Question for Atheists

by RWC 72 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JanH
    JanH

Perry,

I assume you mean "deist", essentially a belief in a distant creator-god who is not taking active part in human history, and do not communicate with humans or expect worship in any form.

Your assertions that atheist ethics implies a form of social-darwinism is untrue.

First, there are many different ethical systems that can be called "atheist". It includes not only secular humanism and marxism, but also a number of religious systems like confucianism and buddhism.

Second, you are wrong that humanistic ethics is relativist. I suspect you have not read much about humanism.

It is simply false that the fact of human evolution somehow means that "survival" or "fitness" is necessarily defining what is morally good. It may well be true that ruthlessness and violence helps survival in some cases. However, it does not follow that this means it is morally right to be ruthless or violent. Already Immanuel Kant demonstrated that you cannot derive an "ought" from an "is." Science and evolution is about facts of nature. Humans are perfectly free to socially construct our values, and this is where all ethical systems, theist or non-theist, comes from.

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

to perry

It is true that some militant atheists are guilty as you charge.These ones do a disservice to the humanist movement.I shout ,there is nothing unscientific about respecting human rights!
    Kant as a product of his time and culture forgot this.Animalistic ethics were in his mind acceptable if the ends merited it.His work disgusted millions and rightly so.Others it inspired to atrocity.

Recognition of the process that resulted in our present state does infer approval of them. We all know the ugly past of american slavery,abuse of the environment,explotation thru unrestrained capitalism.Yet most Americans see something beautiful has resulted.They wish to never repeat these horrors.Likewise The fact that humans had a violent past does not compel intellegent people to return to barbarism or the thinking that inspires it.
    Scientists and humanists are able to see more than claws and teeth. They can see and wish to endorse the best of human nature.This is not any compromise. It is intelligent and broad minded. As was effectively argued earlier in this thread morality does not necessitate deism.To believe this is to insult humanity.

• Perry
    Perry

JanH,

I haven't seen too many posts from you since I started posting here a few weeks ago. I am assuming you are new to discussion boards like this and are not used to an open forum where thoughts and assertions are rigorously debated and verified. I will excuse the condesension in some of your statements as merely a newbie mistake and not representative of the totality of your ideas and assumptions.

I assume you mean "deist", essentially a belief in a distant creator-god who is not taking active part in human history, and do not communicate with humans or expect worship in any form.
    The exact nature of the Diety is irrelevant to this discussion other than he have altruistic and unselfish characteristics. Diesm is fundamental to many traditions just as Atheism is. I am referring to diests as people who generally use modeling as a guide as opposed to atheists who generally use science and situational ethics.

Your assertions that atheist ethics implies a form of social-darwinism is untrue.

My post clearly made distinctions between various schools of thought based on atheism. Furthermore, I am not trying to draw conclusions about one atheist faction from the views of another atheist camp either. There are both good and evil atheists as with any group characterization.

But, the fact remains that social darwinism is built on atheism. Right or wrong, popular or unpopular is not the point. Millions of people have been ruthlessly slaughtered defending ideas based on atheism....that is a fact of history, like it or not. So, some atheistic ideas do rely on social darwinism as a platform to express their values. Other atheistic ideas simply do not. To imply otherwise is credulity at best and sleazy salesmanship at worst. I believe we are in agreement.

To take my statements which are diversified and qualified and reformulate them into a generalized statement of absolutes so that the straw man can more easily be destroyed, is simply going to bog the discussion down. I sincerely hope your future replies will directly deal with my actual statements.

Second, you are wrong that humanistic ethics is relativist. I suspect you have not read much about humanism.
    As I stated in my preface, I'll ignore the condesension and deal with your actual statement. However, again I ask not to denegrate and bastardize your point of view with baseless condesension.

Let's take this step by step and I'll only use references to Humanists authors.....agreed? Ok.

Let's start with the Humanist Manifestoes I and II shall we? For those of you unfamiliar, a simple web search will clarify.

In the preface of both, Kurtz defines Humanism "as a philosophical, religious, and moral point of view". Agreed? OK then.

Now, just sit back and relax as this logic develops ok? Good.

The moderate Humanist wants to mitigate the more offensive ideas of of his more radical brothers. So, what does he do with statements like, Morris b. Storer who edited "Humanist Ethics"? He said, "Is personal advantage the measure of right or wrong .... humanists differ. .... Do you measure morality by results or by principles?"

Storer has accurately described the reason why so much infighting exists between Humnanists and why they have not been able to achieve consensus. The reason is the disagreement over the foundation of morality. Results or principles?

If for example the foundation is results, then morality must be adjusted time and time again to harmonize with results as they randomly occur in the natural world. In other words, as criteria fluctuates in each situation the Humanist must adjust his sense of right and wrong to accomodate the new criteria as that will likely effect the results.

This is a serious problem for the Humanist because this approach makes it impossible to qualify the truthfulness or falsity of such subjective judgements. It also gives a grossly unfair advantage to those in a position to effect social results through their greater influence on social policy. It implies that desired results by the less fortunate that conflict with those of the more powerful are less true simply because they have less influence, which of course flies in the face of other Humanist goals.

Seeing this dangerous moral terrain as leading to a battlefield where fundamental moral principles will ultimately clash, other Humanists have tried to sidestep this problem by suggesting the principle foundation.

The principle foundation assumes that a code exists, somehow outside of man but within the whole evolutionary scheme of things.

Hocutt accurately maintains that an absolute moral code cannot exist without God. He maintains that since there is no God, an absolute code cannot exist. He continues the reasoning thusly:

"Furthermore, if there were a morality written up in the sky somewhere, but no God to enforce it, I see no good reason why anybody should pay it any heed". - Max Hocutt,"Toward an Ethic of Mutual Accomodation,"in Humanist Ethics, 1980

These are not isolated views among Humanists either.

Joseph Fletcher says that "right and wrongs are determined by objective facts or circumstances, that is, by the situations in which moral agents have to decide for the most beneficial course open to choice". - Fletcher, "Humanist Ethics: the Groundwork" p.255

Schneider calls morality "an experimental art", going on to say that it is the "basic art of living well together. Moral right and wrong must therefore be conceived in terms of moral standards generated in a particular society". - Herbert W. Schnieder, Humanist Ethics in "Humanist Ethics". pp. 99-100

Kurtz says "moral principles should be treated as hypotheses" - Kurtz, ed.,"The Humanist Alternative, p.55

Your assertion that I am wrong in characterizing the majority of Humanists as ethical relativists because I have not read Humanist literature seems rather hollow, arrogant, and uninformed. I am not trying to start a fight here, I'm just wondering how you can make such statements and expect that they will go unchallenged and not be falsified?

Already Immanuel Kant demonstrated that you cannot derive an "ought" from an "is." Science and evolution is about facts of nature. Humans are perfectly free to socially construct our values, and this is where all ethical systems, theist or non-theist, comes from.
    I'm glad you brought this up. Since Kant accurately says that you "Kant" :-) get an "ought" from an "is", and since science and evolution is clearly an "is"; where does the Humanist go to obtain his "oughts" if it is not from his own subjective perceptions?

Since you have already shown a propensity for attacking the source rather than a consideration of the substance, I don't feel that I am out of line in asking you to try and limit the ad Homs and straw men and characterize your responses more substantively.

• JanH
    JanH

Perry,

I haven't seen too many posts from you since I started posting here a few weeks ago. I am assuming you are new to discussion boards like this and are not used to an open forum where thoughts and assertions are rigorously debated and verified.

LOL. Now, for hints on where you can get a clue: look at the left hand side of my posting and your posting. Mine should say that I have posted 1685 times on this forum (possibly one or two more by the time you read this). Yours says (currently) "Posts: 173". It is true I have been somewhat less active over the last month or so. But not seeing me since you arrived, eh, more or less yesterday, just tells us that you are pretty new to this forum.

You have already mastered the art of verbosity. I can see that. You have also learned to throw around terms like "straw man" and "ad Homs" (sic). One day you may even learn to understand them.

I suspect strongly you have merely copied quotations from humanist authors from some fundie pamphlet, and not read them in their context. You seem to actually believe that any of the statements you have quoted imply ethical relativism. News for you: they don't. Perhaps it would be helpful if you understand at least a few of the terms you throw around before using them. Begin by defining "ethical relativism".

It is totally meaningless to derive ethics based on atheism, just as it is meaningless to derive ethics from a lack of belief in unicorns. Atheism is the absense of one particular set of beliefs.

Btw, what the heck is a "diety"? Nutrition?

- Jan
    --
    - "How do you write women so well?" - "I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability." (Jack Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets")

• Perry
    Perry

peacefulpete,

I found most of your post to be sound and reasonable. I want to thank you for your honest admission in how some previous atheistic ideologies have resulted in atrocities against humankind. Only by such recoginition of past failures, will Atheists hope to avoid future colossal blunders.

I am also pleased that Atheistic ideas have morphed into a kinder and gentler worldview in recent decades. We all need to keep an eye on our leaders, regardless of their worldview.

No doubt the starry eyed new atheist convert who touts the mantra: we don't have anything to worry about because we don't believe anything, is just as offensive and neieve to you as the new diest convert who says: we don't have anything to worry about because our leaders follow the bible.

I see both all over this board and shake my head in disgust knowing that those who refuse to consider the past are doomed to repeat it.

Again thanks for your reply. And by the way, I would never insult humanity by saying that some morality is not innate. If it's true that man was created in God's image, then certain moral traits would likely be hard-wired.

• Perry
    Perry

Let's look at my very last statement again:

Since you have already shown a propensity for attacking the source rather than a consideration of the substance, I don't feel that I am out of line in asking you to try and limit the ad Homs and straw men and characterize your responses more substantively.
    Your response:

You have already mastered the art of verbosity. I can see that. You have also learned to throw around terms like "straw man" and "ad Homs" (sic). One day you may even learn to understand them.
    Yawning....oohhhuuueee

Just because I accurately predicted that you would ignore the substance and attack the source, doesn't make me a prophet, although it is possible that I could be one. Likewise, just because you choose condesension as a argument tool doesn't make you an ignoramous, although that possibility exists. You have a brain. I will simply wait until you choose to use it. I won't hold my breath though.

I suspect strongly you have merely copied quotations from humanist authors from some fundie pamphlet, and not read them in their context. You seem to actually believe that any of the statements you have quoted imply ethical relativism. News for you: they don't. Perhaps it would be helpful if you understand at least a few of the terms you throw around before using them. Begin by defining "ethical relativism".
    Yawning more.....

I am simply schocked that anyone would sink to the level of questioning the validity of something based on where they were found, as if were it to be true that it came from a fundie pamphlet, which it was not, it would somehow improve the intellectual character of such childish attacks. The sheer magnitude of the illogicalness of such charges is breathtaking.

I'll repaste my last query to you and if you'd like to respond intelligently, I'm sure a mild interest will be stirred. You future rants will simply be ingored as they really only make you appear foolish and illequipped to deal with logic.

I'm glad you brought this up. Since Kant accurately says that you "Kant" :-) get an "ought" from an "is", and since science and evolution is clearly an "is"; where does the Humanist go to obtain his "oughts" if it is not from his own subjective perceptions?
  • JanH
    JanH

Perry,

Refusing to define your terms, I see. So predictable.

- Jan
    --

• Perry
    Perry

Perry <---------------------- Glad he didn't hold his breath

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I may not believe in God but I do suspect computers are from the Devil. Hey guys can't we all just get along?

Sorry about my typeos, in my last post I meant to say that understanding the processes that resulted in our unique place on this planet, does NOT infer an approval of them. But I supose I'm the only one cares what I wrote.

I wonder if the arguement you two are engaged in is'nt essentially about interpretation. Somewhat like the debates over the Trinity I used to have.

Do'nt you think that the present uncertainties about humanist ethics (both of the authors and readers) is to be expected considering the relative newness of the field.There exists a terrific pressure for authors to provide some revolutionary new insight into human behavior,in paperback form.The humanist manifesto 2000 was to me a disappointment.It seems in my humble opinion to have tried to cover too many bases. Maybe amnisty international is on the right track by limiting public concern to serious infractions of human rights that an international concensess has established. This may be the true role for humanists.To be a stabilizing force in a world torn by ideologies. Religion may be simply a term for the attempt to formulate a more detailed pattern for life.In this sense religion is essential for society.The criteria used by such a religion would no doubt include subjectivity and perceptual norms.Thats OK.The blue team feels herbs and yoga,are the path to happiness, while the red team prefers sex and red meat.WHO CARES.As long as they agree that public welfare is the concern of everyone.After God is gone from the collective mind, the hunger to be led will continue.If the leaders can agree on only the most basic human rights,we will be just fine.I believe this is the position of the majority of those who call themselves humanists.If not it should be.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

"religion is for weak minds"Gov. Jessie Ventura
    Perry

What he trying to say in his boorish fashion is that it is much easier to formulate a code to live by when it is forced upon you by religion.Being so, most will choose this simpler road dispite intellectual misgivings.We all know this to be the case. Yet the realities of the 21rst century are irrepressibly eroding the traditional religious foundation that men have leaned upon for millenia.Will it be difficult to create a substitute?Yes.And I believe that it is not the job for humanists.As I suggested earlier I feel their role is limited to a stabilizing effect.To keep before the eyes of the world,logic,scientific advances and internationally recognized human rights. I got to believe you agree with me.So what are you saying?That humanists are bumbling fools who have no insight to add to the subject?Are you suggesting we all bow our knees and pray to a new god you are aquainted with?I'm not mad just confused, What do you espouse in your philosophy?What means of personal regulation do you wish to endorse? I do wish to know in all sincerity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit