Relationship Issues: Boundaries, Freedom of Choice and Codependency

by 00DAD 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Apognophos:

That nonsense about "we're all brothers and sisters" is just that: nonsense.

It is hardly a brotherhood but instead is a very toxic and damaging place, especially if you are a single woman. While it is damaging to most, it is particularly damaging to them. People's attitudes and behavior towards you is nothing short of appalling and unacceptable. I felt I was alone when I tried to confide in other single sisters about how I felt. They accepted this inappropriate behavior and because of low self-esteem (partly brought on because of the religion), they did nothing to discourage it. I believe they wanted to be accepted and "loved", so they tolerated this abuse.

I, however, got tired of fending off users and all the other intrusive behavior and stayed on the fringes for the remainder of my stay in the religion. I became a "stranger" because it was either that or be the target in the congregation. I wasn't having it.

Then I found out the "truth" about the whole charade and it was over.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

OOdad this is an excellent thread, thank you. Sorry I missed it first time around. It has taken me many years to work all this stuff out, I wish I'd had the book long ago, could've saved myself a lot of pain.

Loz x

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

mmmmmm...

What is that wonderful scent, you ask?

Oh, it's called Freedom. You like it? It really is quite wonderful, isn't it...aaahhhhh

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

00DAD: Well, "gnophos" is usually translated as "gloom" or "darkness" in Hebrews 12:18. And "apo-" means "away from" :)

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Apognophos, glad you're moving out of the darkness!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

bttt!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

To resume a line of thought from my earlier post on page 3, I remembered another item of counsel for this particular MS in the congregation (besides "don't wear those socks" and "walk more quietly"): they were concerned that his short hairstyle stuck up too much on top, that apparently being "a worldly style". After some negotiation, he came to an agreement with the elder(s?) that he would slick it down more when he was going to be on stage. At the time all this counsel was happening, he was being considered for a "promotion". I jokingly suggested to him that this must be like an initiation or hazing process that all prospective elders go through. At least I pretended to be joking.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Another hair post. A comment was once made during a study that one of the ways we show consideration for our fellow brothers is by not shaving our head too shortly when working at RBC sites. You see, the brothers who come over from California to help at the build associate a shaved head with gang members, so it is intimidating to them to see brothers with shaved heads working alongside them. Thus, brothers are asked to let their hair grow out while working on the project. I am pretty sure even the faithful R&F were thinking, "WTF?" after that comment. How many more Pharisaical rules can they come up with?!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Apognophos: How many more Pharisaical rules can they come up with?!

00DAD

Apparently they have a limitless supply!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Bumpin' it for Roberta804

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit