Staying married to a JW

by daniel-p 18 Replies latest members private

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I stopped going to meetings in 2005, as designated by my JWN member date. Since then, off and on, I have had marital problems. Sometimes I posted about it here. Most times not. The other day we had an argument and my wife told me that sometimes she doesn't feel like she loves me.

She talked about how I can be critical and impatient with her, and she's right. I'm on edge a lot, and pick on little things she does, like when she leaves doors open for flies to come in the house, loses the car keys, etc.

Other times I get frustrated with her based on the many negative things she says, like being fat (in reality she's not fat, never has been fat, and never will be fat), undermining her own confidence at work (she's totally competent and excells at everything), or undervaluing the time we share once we finally have it. It's frustrating, because I've heard these types of things for the entire ten years we've been married and no matter how much positive reinforcement I give her, it never seems to make a difference. And when I ignore her comments along these lines, when she starts getting negative, she accuses me of not listening to her and not caring. She's right, because I've said the same things to her for 10 years. She's like a friend who is never quite happy with herself and can only talk about that.

So the other day we were arguing about these sorts of things and I said a few things very strongly, very bluntly, but not mean-spirited. That's when she broke down crying and told me about sometimes not loving me, and not knowing if we were going to make it. I've heard it before, at least a few times, starting the year I stopped going to meetings. Then she starts talking about feeling lonely, alienated, since she feels strongest and happiest when she's trying to be an active JW and that's when she feels furthest from me... all the things that believing spouses tell their non-believing spouses, and things which I'm sure many people here have heard.

We've recently moved back to our hometown, and so there's lots of friends she knows and nearly everyone is in The Truth(TM). I've successfully faded this entire time, so I hang out with them when the occasion arises, avoid the elders, and avoid conversations to the effect of "when are you going to start coming back to the meetings"? (I stare off blankly and change the topic.). For the past year I've been a stay-at-home dad, supporting her going to work, and taking care of our daughter. I've done about 600 tubs fulls of dishes, and at least twice as many diaper changes. I stay home, workout, brew beer, make dinner, and play with my daughter.

It's ironic, because I've obviously been alienated as well, and to a seemingly greater degree than her, since I'm the one not going to meetings. But she feels alienated due to her lack of a meetings-going husband, and the fact that with the limited time she has with me and our daughter, she really has no time to go to the meetings. I'm saddened that, after about seven years of me being inactive, she aparently still gets caught up in the image of a JW husband, because it's something we both know I can never be.

We have a beautiful 27-month old daughter now. Nothing gets easier or less complicated. About five years ago she told me many of these same things, and the pain of leaving each other was too great for me to consider. Now, just imagining being away from my baby girl is something I simply can't handle. But it's there.

We've lasted ten years, and just celebrated our tenth anniversary. We're happy most of the time, or at least I am. I don't know anymore if she's as happy as me. I don't know if how we are now is as good as we can get. I don't know how much I'll be able to change, and if it's enough change for her to feel like she loves me all the time, and not just sometimes. I don't know how much pain can exist between us until it's greater than the pain of knowing our daughter will grow up without her father. I don't know how or when I can feel intimately in love with her again since she's said these things, because although I've heard them before, this is the first time I'm starting to take them to heart.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I guess I'm just asking for some input or encouragement... I haven't talked about this with anyone so maybe I just needed to get it out.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

daniel. I feel for you. There are no easy answers when living with a JW and it is worse for those who were JWs at one time. There is always the hope that you might go back.

You belong in the second group of "invisible victims" that I talked about at the ICSA conference in July (The Invisible Victims of Cults - Video )

Please remember that JWs don't feel the way we do about anything. Their idea of love is very dysfunctional and most often they haven't got a clue. That doesn't mean she doesn't love you though. It just means she has no idea what unconditional love is. They have an all-or-nothing kind of mentality and that goes for feelings too. In the real world we will always have ups and downs about how we feel about someone. JWs don't get that.

It is sad that she is being ostrasized for having a spouse who is no longer a JW. That is what they do. Of course she feels stronger when she goes to meetings. That is her crutch - just like any addict has a crutch. But like all addictions it affects how she feels about herself. In fact I think this is worse than substance abuse because a bottle of booze isn't going to remind you constantly that you aren't doing enough, aren't good enough.

Continie to be patient and loving and find ways to make the most of the time you do spend together. With a toddler in the house you boith probably need time alone together. Make dates, get a babysitter and go out, see a movie, go for a walk in the park, go out for dinner. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Just go do things together.

And hang in there.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Does your wife's employer provide an EAP? (Employee Assistance Program). You might need to ask the HR person because if your wife is anything like me, she may have totally ignored the existence of the EAP. Anyway, most EAPs are completely free and confidential. Mine allows any family member to talk to a therapist for 5 visits / per person / per issue / per year.

Hope things can work out between you guys.

om

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

Would your wife be open to marriage counseling? My husband and I went through an extrememly difficult time the past few years, but going to counseling has improved our relationship immensely. We had to try a few different counselors before we found a psychologist that fit. We have 2 children under the age of 4, and will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this month!

My husband stopped being a JW just over a year after I became inactive, but that took a huge toll on our marriage. I reached my breaking point and was seriously considering divorce, but he agreed to try counseling because he didn't want to lose his family.

You sound like a very hardworking husband. Your wife needs to let go of her idea of what she thought life would be like, with you both being JWs, and focus on making your family work as it is.

I wish you all the best, and hope your wife will be open to counseling to improve the difficult parts of your relationship. There have been times when I have fallen out of love with my husband, but I rode it out and now our relationship is stronger.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I think we'd be open to counseling, although I'm not sure what good will come out of it.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

It's nice to be able to just get all your issues out on the line and see if they can be worked on. I would recommend talking to the counselor separately and then together so they can get a good picture of what the issues at stake are. My husband and I doubted any good could come out of seeing a counselor too, but after we found the right one, we can see positive changes in our relationship.

Continue to be a great husband and father, spend time doing fun things together as a family, and get counseling.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I've been married 32 years. Sometimes it's great, occasionally it's awful. It's not how you feel now, it's how you feel over a long period. See if you can get her into counseling. Point out that the elders are not really qualified to be marriage counselors. Ask her if she wants things to be better between you and ask her if she is williing to work on this with you....good luck.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"It's frustrating, because I've heard these types of things for the entire ten years we've been married and no matter how much positive reinforcement I give her, it never seems to make a difference."

Most folk really value positive reinforcement from the people closest to them. Perhaps she has negative history with her parents, school, siblings. Maybe she's getting judged at the KH for her failure to drag you along to the meetings. I don't know. But I do know that it's a lot cheaper and easier to tell your wife that she's smart and beautiful, rather than having to buy her expensive gifts to prove it. Not that I really have much experience, but if you want to get "lucky", be skillful with your words

"We have a beautiful 27-month old daughter now."

Would I be correct to assume that your beautiful daughter requires time, energy, and extra expense? Even wonderful things like a child can add a lot of stress to a marriage and to each of you personally. Your situation as a stay-at-home dad isn't an easy job. Your wife is carrying around her own stresses with a demanding boss and a nagging husband that wants her to come straight home after work, rather than go out with the guys for a brewski

It sounds like your family is still very important to you. You're all young, healthy, and living in something better than a cardboard box, right? Losing car keys or letting some flies in the house are rather small issues compared to the problems you may have to face in the future. Hang in there and try to pull together as a team. Good luck!

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Your post has touched me tonight Daniel. I feel so sad for you and ironically for your wife too. You want a normal relationship, she wants what she thinks or believes is the WTBS ideal. That's her problem. I don't think she feels she can love you completely unless you fit that ideal. It is so tragic isn't it? As you say you have a beautiful daughter together and so many years of history. I wish I has an answer for you but I haven't. I want to shake your wife and tell her to thank her lucky stars. Please try with counselling or however to communicate both your feelings so that things work out despite the toxic influence of the WTBS if you possibly can. They have already destroyed too many of our families.

Loz x

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think we'd be open to counseling, although I'm not sure what good will come out of it.

What good will come from it? What good is coming from NOT trying it? Let's face it, your story doesn't sound good. Wifey & I -- 30+ years, three times counseling. Worth every cent. Gotta find the right counselor though. If it doesn't feel right. Move on, try another. You will know.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit