Best news in a long time - manned mission to Mars planned

by tootired2care 74 Replies latest social current

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I was reading this news article and it brings out that NASA is planning a manned mission to Mars. NASA plans to work with other countries on this mission, and not just go it alone. It turns out that the Obama administration has set a goal for NASA to have this done by the 2030s. The cold war and all the exciting breakthroughts it brought almost seems like a distant memory of the past. Even though this goal is a long ways off, I think this is exciting news because it's a move in the right direction IMHO; but I was curious, what are your opinions on space exploration?

• Do you think it's worth the money?
    • If a colony was setup on another planet, would this change your perspective about the bible/religion and god?
    • Who wants to go work at NASA now besides me?

P.S. Props to team Obama.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    Who wants to go work at NASA now besides me?

Me!!!!!!!!

OMG that is so exciting

• sizemik
    sizemik

It makes me envious. A few hundred years from now the early days of space exploration could be seen the way we see Columbus, while folks zip round the galaxy doing the big OE . . . or should that be OSE? Lucky buggers.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@sizmik

You know they could also look back at us and think; what a cool thing to be alive when those breakthroughs, and bold decisions were made to embark on such an epic adventure. I guess the grass is always greener...

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I guess the grass is always greener...

True enough . . . but it's one hell of a big meadow . . . and the cliche doesn't cure my envy. Thinking about your statement . . . I don't think there is a time in history that I would prefer over this one . . . except the future.

• cedars
    cedars

I agree that it's awesome news. Yes, it's costly - but it's also worth it. The future survival of the human race may depend on our knowledge and experience of colonizing other planets. This, in my view, is a vital leap forward that will leave a lasting legacy for the human race.

Cedars

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I would love to believe this, but it has been planned since 1989 when proposed by Bush Sr.

It was reproposed by Bush Jr. in 2004

This time it might get off the ground as it seems NASA is turning to the world rather than getting stonewalled by their own Congress.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

A huge waste of money. tens of millions of children are malnourished and living in abject poverty but the US et al wastes 100's of millions of dollars on fantastical boondoggles that don't help a soul. Shameful.

• cofty
    cofty

yadda yadda its not an either-or decision.

Its is a fantastic ambition.

• oldlightnewshite
    oldlightnewshite

The Mars Curiosity landing will happen on sunday night. It has a 2 year mission to explore and analyze data. Betcha they find concrete evidence of fossilized bacteria or something. The Jovos can take that one and stick it in their pipe and smoke it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit