No soliciting = Solicit, only if you're a JW!

by Preston 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Preston
    Preston

When I was an active JW in the field ministry, I was timid to the usual "no soliciting" sign and it was always an elder, or a po, or a c.o. who reminded me to not skip the house (which I did) with a "no soliciting" sign out front because the field ministry was not the same thing as soliciting (of course we're not soliciting members for our church, we're just warning you that if you don't become a member of our religion you're toast!) I was a rather timid witness, so didn't care if they joined the religion or not, but I never did liked the reasoning that was put into preaching to people who had conspicuously placed "no soliciting" signs (you know, maybe thay don't want anyone who they don't know knocking at their doors anyway).

BTW, whenever a house had a "no tresspassing" sign out in front it was said that it was okay to walk up to their door and preach to them as long as we stayed on the driveway (because the sidewalk usually led into someone's driveway, it was considered public property [8>]) Yeah, yeah...I know.

I think these are examples of a ministry that was conducted "by any means necessary". I often heard the illustration that if your neighbor was sleeping in a burning house, you would do anything in order to get their attention. But, of course, there was no danger. Hmmmmmmm.... too paranoid for me....

• butalbee
    butalbee

What about the houses that have the trained anti-JW attack pit bulls ready to charge upon opening the door??

• LB
    LB

With the love my wife shows towards dogs and all stupid creatures I would just send her to those doors.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Justin
    Justin

I think their ignoring of the "No Soliciting" signs had something to do with court cases that were won during the Rutherford era which exempted the JWs from obtaining peddler's licenses. Because they were not legally considered to be salespeople, the JWs ignored the "No Soliciting" signs.

It's too bad the WT did not exercise common sense, and adopt a policy that even though the signs did not LEGALLY apply to them, people who put forth the effort to install the signs probably didn't want to be bothered by anyone. Because of the WT's policy, I'm sure many JWs have been exposed to angry householders.

Justin

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

butalbee,
    The invisible angels will protect them. [8>]

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Preston,

BTW, whenever a house had a "no tresspassing" sign out in front it was said that it was okay to walk up to their door and preach to them as long as we stayed on the driveway (because the sidewalk usually led into someone's driveway, it was considered public property
    In this area, we were told if we ignored a 'no trespassing' sign, we were on our own, as the WT directives were they would not back you up if you were prosecuted.

Pat

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

On more than one occasion, I came across homeowners who covered EVERYTHING:

No loitering, no soliciting, NO WITNESSING!!!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm sorry if this is inappropriate but butlbee you are a handsome woman.

As to guardian angels,Roger Marquardt a very prominant elder in WI USA never missed the opportunity to tell his story of the time an invisible hand pushed him off the porch seconds before the house holder thru boiling water out at him.Of course these miracles occured in the 1930s.Today Jehovah lets his witnesses be tested by rape and killed like hundreds were in Rwanda.I guess that means they could be "bear" more than Roger.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I only saw one No Jehovah's Witnesses sign in all my years of door to door work.

I had the police called on me twice.

I was attacked by numerous dogs, one so determined lot to let us off the porch we had to take a broom from the porch and keep swinging it at him til we made our escape.

My mother and I were attacked by a hog once while on the porch of a trailer.

I was physically threatened about 6 times, once with a gun.

I called on numerous women in all states of undress but only 3 times do I remember men coming to the door in their underwear. Why couldn't it have been the other way around?

hugs

Joel

• butalbee
    butalbee

Anyone ever throw holy water at ya?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit