Nice 1975 quote from F Franz, in 1975

by Splash 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Splash
    Splash

*** w75 5/1 p. 285 A Contrast—Missionaries with an Urgent, Lifesaving Work ***

Another speaker, F. W. Franz, the Society’s vice-president, forcefully impressed on the audience the urgency of the Christian preaching work.

He stressed that, according to dependable Bible chronology, 6,000 years of human history will end this coming September according to the lunar calendar. This coincides with a time when “the human species [is] about to starve itself to death,” as well as its being faced with poisoning by pollution and destruction by nuclear weapons.

Franz added: “There’s no basis for believing that mankind, faced with what it now faces, can exist for the seventh thousand-year period” under the present system of things. Does this mean that we know exactly when God will destroy this old system and establish a new one? Franz showed that we do not, for we do not know how short was the time interval between Adam’s creation and the creation of Eve, at which point God’s rest day of seven thousand years began. (Heb. 4:3, 4)

But, he pointed out, “we should not think that this year of 1975 is of no significance to us,” for the Bible proves that Jehovah is “the greatest chronologist” and “we have the anchor date, 1914, marking the end of the Gentile Times.” So, he continued, “we are filled with anticipation for the near future, for our generation.”—Matt. 24:34.

Nice little get-out clause in there too. Smart!

Splash.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It must have taken a looooong time for Jehovah to figure out that his bestest ever creation didn't have a method of self replication and had to make it a willy and something to put it in.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

If you take a sampling of any current hall, you will see many on the body of elderls (and quite a few others) who converted in that late 60's to early 70's period.

An entire "generation" who bought into the religious bullshit propogated by Fred Franz, then were too brainwashed to leave once his false prophecy was exposed.

Your right though, ole Harold Camping made the mistake of pinpointing an exact date, Freddy bought himself some time with that little out clause.

• besty
    besty

for our generation

define generation

• leavingwt
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The positional responsibility of the head editorial writers of the WTS such as Franz once was is to create decisive proliferating bullshit

to enhance the distribution of the publishing corporation's literature.

Sure it was somewhat cunning and devious fear mongering but it worked for a time and most likely was the WTS's peak era of

membership growth and financial prosperity.

• Ding
    Ding

Freddy had also said that Adam and Eve were created the same year so his "out" wasn't really an out.

Of course, JWs quickly forgot all about the 1975 hype, so this gap explanation really didn't matter.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Of course, JWs quickly forgot all about the 1975 hype, so this gap explanation really didn't matter.

More like the borg tried to sweep it under the rug. I was 16 in 1975. I remember it well. It pissed me off when they started trying to blame the rank and file for the 1975 gaffe. My father quit his job to pioneer back then.

http://scottleblog.wordpress.com

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Quendi
    Quendi

Like cobaltcupcake, I also remember the frenzy leading up to 1975 and the disillusionment that set in when Armageddon did not happen. It wasn't until 1980 that the Society took some responsibility for building up false expectations, but even that admission was tempered by its refusal to reexamine its entire eschatological theology. There was still the cornerstone belief that 1914 marked the beginning of the last days and the generation that was alive then would see the world end.

LostGeneration is right to say we were too brainwashed to realize we had been lied to and deceived. We should have left in droves, but we held on thinking that surely the End would arrive before another decade would pass. I suppose many of us were still dazed by the tremendous build up to 1975 which leavingwt has nicely demonstrated with his photographic collage. It's not like there weren't voices raised to warn us, but we refused to listen then. It is likewise now. Many more voices are raised to alert Witnesses about the dangers this cult represents. How many rank-and-file Witnesses are listening? I can only hope that they someday will.

Quendi

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

saved

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit