outlandish of a claim that NO ONE could make anything like that up: so it MUST be true!!

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Apostate Propoganda! We (JW's) always knew the world was wrong. It says so in JOB!

Remember that one? They are so cutting edge when it comes to science!

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

As an old timer, remaining steadfast to the teachings of pastor Russell let me disagree:

The world is a pyramid!

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

No one commented on my pen name?? Oh well...lol

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

SIAM said:

No one commented on my pen name?? Oh well...lol

Hey, whatever someone wants to call his pen is no one else's business but his...

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

are you a prophet and are you looking for followers?

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

Hey, my older brother actually sprang these arguments on me when I was a kid! Well, really what he did was proclaim that he believed the Earth was flat and then asked me to prove him wrong. Then I got frustrated as he shot down all of my arguments. I told him that when the Apollo astronauts looked back at the Earth from the moon they saw it was a sphere (and we saw it as well, live on TV). He said that was all staged, and wouldn't listen to my feeble arguments about how grand a conspiracy that would entail (not that I knew the word conspiracy at the time.) Then I told him that in a lunar eclipse the shadow of the Earth was round against the moon. He said that just proved it was a flat disk. I told him that people had sailed around the world without falling off. He replied: "You don't know that; maybe they have fallen off the Earth for all you know." That's probably all I could come up with at the time, and in conclusion he said I had failed miserably to disprove him (although he didn't really believe the Earth was flat).

It was a good lesson to learn at a young age (albeit delivered in the high-handed fashion of an older brother): if people want to believe something they will find ways to dismiss all arguments to the contrary, no matter how reasonable those arguments may seem to the non-believers. So I have learned to state the facts as I know them, and then not be surprised (or hurt) when people don't abandon their beliefs on the basis of those facts. In any case I've done my duty by informing them, and the rest is up to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit