Hare Krishnas? I Know This Site Is For JW But . . .

by InterestedOne 26 Replies latest jw friends

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I have learned a lot about cults on this site and cannot thank you all enough for helping me get a sense of what is going on with my JW acquaintance. As it turns out, another friend of mine told me she goes to the Hare Krishna temple. She is a wonderful person, and we have been spending time together having long conversations. She says she is "not a very good devotee."

Can any of you provide info/resources that will help me learn to what extent the Hare Krishnas have any cultic similarities to the JW's? I don't see much showing up on Google. My friend says attending the temple doesn't mean she has to go all the way with the shaved head, robe, etc., but I would like to find out if she is unwittingly becoming involved with something harmful, the way people gradually get manipulated by the JW's. I'd like to find the other side of the story with Hare Krishnas the way JWN provides the other side of the story with JW's. Can anyone here help me out? I welcome resources as well as discussion.

• ziddina
    ziddina

One thing...

You may ask her whether she's getting enough sleep at night, and whether she's being fed a nutritious diet.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

She appears healthier than most people I know. Vegetarian - as required by the Hare Krishnas, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. She is a yoga instructor and is incredibly fit. In fact, she was in a serious accident in which she broke her neck, and she feels the yoga helped restore her movement. The Hare Krishnas gave her lots of attention in the hospital, and she feels very grateful to them.

• still thinking
    still thinking

If she is doing yoga...is incredibly fit and healthy, and the hare krishnas helped her, this is more than enough evidence that their belief is true. I mean, who else helps people like that, and are fit?

I say join today...

• jgnat
    jgnat

A quick google search got me a former member's blog. I searched "Hare Krishna former". Here's two similarities I noted:

"One was that whenever anyone leaves Krishna consciousness, they are destined to end up in the same negative positions they were in before the started Krishna consciousness.... The underlying assumption is that one cannot be progressive in their lives, they cannot aim for self-betterment, outside of the Krishna conscious community. And if they leave that community, they will be doomed to a life of pain and suffering. "

"How they react is that they construct their own explanations as to why devotees have left. This serves to shift any possible blame away from the pristine and amazing leadership, camaraderie, facility and training which they have been offered, and instead places the blame 100% on the shoulders of the person exiting the community."

Oops, here's the blog: "Journey of a Blind Heart"

• Londo111
    Londo111

Likely, if you are directly negative toward the group, it might not go so well. Just share your story as a JW and how BITE mind control factored into your experience. She is bound to see similarities without you drawing the connection.

• mP
    mP

If you study the Hare Khrishna religion you will discover interesting parallels with Jesus.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Don't know if this is much use, but it looks interesting...

http://cultbustersgalactica.yuku.com/topic/85

• umadevi
    umadevi

Visit their official website www.iskcon.com

International society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). Used to attend their yearly convention years back.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

InterestedOne- You have a Jw acquaintance and a Hare Krishna friend. Be very careful!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit