Rutherford Letter To Moyle

by Bangalore 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing that can now be realized is that Rutherford was indeed successful in holding onto the power and wealth of the WTS.

All he had to do was keep writing up the bullshit that lured a segment of the population to buy and further distribute his publications

and that which was there was his to keep and flourish in, he did so right up to the day he died.

A true model of a 20th century religious charlatan.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

YB '75 p84

"said A. H. Macmillan, “and was very kindhearted; but he was not naturally of the same gentle, quiet-mannered disposition as Russell. He was direct and outspoken and did not hide his feelings. His bluntness, even when spoken in kindness, was sometimes misunderstood. "

LoisLane said :
    William Heath age 34 and his wife Bonnie age 41, the previous named Bonnie Boyd, Rutherford's long time lover

The same Yearbook reference

"Further insight into Rutherford’s personality is gained from what took place in the Bible Students’ old London Tabernacle when he gave the Memorial talk there on April 18, 1924. Concerning this, Sister William P. Heath writes: “The Tabernacle was an old Episcopalian church that the Society had bought cheap, and they used it for Sunday meetings as we use a Kingdom Hall today. . . . The place for the speaker was way up at the ceiling, about twenty feet off the floor. Only his head would be visible when addressing the audience. Maybe this is why Brother Rutherford called it the ‘horse trough.’ He refused to speak from it; in fact, he shocked the brothers by coming down and standing on a level with them.”

Don't misunderstand me - I just thought I would post up their own admission that he was a obtuse character... I am not defending him !

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

If one has time, the Gilead and Bethel libraries are full of old WTs with Ruthrfords bull all in it. Part of my awakening and leaving centered on how much of an idiot Rutherford was and how the GB still insisted that he was prophesied as a leader straight from the bible.

Wonder if he typed this from his mansion in California?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

WHERE did that letter come from? It seems to be in very good condition for being that old. Whoever has it, it would be good to get more pictures or authentication. People can just say it's photoshoped.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LoisLane.....The info is all here, enjoy: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/77915/29/Rutherford-Exposed-The-Story-of-Berta-and-Bonnie#3764414

EndofMysteries....It is provenanced to former Bethelites William & Joan Cetnar who published it in "An Inside View of the the Watchtower Society" in 1983 (p. 72 of Questions for Jehovah's Witnesses). Their source surely would have been the Moyles, who left the Society shortly after the letter was written.

The letter was written en route during Rutherford's 1938 trip to Australia. The trip is discussed on pp. 447-448 of Proclaimers. Among Rutherford's entourage included Bonnie Boyd Heath, William Heath, Berta Peale, and his son Malcolm Rutherford and his wife Pauline.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Interesting info, thanks! I am doing some reading myself, and from what I have always read, Malcolm left the JWs early on and didn't want anything to do with his father. The fact that he went on a trip with his father alongside with his wife suggests something else. This was less than 4 years before Rutherford died, yet he didn't show up at his dad's funeral. Though it's senseless to endlessly speculate on an answer we could never possibly have more than second or third hand information on, it's quite plausible that the Judge knew that his son had all the dirt and it made sense to maintain some sort of friendly relationship with him.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wow what a surprise.

He was the one to instigate the arrests in the first place. it was all contrived so he could sue sue sue and rake in some publicity and a lot of money too.

• LogCon
    LogCon

m

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit