Earthquake!.. and JW superstition.

by apocalypse 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• apocalypse
    apocalypse

While in service on Saturday, I was sitting with an elder that I have known for years having a coffee break. We were discussing the up-coming convention and what we had to do etc. Then, (there was a TV up on the wall in the coffee place where we were) on the screen burst the news of the Nepal earthquake.

The elder got all excited! 'It's the end...' was all over his face. You could tell as he came to life that he was thinking 'Jesus is here'...

Now that I understand the Olivet Discourse, I am always impressed, upon seeing such displays, with the superstitious nature of the feeble-minded witnesses.

Jesus warned his followers in his day that earthquakes are just happenstance and that the "end is not yet"... as "these things must happen", and to "not be afraid."

Yet, here we are today, 2000 years after the fact, and the same superstitions are fostered. Only now, you have organizations like Watchtower, not only fostering them, but going as far as to twist Jesus' warning against such superstitions in the first century into yet another source of fuel for these self-contradictory apostate ideas.

They are so very sad.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Yep. I was at a gathering about 7 years ago, at the beginning of the economic recession in the USA. A young ministerial servant said 'things are getting WORSE! Isn't it EXCITING??' With a crazed expression in his eyes.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Yeah...anyone remember 9/11??

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

They (JW) had a field day when the San Fernando California earthquake hit.

Why, because it was the year of 1971, four more years before your neighbors,

family, children, over 6 billion people are fried. The KH was filled at the next

meeting. This is a sign we are definitely in the last days and I believed that crap.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Golly that fear mongering brainwashing works .

You'd almost think the Watchtower Corporation was some kind of religious publishing house. ?

• Garrett
    Garrett
    It's sad that most witnesses are actually happy to hear of natural disasters instead of feeling sorrow for the people that died and the lives/families that were destroyed.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I do find it strange that you look down on JW as pitifully superstitious yet you have known TTATT for 13 years, are still going on FS and believe in Jesus.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Faye Dunaway - "A young ministerial servant said 'things are getting WORSE! Isn't it EXCITING??"

There's a "wait, what?" moment if I ever saw one.

x

I came to suspect a long time ago that JWs (and all apocalyptic-millennialist Christians, for that matter) absolutely need to do this to reassure themselves that it's not all bullshit.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

He was genuinely excited by seeing all the bad news, people losing their homes left and right, people committing suicide because of financial collapse...Armageddon is coming!!

I used it as a sort of teaching moment/reality check for my husband after we got home, at the time I was awake and fading, he was mentally still in, but never blind to reality. Stuff like this helped.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Yeah...9/11 was interesting at the KH. All the spiritual losers showed up. You couldn't find a seat. Who knew that 13 years later we'd be the spiritual losers. We finally figured out what the word "spiritual" meant. Spiritual ='s JW tasks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit