Merchandising in Watchtower

by indicetj.com 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It is a little bit of product placement.

http://indicetj.com/pdf/apostila/figura100.pdf

The publications constantly flog its brand, pushing people to obtain and read its literature as a cure for virtually any problem. This includes many not too subtle pictures of people placing literature. Then there are the many sideline businesses like Circuit Leasing that help fill the Watchtower coffers. It is the next logical step to sell product placement spots to outside corporations, with carefully selected products that do not tarnish a "wholesome" image. Nothing to see here folks, just another corporation seeking to expand its market opportunities to maintain revenue. The "religion" sold is merely another of its products.

• indicetj.com
    indicetj.com

Merchandising in Watchtower?

Look ilustration nº 100

http://indicetj.com/pdf/estudo_2_jehovah.htm

• Aware!
    Aware!

Indicetj.com:

Did you see the pictures?

Yes I did. Thanks for pointing them out.

• indicetj.com
    indicetj.com

Aware! - ok

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Very disturbing.

Wouldn’t want to spend the night in Bethel, just in case.

There seems to be something rotten in Bethel.

• fredPotato
    fredPotato

buy a magazine and get 10% off on a Coke.. lol

• rmt1
    rmt1

Can someone in authority with this forum explain what this thread attempts, succeeds, and fails to do?

The reason I ask is that I heard there is a picture of an upsidedown coke can in some Watchtower somewhere. The insinuation of which without evidence is ghosts, UFOs.

• fredPotato
    fredPotato

the aforementioned website contains images taken from WT publications that contain or suggests some trademark products.

This is called Product Placement or Embedded marketing... pretty much the same thing as the Pepsi scene on Back to the future 2...

it is a very widespread technique that benefits both the advertiser (by means of an agreement with the product owner) and the owner of the advertised product (by having more exposure)

Indicetj is implying that the WT might be promoting, although secretly, some products... and along with that, some $$ might have come.

I've taken the liberty of extracting these images for comparison:

w6/1 1994 p.17 (ptBR) w6/1 1994 p.17 (ptBR)

LEARN FROM THE GREAT TEACHER p.160LEARN FROM THE GREAT TEACHER p.160

Given the circulation of these mags, this argument could sound at least plausible...

That's it.

• rmt1
    rmt1

Thank you!

Now that I have seen some evidence, my scandal-o-meter is having trouble getting above a zero. Seems to me this kind of a marketing deal falls under the plausible deniability of maintaining verisimilitude. It's probably the Most verisimilitude that these Inner Party staged events have ever had, in fact, if they get to use props that real people (not fake people), actually use in their everyday life. The primary occular victims (JWs) will get to think that their tireless efforts intersect in some way, tangibly, with the false world of materialism, via some select materials. They have practised crimestop enough that a $ connection won't linger long.

Taking a second long close look at the Adidas picture... You'd have to have a CSI "Enhance" button, but if I am not mistaken the marketed product has faintly higher resolution and deeper contrast. See if you agree or if you think I'm seeing things. It would require Fourier image analysis to tease out what my eye thinks it sees. For the coke photograph, no, it's all the same resolution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit