I Believe Catholicism And Its Trappings Are Silly, Strange & Weird!!!

by minimus 306 Replies latest jw friends

• Sulla
    Sulla

Told, ya, binadub, though it gives me no joy in saying so.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

if all catholics/christians AREN'T the same, how is it that all atheists/pagans ARE the same?

• binadub
    binadub

Hmm, obviously Berengaria thinks strictly in terms of winning debate. To your question:

And what reason did they have for abolishing labor unions?

Presumably they were anti-union.

EP (or is it "Flash") :-))):

I will give you a hint that you are not grasping that claiming atheism of the sort I practice is simply because I find no valid reason to beleive in God. The kind of state atheism you are referring to is to quash all competition to the state, to make people dependent on it, to make it their mother and manipulate and control them. It has nothing to do with "We don't beleive in God and if you do, we will kill you because we really hate Jesus."

Atheism is a tool, in that sense, just like Jesus was on the flip side of the enslaving a murdering people. Atheism as a personal choice is not that at all.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not arguing against atheism. As an aside, I do think not everyone who professes atheism on this forum is in tune with the way most mainstream (never-been-dubs) atheist people view it. There is atheist as an adjective or adverb, and then there is atheist as a noun as professed here (as in "I am an atheist" (noun) as an expression of specific belief rather than the mere absense of belief. But I digress . . .

To address your comments:

This is not about what kind of atheism you personally believe in--nothing to do with that whatsoever.

For the point of discussion between you and me, it's been strictly about whether the USSR of Russia at one time killed people for having faith rather than professing atheism. You said it had nothing to do with atheism; I suggest you are wrong, irregardless of your personal beliefs or mine. When people are required to specifically profess atheism, that is about atheism. Now if the USSR mandate had been specifically to reject Christianity (as you imply it was about), that would be different. That you could say is not confined to being about atheism. But when the mandate is to profess atheism, that is about atheism, which I presume was not in fact limited to Christianity and Jesus, but was about rejecting faith in any power higher than the State of Russia at the time.

I would agree with you that that is not what atheism is about generally speaking, when it is indeed a personal choice as it is with you. I have absolutely no problem with people choosing atheism as an informed choice. But when Russia demanded profession of atheism, it was not a personal choice, and in that arena, it was about atheism. It wasn't "deny Jesus or I will kill you," it was "profess atheism or I will kill you." Big difference.

• binadub
    binadub

RBIH:

if all catholics/christians AREN'T the same, how is it that all atheists/pagans ARE the same?

They're not.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Government authorities can use atheism or religion to control the masses. Either way, it's a terrible thing. I've always felt rather bad for Jesus because so many people claim he said this or that and then blame him for their evil schemes. I'm sure a lot of what goes on in his name would make him cringe.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Binadub, it's Lord Flashhard, actually.

This is not about what kind of atheism you personally believe in--nothing to do with that whatsoever.

I was pointing out the distinction between atheism as a tool and a personal belief in atheism.

I suggest you are wrong, irregardless of your personal beliefs or mine. When people are required to specifically profess atheism, that is about atheism.

Irregardless isn't a word :)

Moving on, it's NOT about atheism. Not allowing people to worship their god of choice isn't at ALL about saying "I don't believe in God", it's the state saying "You are not allow churches or to worship, your allegiance is to the state and the state alone".

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Rbih, you can be supporting an agenda even if you are unaware of it. The Church doesn’t define itself in opposition to anyone. A big number of atheists define themselves as opposed to the Church. They may go about it in different ways, but their goal is the same, to bring down religion, and the Catholic Church in particular.

It is good to ask oneself, why did the WT always had this fixation with the Catholic Church? See where it leads you.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

The Church doesn’t define itself in opposition to anyone.

Ah, good to know they are in support of abortion, birth control, murder, kidnapping, etc. I mean, people do those things and they are therefore in support of those things.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

EP, sorry the message was intended for somebody with a brain.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Rbih, you can be supporting an agenda even if you are unaware of it. The Church doesn’t define itself in opposition to anyone. A big number of atheists define themselves as opposed to the Church. They may go about it in different ways, but their goal is the same, to bring down religion, and the Catholic Church in particular.

i want you to reread that statement and think of the total hypocrisy of what you just wrote

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit