1975 ???

by Scorpion 91 Replies latest jw friends

• ianao
    ianao

You know TR, you are right. It does look like a cycle.

Sometimes, I don't know if the GB's actions are DELIBERATE deceptions by people trying to sell literature, or honest human mistakes by folks who fancy themselves God-led and are TOO FILLED with HUMAN PRIDE to admit that they were wrong.

You know, it could be a mutual thing though, as far as people "convienently forgetting" past mistakes by the society. Maybe the leaders don't wan't to admit that they were wrong, and maybe the MEMBERS didn't want to admit that they were in just another religion that totes 'TRUTH'. (Has this been stated elsewhere?)

Edited by - ianao on 24 January 2001 12:16:3

• Xandit
    Xandit

Sassenach, never bought into the "present understanding" or "present truth" business, at least not completely. To be fair, it's very rarely mentioned, a few times in some of the older publications I think. There is scriptural support for some things apparently being situational but it typically doesn't apply to basic doctrine. I have some questions about the marriage/divorce situation with Israel because they apparently were allowed some lattitude on the basis of their own attitude.

Hey, I'm not sheep in wolf's clothing or a wolf in sheep's clothing. I'm a hawk amongst sparrows. )

• Sassenach
    Sassenach
    I think this occurs for two reasons, the Society encourages it
    through clever explainations, and the person does it unconsciously, on their own to resolve cognitive dissonance and to ease the mental pain. Thus, everyone stays relatively content.

larc, that makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you.

Xandit,

To be fair, it's very rarely mentioned, a few times in some of the older publications I think.

Is that so? I haven't been around all that long and I hear it very often. No, maybe I haven't read the term in the publications, but very often I will ask questions and be told "I'll have to research to give you the present understanding". Regardless as to what term you use, the fact remains the same, that "understandings" change.

Have you considered a career in politics? You evade quite masterfully!

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

I think they get away with passing off new light - because most JW don't even read or study most wt literature - they depend on the one who has.

I personally was not aware of many of their teachings, until I started reading every bit of wt literature I could get my hands on. And I started reading because I thought I was helping my spiritual weakness and depression -- and after my study of their literature, I was amazed at what we had been fooled into believing. And when I say study, this meant looking up the information they referenced in the footnotes and looking up all the scriptures. After doing this I realized I had been fooled. BTW, the only reason I had enough time to do this extensive research was because I was put on disability for depression (if I was working and keeping up with my household, I would never had found the time to do this). As with the JW being able to do extensive research, it is very hard for them with the 5 meetings the field service, their jobs and family.

So the WTBS will get away with practically anything they want to pass on - as long as the JW don't take the time to read and study their so-called TRUTH. And believe me, they will find a new twist to encourage the JW to get out their with a urgency to spread their message. If you have read the latest watchtower study articles, you can see the message.

Happy to be Free (Me)

• TR
    TR

Sassenach,

On the subject of personal responsibility, I haven't got much tolerence for adults who willingly give their lives away to any organization that has such a poor record of prognostication.

Standing here, face red, hand raised. I was a young, ignorant adult, who bought it lock, stock, and false prophecy.

TR

• ISP
    ISP

If you input ‘1975’ into the CD ROM you get all the articles mentioning this date. I did it and it was not pretty. It seems the WTS supported the date from two standpoints
    1-prophetic/scriptural
    2-secular predictions

Taken together you cannot blame anyone from getting caught up in the thing.

Interestingly the years leading up to the ‘1975’ predictions were static so far as growth was concerned. The following contain quotes showing the no’s baptised.

*** w60 1/1 23-4 The Peace and Unity of Jehovah's Witnesses ***
    In 1959 many more persons in the world wanted to show their faith in Jesus Christ and be Christians and they proved it by their works. There were 86,345 men and women who were baptized by being completely immersed under the water, indicating that they had dedicated their lives to the service of Jehovah and that henceforth they were going to live full Christian lives to Jehovah’s praise

*** w61 1/1 19 Apply Your Hearts ***
    7 It is a joy to report that during the 1960 service year 69,027 persons were baptized in water in symbol of their dedication to the doing of Jehovah’s will. With these thousands of newly ordained ministers bringing forth good treasure from their hearts, many, many more thousands of people of good will will be reached with the good news of God’s kingdom.

*** w62 1/1 21 Be Imitators of Christ and Show Your Courage ***
    10 With 33,209 more witnesses of Jehovah reporting in 1961, there were only 1,032,856 additional hours spent in preaching the good news. Why? Had just these witnesses of Jehovah let their light shine twenty minutes a day, two and a half hours a week, ten hours each month, they could have spent 3,985,080 hours preaching the good news during the year. Throughout the world the average hours of the congregation publisher dropped, and the same can be said for the pioneers and special pioneers.

*** w63 1/1 29 'Fight a Fine Fight for the Faith' ***
    These, too, like the remnant who had dedicated their lives to God’s service, have symbolized their dedication to God’s service by water baptism. There were 69,649 individuals who did this. The baptizing of such a great crowd in just one year places a grave responsibility upon those who are already in the truth.

*** w64 1/1 27 Love and Boldness Lead to Life ***
    During the year 1963 Jehovah’s witnesses baptized 62,798 individuals from all nations, people and tongues

*** w65 1/1 26 Worship the God of Resurrection ***
    Just last year there were 68,236 persons baptized, showing that they have dedicated their lives to the doing of Jehovah’s will.

*** w66 1/1 24 What Has Christendom Done for You? ***
    In fact, during the last service year there were 64,393 baptized, showing that they have dedicated their lives to Jehovah God.

*** w67 1/1 21 The Report of Those Sent to Harvest ***
    In the 199 lands where Jehovah’s witnesses have been preaching during the past service year, 58,904 individuals have dedicated their lives to the doing of Jehovah’s will and symbolized this dedication by water immersion.

However that was to change with the publication of ‘Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God.’ Number of baptised ones would now increase dramatically.

*** w68 1/1 29 How Great a Witness? ***
    This Jehovah’s witnesses have been, because 74,981 individuals from all over the world have dedicated their lives to serve Jehovah and were baptized in water during the year 1967.

*** w69 1/1 25 Lovers of God's Name ***
    What a joy it has been to see 82,842 persons with whom Bible studies have been conducted in 1968 go on to dedicate their lives to Jehovah and be baptized in water in public symbol of their dedication to the doing of God’s will henceforth!

*** w70 1/1 15 The Implanting of the Word ***
    They dedicated their lives to Jehovah and in 1969 alone 120,905 persons were baptized and became Jehovah’s Christian witnesses.

*** w71 1/1 24 Have You Entered the Great Contest of Faith? ***
    There were 164,193 persons who left their former religious affiliation, changed their way of living, and took their stand on Jehovah’s side, dedicating their lives to the doing of Jehovah’s will.

*** yb72 42-3 1972 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses ***
    Outstanding during the service year was the number of persons baptized. The grand total for the 207 lands came to 149,808. That means, in just the past three years, 1969, 1970 and 1971, a total of 434,906 persons have presented themselves for baptism, having dedicated their lives to Jehovah God.

*** w73 1/1 23 Great Worldwide Witness in 1972! ***
    If you were, then you probably shared in helping some of the 163,123 lovers of righteousness who dedicated their lives to do Jehovah’s will and who were baptized during the past twelve months.

*** w74 1/1 26 "Faith Divorced from Deeds Is Lifeless as a Corpse" ***
    There were 193,990 individuals who became disciples, dedicating their lives to do the will of God and symbolizing this by water baptism.

*** w75 1/1 23 Appreciating the Things of God ***
    So it was that during the service year of 1974 Jehovah’s witnesses had the joy of seeing 297,872 individuals progress in their appreciation of Bible truth to the point that they got baptized in symbol of their dedication to Jehovah God.

*** w76 1/1 19 "Keep the Upright One in Sight" ***
    Can you imagine 295,073 people dedicating their lives to Jehovah during the past year and arranging their affairs to preach the good news of the Kingdom by going from house to house and conducting Bible studies with people that they have never met before?

So those coming into the truth rocketed during this period. The 1975 date was supported from a number of angles. The ‘take off’ started in 1966. This quote probably captured the spirit of the time. The release of the book was not going to be a ‘blessing’ of any description.

*** w66 10/15 628-9 Rejoicing over "God's Sons of Liberty" Spiritual Feast ***
    It did not take the brothers very long to find the chart beginning on page 31, showing that 6,000 years of man’s existence end in 1975. Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. “The new book compels us to realize that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed,” said a conventioner. Surely it was one of the outstanding blessings to be carried home!

The Watchtower gave firm indications that the date was well founded from a scriptural/prophetic point of view.

*** w67 4/15 236 Mankind's Millennium Under God's Kingdom-Why Literally So ***
    According to a more recent calculation of the Bible timetable, six thousand years of man’s existence will end in the latter half of the year 1975, which is well within this century.

*** w67 5/1 262 Where Are We According to God's Timetable? ***
    Interestingly, the autumn of the year 1975 marks the end of 6,000 years of human experience. This is ascertainable from reliable chronology preserved in the Bible itself. What will that year mean for humankind? Will it be the time when God executes the wicked and starts off the thousand-year reign of his Son Jesus Christ? It very well could, but we will have to wait to see. Yet of this we can be certain: the generation that Jesus said would witness those events is nearing its close. The time is close at hand. On God’s “timetable” we are in the closing days of a wicked system of things that will soon be gone forever. A glorious new order is immediately before us. This is, therefore, good reason for Christians everywhere to rejoice. Yes, they rejoice because fulfillment of their prayers for the kingdom of God is now at hand

*** w67 7/15 446-7 The Removal of Mankind's Chief Disturber ***
    Adam was created in 4026 B.C.E., which means that six thousand years of human history end about the fall of 1975 C.E. We are in the great 7,000-year rest day of God, starting at the time he rested after the creation of Adam and Eve. There are, therefore, a thousand years left to run. Without Satan and his demons to disturb mankind it will indeed be a restful

*** w68 5/1 271 Making Wise Use of the Remaining Time ***
    Thus, eight years remain to account for a full 6,000 years of the seventh day. Eight years from the autumn of 1967 would bring us to the autumn of 1975, fully 6,000 years into God’s seventh day, his rest day.

This article has a quite staggering quote in it so as to cast off all restraint that Matt 24.36 might ordinarily impose.

*** w68 8/15 500-1 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***
    35 One thing is absolutely certain, Bible chronology reinforced with fulfilled Bible prophecy shows that six thousand years of man’s existence will soon be up, yes, within this generation! (Matt. 24:34) This is, therefore, no time to be indifferent and complacent. This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that “concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Matt. 24:36) To the contrary, it is a time when one should be keenly aware that the end of this system of things is rapidly coming to its violent end.

*** w70 5/1 273 An Ingathering Affecting All Mankind ***
    However, Bible chronology which indicates that Adam was created in the fall of the year 4026 B.C.E. would bring us down to the year 1975 C.E. as the date marking 6,000 years of human history with yet 1,000 years to come for Christ’s Kingdom rule. So whatever the date for the end of this system, it is clear that the time left is reduced, with only approximately six years left until the end of 6,000 years of human history.

*** g71 10/8 26-7 Time of Rest and Refreshment at Hand ***
    The Bible shows that we are nearing the close of 6,000 years of human history. Bible chronology reveals that human life began with Adam’s creation some 4,058 years before the death of Jesus (in the spring of the year 33 C.E.). By adding to this the years from Jesus’ death till now, we find that the completion of 6,000 years of man’s existence will come near the middle of this decade of the 1970’s.

*** g71 10/8 27 Time of Rest and Refreshment at Hand ***
    As we near the end of 6,000 years of human history in the mid-1970’s there is the thrilling hope of a grand relief

*** g71 10/8 3 Do You Want Relief from Life's Pressures? ***
    Is there any hope that the world will change so that damaging pressures will be a thing of the past? Based on man’s experience so far, you may quickly answer, NO! Yet, there is every reason to believe that in our time, likely this very decade, permanent relief will be realized!

*** w74 12/15 764-5 Benefits and Rewards from Being Spiritually Secure ***
    “The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah’s Kingdom.” And now, as the critical year of 1975 enters, it may well be asked: Has the Most High God of prophecy made a name for himself? The answer is self-evident, Yes! By whom? Not by Christendom or by Jewry, but by Jehovah’s Christian witnesses!

*** w74 12/15 766 Benefits and Rewards from Being Spiritually Secure ***
    And now, as the year 1975 opens up, some thousands of the anointed remnant, still alive on this earth, look ahead to realizing that joyful prospect. The increasing “great crowd” of their sheeplike companions look forward with them to entering the New Order without interruption of life. In the New Order Jehovah God will add to the “length of days” of the anointed remnant on earth to the point of satisfying the members thereof. It remains to be seen whether they will be yet retained here on earth to see the start of the resurrection of the earthly dead and to meet faithful witnesses of ancient, pre-Christian times. They would enjoy that, before being taken off the earthly scene to the heavenly reward with Christ.

The scriptural/prophetic support of 1975 was also bolstered by a fair number of spurious secular predictions re. Famine, communism, population explosion etc. These too got repeatedly mentioned.

*** w71 10/15 614 When All Nations Collide, Head On, with God ***
    Russian leaders say that they expect to have the whole world communized by the year 1975. However, the bloc of nations in the capitalistic, democratic camp are determined that such a political development shall not be, by 1975 or any other year. Is our earth therefore destined for a divided domination forever? Is that for man to say?

*** w74 4/1 196 Modern Food Shortage-Does It Fulfill Bible Prophecy? ***
    But many persons, perhaps including you, do not now live in obvious famine conditions. You may still have access to an abundance of food, relatively speaking. Nevertheless, U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization director-general A. H. Boerma says worse conditions are ahead for the whole world. Biologist Paul Ehrlich believes that actual worldwide famine is approaching. When? Back in 1970 he stated: “I think an estimate of 1975 is still as good as we can make, but it could be anywhere from 1972 to 1985, depending primarily on luck. I think the actual date is a quibble.”

*** w69 2/1 70 The Meaning of Present World Distress ***
    More recently, the book entitled “Famine—1975!” by William and Paul Paddock said concerning today’s food shortages, on pages 52, 55 and 61: “Hunger is rampant throughout country after country, continent after continent around the undeveloped belt of the tropics and subtropics. Today’s crisis can move in only one direction—toward catastrophe. Today hungry nations; tomorrow starving nations. . . . By 1975 civil disorder, anarchy, military dictatorships, runaway inflation, transportation breakdowns and chaotic unrest will be the order of the day in many of the hungry nations.”

*** w68 12/15 752-3 How We Know It Is Getting Near ***
    At the same time the political, financial, economic, social and religious elements are becoming more perplexed, and in their frustration these men are becoming faint not only out of fear but also out of expectation of the things that they can calculate are bound to come upon the earth. World famine is predicted for the year 1975. Appeal is being made to the United Nations organization to prevent the spreading of atomic and nuclear weapons into the hands of nations outside the Big Five nuclear powers of today. The missile gap between America and Russia is closing; Russia is nearing equality with the United States. There is great insistence that outer space must not be used for warfare.

*** g70 1/22 6 Will it Mean Food for Us to Eat? ***
    A noted scientist comments in Reader’s Digest, February 1969: “It is shockingly apparent that, in the battle to feed humanity, our side has been routed . . . . it is already too late to prevent a drastic rise in the death rate through starvation. In a well-documented book, Famine—1975!, William and Paul Paddock predict that the time of famines will be upon us full-scale in 1975 . . . . What’s done is done. We must look to the survivors, if any.”

*** g71 7/8 7 Communism's Challenge to the West ***
    The already huge land forces of Russia continue to grow in power. According to some predictions, by 1975 the Soviet Union will have three times the number of tanks the United States has, and more than twice as many as the United States and all its European allies put together.

*** g71 10/8 7 Do You Want Relief from Life's Pressures? ***
    ‘It is already too late to avoid famines that will kill millions, possibly by 1975 . . . Already half a billion people are slowly starving, another billion are malnourished.”—Prof. Paul R. Ehrlich, February 1970.

*** g72 7/8 26 "Pushing Against a Ceiling" ***
    In discussing the earth’s population, Nathan Keyfitz, Professor of Demography, pointed out that a doubling of earth’s population took place between 1825 and 1927, or in 102 years. The evidence is that a second doubling, from 2 to 4 billion (thousand million) will occur by 1975, or in just a space of forty-eight years.

*** g72 7/22 12 Will the "Green Revolution" Be Enough? ***
    This calls to mind the prediction made several years ago by two agronomists, William and Paul Paddock. In their book Famine—1975! they declared that world famine was inevitable during the mid-1970’s.

*** g73 6/22 3 Millions Ask: "What Are We to Eat?" ***
    Yes, there were. In fact, the book Famine—1975 (published in 1967) quoted Dr. R. Ewell as predicting: “The world is on the threshold of the biggest famine in history. If present trends continue, it seems likely that famine will reach serious proportions in India, Pakistan and China early in the 1970’s. . . . Such a famine will be of massive proportions affecting hundreds of millions.”

*** g73 7/8 29 Watching the World ***
    In 1967 William and Paul Paddock wrote the book Famine—1975. At the time many scoffed at their view that large-scale famines were possible by the mid-seventies. But what is being said now? The “deepening crisis” in food production and population growth world wide leads J. P. Brown to write in the New York Times: “It appears that the Paddock brothers’ prophecy for 1975 could begin to become a reality as early as 1974.”

*** g73 9/22 29 Watching the World ***
    “Six years ago, in their book Famine 1975, William and Paul Paddock warned that an international food crisis spurred largely by population increases would probably be upon us in 1975. But unusually bad weather and tragic unconcern may cause their prophecy to come true a year early.”

*** g73 10/8 5-6 Where the Present Road Is Leading ***
    What is now developing on a global scale was predicted several years ago. For example, among others, William and Paul Paddock in their book Famine 1975 had warned that world population growth was running ahead of food production and that a crisis could be expected in the mid-1970’s. In May 1973, a New York Times editorial commented: “It appears that the Paddock brothers’ prophecy for 1975 could begin to become a reality as early as 1974.” But the symptoms have already appeared before 1974.

*** g74 2/8 29 Watching the World ***
    “About ten years ago a number of scholars predicted darkly that given the size and present rate of growth of the population, the human race would inevitably experience a series of severe famines and social and political disruptions. Some ventured to say that the troubles would begin in earnest as early as 1975.”

*** g74 7/22 7 Record Crops, but Food Shortages-Why? ***
    “India’s oil bill, at precrisis levels of consumption and current prices, would take 80 per cent of India’s export earnings. Oil-fed fertilizer plants are in trouble. Fertilizer-fed ‘green revolution’ and the bumper crops India has enjoyed may now be ending. If so, 1975 may be India’s year of famine.”

*** g74 11/8 10 Is This the Time to Have Children? ***
    Further reinforcing the decision of some couples are ominous predictions for the immediate future. The Ithaca Journal of March 22, 1974, observed: “Normally restrained experts on energy, agriculture, population, and the global economy are starting to predict bankruptcy, social breakdown, and starvation for as many as one billion people by late this year or early 1975.”

*** g74 11/8 11 Is This the Time to Have Children? ***
    Today there is a great crowd of people who are confident that a destruction of even greater magnitude is now imminent. The evidence is that Jesus’ prophecy will shortly have a major fulfillment, upon this entire system of things. This has been a major factor in influencing many couples to decide not to have children at this time. They have chosen to remain childless so that they would be less encumbered to carry out the instructions of Jesus Christ to preach the good news of God’s kingdom earth wide before the end of this system comes.—Matt. 24:14.

*** g74 12/22 29 Watching the World ***
    ÷ The Paddock brothers’ well-known 1967 book Famine----1975! based its predictions on population growth and similar factors. Interestingly, a letter in Science magazine now reports that the former director of the Smithsonian Institution’s Astrophysical Observatory published a prediction in 1938 pointing to 1975 for different reasons. Based on sunspot cycles and water levels of the North American Great Lakes, he said that “there is much reason to expect a . . . drought beginning about 1975.” In 1963 he added: “I predicted about 1938 [drought] recurrence in the decade of 1950-1960. It proved very severe in [the] Southwest United States.” He then repeated his 1938 prediction of a ‘great drought’ that he said would “probably begin about 1975.”

*** pm 282 17 Unification in Spite of False Predictions ***
    IN THESE days ominous warnings are being sounded of overpopulating the earth—population explosion!—and of world famine as early as the year 1975 C.E.

Add to this the KM articles

This KM encouraged the placing of the special October 8, 1966 issue of Awake!, which considered the topic "Why Does God Permit Wickedness?" This issue contained the article "How Much Longer Will It Be?" in answer to the question "when will God bring an end to wickedness?" Under the subheading "6,000 Years Completed in 1975," it reasoned that the millennium would be the last 1000 years of a 7000-year rest day of God. On pages 19-20 it said:
    quote:

The Bible shows that when God began to shape the earth for human habitation, he worked for six "days," or time periods. From the indications in God's Word, each was apparently 7,000 years in length. Then Genesis 2:22 states, Jehovah "proceeded to rest on the seventh day from all his work that he had made." This seventh day, God's rest day, has progressed nearly 6,000 years, and there is still the 1,000-year reign of Christ to go before its end. (Rev. 20:3, 7) This seventh 1,000-year period of human existence could well be likened to a great sabbath day, pictured by the sabbath day God commanded ancient Israel to keep after working for six days. (Ex. 20:8-10; 2 Pet. 3:8) After six thousand years of toil and bondage to sin, sickness, death and Satan, mankind is due to enjoy a rest and is in dire need of a rest. (Heb. 4:1-11) Hence, the fact that we are nearing the end of the first 6,000 years of man's existence is of great significance.
    Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. From the most reliable investigations of Bible chronology, harmonizing with many accepted dates of secular history, we find that Adam was created in the autumn of the year 4026 B.C.E. Sometime in that year Eve could well have been created, directly after which God's rest day commenced. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975. This is worthy of notice, particularly in view of the fact that the "last days" began in 1914, and that the physical facts of our day in fulfillment of prophecy mark this as the last generation of this wicked world. So we can expect the immediate future to be filled with thrilling events for those who rest their faith in God and his promises. It means that within relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end."

Continuing the theme of urgency, the December 1966 KM said (p. 4): "Never have we felt the nearness of Armageddon and the urgency of our work as we do now."
    The February 1967 KM contained an insert with the sub-article "Serving Jehovah in the Time Remaining" (pp. 4-5). It commented on the number of "vacation pioneers" and asked, "what motivated them to vacation pioneer?" The answer included these comments:
    quote:

Many of them had in mind Jesus' electrifying words: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." Our very generation is seeing the sign marking Jesus' second presence. Truly, "the time left is reduced." (Matt. 24:34; 1 Cor. 7:29) For this reason many of your brothers, young and old, appreciated the importance of serving God in the time remaining. Having Scriptural responsibilities that prevented them from sharing in the ministry as regular pioneers, missionaries or members of Bethel families, they demonstrated their appreciation of the shortness of the time remaining by vacation pioneering.

The lead article "All the More So" in the July 1967 KM (p. 1) said:
    quote:

Are you glad that you have remained faithful until now? Certainly! ... This being true, what should be our attitude toward meeting together in the days ahead as the end of the old system draws near and the outside pressures increase? The apostle Paul provides the answer in the verses that support our theme for the month of July. Read carefully Hebrews 10:23-25 and note Paul's encouragement to meet together and build one another up and to do this all the more so as we "behold the day drawing near." Obviously, then, we will need to give even more attention to supporting God's house in the time ahead.

The lead article "The Finest Work on Earth" in the October 1967 KM (p. 1) continued the theme of preaching with a sense of urgency:
    quote:

It is a real pleasure to have a part in the finest work done on earth today, the work Jehovah is asking us to do in these "last days," isn't it? All of us appreciate that there is little time left for this present system of things. In the remaining time it is our desire to share in the preaching work as fully as possible so as to help many more honest-hearted persons to escape from Babylon the Great.

The lead article "Help Wanted" in the December 1967 KM (p. 1) said:
    quote:

"For what?" you may ask. To do the Kingdom preaching work. The remaining time is short, and, as Jesus put it, "the good news has to be preached first," before the old system comes to its end. (Mark 13:10) True, there are more than 300,000 helpers in the field in this country, but we know you will agree that more are needed to get the job done thoroughly.

The March 1968 KM contained an insert titled "An Opportunity to Increase Your Happiness" (pp. 3-6) that encouraged "vacation pioneering" in April. It contained some statements that were electrifying to many of the friends:
    quote:

Since we have dedicated ourselves to Jehovah, we want to do his will to the fullest extent possible. Making some special effort to do more than the usual helps us live up to our dedication. In view of the short period of time left, we want to do this as often as circumstances permit. Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man's existence on earth is completed. Do you remember what we learned at the assemblies last summer? The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out, and there are no resurrection hopes for those who are destroyed then. So, now more than ever, it is vital not to ignore that spirit of wanting to do more.

It is obvious that the Society was now strongly encouraging the friends to believe that Christ would begin his millennial rule very soon, likely by about the beginning of October 1975. The "Dear Publishers" letter in the June 1968 KM continued this theme:
    quote:

Yes, Jehovah has surely filled our mouths with song, and as we move on into June's activities, expressing gratitude in a practical manner, we shall, in effect, be sharing in a victory procession--the joyful march toward mankind's grand millennium of deliverance!

at the time from Adam's creation to the birth of Seth was 130 years, and on page 538, under the subject "Eve," it said that at the age of 130 Eve gave birth to Seth.
    The 1969 booklet The Approaching Peace of a Thousand Years was also definite about 1975. On pages 25-26 it said:
    quote:

More recently earnest researchers of the Holy Bible have made a recheck of its chronology. According to their calculations the six millenniums of mankind's life on earth would end in the mid-seventies. Thus the seventh millennium from man's creation by Jehovah God would begin within less than ten years...
    In order for the Lord Jesus Christ to be "Lord even of the sabbath day," his thousand-year reign would have to be the seventh in a series of thousand-year periods or millenniums.

Note the language once again: for Jesus to be Lord of the sabbath, his Millennial reign would have to be (not "it might be") the seventh in a series. This is a definite statement.
    At the summer district conventions of 1968 the Society instituted a new six-month bible study program to be based on the new "Truth" book -- The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life -- a.k.a., "the blue bombshell". This program was a direct result of acting on the belief that the times were particularly urgent. The September 1968 Kingdom Ministry (p. 8) gave details of the new program in the article "A New Outlook on Bible Studies" in "Presenting the Good News":
    quote:

Free home Bible studies are a hallmark of Jehovah's witnesses the world around. How helpful this work has been in aiding hundreds of thousands of persons to come to an accurate knowledge of the truth and to take their stand on Jehovah's side! But now time is running short for this old system of things and we want to help as many sheeplike ones as we can to learn the truth and act on it while there is still time.
    So we have a new approach to use in the Bible-study work. Yes, it is still free of charge. But, as suggested at the "Good News for All Nations" district assemblies this summer, we will seek to help as many people as possible through a six-month Bible-study program.
    To accomplish this, endeavor to hold your studies each week. If an unavoidable situation arises and you personally have to miss a study, perhaps another publisher with whom the householder is acquainted can conduct the study that week. Progress is directly related to the regularity of the study. Have in mind helping them learn enough of the truth so that they can act on it within six months...
    At all times keep before interested ones the importance of beginning to associate with Jehovah's people at the meetings. If, at the end of six months of intensive study and conscientious efforts to get them to meetings, they are not yet associating with the congregation, then it may be best to use your time to study with someone else who really wants to learn the truth and make progress. Make it your goal to present the good news on Bible studies in such a way that interested ones will act within six months!

During this time the Society continued stressing the urgency of the times. The lead article "Making Known an Urgent Message" in the October 1968 KM plugged the above-quoted October 8 special Awake! on "Is It Later Than You Think?":
    quote:

A few weeks ago you heard a letter read to your congregation about the October 8 special issue of Awake! But by now you no doubt have your own copy, and you have seen for yourself what it contains. Isn't it fine? How appropriate this material is for our magazine that bears the title "Awake!" With a powerful array of facts, persuasive argument and visual aids it drives home the point that we really are living in the "last days." Kindly but firmly it emphasizes the fact that the time left is very short and that, if a person wants to serve God and survive into his righteous new system, he must take the necessary steps now.

The November 1968 KM again emphasized the urgency of the new bible study program, and made it clear that publishers were to discontinue studies that were unproductive after six months. This was a two-pronged method that got publishers to be more enthusiastic door-to-door preachers, and forced bible students to really think about what they were learning. The "Presenting the Good News" article "In the Short Time Remaining" gave suggestions on presenting the Truth book, and said (p. 8):
    quote:

How often does your congregation cover its territory? Do you reach every home at least three times a year? Is it a thorough coverage each time, getting each not-at-home and speaking to different occupants in the house? In view of the shortness of the remaining time, it makes one stop and think, doesn't it?
    Also, after you have found interested persons and started home Bible studies with them, think how long it takes to teach them the truth, bring them along to dedication and baptism, train them in the field ministry and assist them to progress to maturity! Yes, we all do well to think seriously about having a good share now in the door-to-door work, not postponing it until some later time.--Mark 13:10.
    There are other reasons for sharing fully in the door-to-door work. With the improved method of conducting home Bible studies, many students will be making a decision much sooner than has been done in the past. Some will show the necessary initiative and will act. They will progress toward maturity much faster and the study can be stopped sooner. Others will not act on the knowledge they take in and we will discontinue the study. Thus it will not be a matter of conducting a study for years as some have done in the past but there will be a concluding of studies and a need to start new studies. It will require regular and effective door-to-door work in order for these new studies to be started. It will be good to be conducting more than one study at a time so that we will be regular in this feature of the work and thus will always be teaching someone the truth if one of our studies is discontinued.

The March 1970 KM reported on how well the friends were doing in dropping unproductive bible students. The article "Become `Intensely Occupied with the Word'" in "Presenting the Good News" said (p. 4):
    quote:

A little over a year ago we were introduced to the six-month home Bible-study program. We immediately grasped that this would be an additional effective method to help get the work done in the short time remaining.
    Now reports from the field show that Bible studies are being discontinued as publishers realize that the student is not making progress. This is entirely proper. There is no reason to spend our time with those who obviously are not really interested in doing something about the truths they are learning. Some publishers still ask, "How can I know whether to discontinue the study when they appear to be interested and still are glad to have me come?" The answer is that we discontinue studies when it is apparent that there is not the appreciation for the truth that there should be. There might be interest in continuing to take in knowledge. But is there appreciation for the knowledge already taken in? Appreciation for Jehovah and the truth is demonstrated by deeds...
    Apparently the matter is being taken seriously by the brothers, because circuit servant reports show that many publishers unhesitatingly discontinue studies when the time comes to do so.

So you were lucky if you didn’t take it seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ISP

• Sassenach
    Sassenach
    Standing here, face red, hand raised. I was a young, ignorant adult, who bought it lock, stock, and false prophecy.

TR! I'm sorry if I've insulted you, but it sounds like you aren't fooled anymore. Actually, I've met a number of people online who were fooled as well. Very smart people too. I understand having faith is basic beliefs and all. What I'm not so sure of, is the things like knowing the time of the end and then limiting your life because of it. I've met many people who have done just that. One told me she felt like she had blinders taken off, suddenly it was so obviously wrong.

And I can't believe some of the stories I've read of children dying with their refusal for blood. These are not stories from others but from witnesses. I can't understand a parent, especially in this day when the policy keeps changing, that can put 100% in anything their leaders have to say. It rattles me. How could they not doubt them when it came down to the life of a child or their own life?

• larc
    larc

Sassenach,

If you haven't read it, I would recommend a book called "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer. It is a sociological masterpiece. Interestingly, Hoffer was not a sociologist, but a long shoreman, who was self taught. I read his book when I first came out, and reread it again a few years ago. He gives an excellent explaination of the phenomena that you are pondering.

• Sassenach
    Sassenach

Larc, I will look for it. Thanks.

• TR
    TR

Sassenach,

Naw, no insult taken. I was young and impressionable. My brother had become a JW earlier, and I respected him. I worked with JW's and listened to them as well. I liked what I heard and went with it. Not the sharpest tool in the shed at the time. Fortunately, I picked a smart wife, and she didn't fall for it. She stuck with me though, and we're still together.

TR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit