David Schafer's Mistake

by Hold Me-Thrill Me 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Thanks Cappytan for posting the thread "Jehovah's people as a whole can never be corrupted". It's a sad example of how low in simple reading skills the present GB and their helpers are. David Schafer referred to Philippians 4:7 on JW Broadcasting. Note the total misapplication of the word "understanding" in the his talk:

David Schafer said:

"If you tap the 6 on your iPad at Phil. 4:6, you’ll notice that the King James renders this verse “Be careful for nothing…” which sounds like an exhortation to worry needlessly, exactly the opposite of what Phil. 4:6,7 is encouraging us to do.

"Namely, “Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything, by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.”

"Now, I invite you to use the bookmark feature of your JW Library as we’ll return here.
    But now, regarding the comments in our text today that have to do with stumbling, how is it, what are some sorts of understanding that are surpassed by the peace of God.

"Sometimes, when a person is mistreated, he thinks, and rightly so, that this sort of thing ought not to happen in Jehovah’s organization.
    How might the peace of God surpass that understanding?
    One way is that Jehovah reminds us through his word that sometimes things happen in Jehovah’s organization that ought not to happen."

Further on he says:

"So, how is it that this brother that disappointed me can maintain a good standing?
    That is a form of understanding.
    How does the peace of God surpass that understanding?
    Well, one way is that it brings back to our minds the Christian Greek Scriptures are full of counsel directed to us to help us put up with those who have given us a legitimate cause for complaint." (end quote)

The brother is missing the whole point of the scripture. The "peace of God that surpasses all understanding" does not refer to an "understanding" that someone may have but rather that the peace of God exceeds our understanding, it is beyond our understanding, it is unfathomable. Barnes commentary says, "The expression is one that denotes that the peace imparted is of the highest possible kind." It is a peace that surpasses our ability to understand it that is how powerful Paul is saying it is; not that a man's understanding of something is surpassed by God's peace.

When I first watched the video I walked away not knowing what to make of it. It brought such sadness that here was another example of poor scriptural application by the present GB and their helpers. They are not careful. Brother Herd said he spends quite a bit of his time reading what is given him to read I presume by the writing dept. It shows! Who is at the helm? Not Jehovah. And certainly not the GB. I believe its Helpers Inc. who are in charge.

Frank- an active Jehovah's Witness

(Again my thanks to Cappytan)

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The GB's minions are in charge, (evil laugh) and the GB we see giving talks are actually bots.

Oh yeah, I like it.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Good catch, I noticed the same thing...

But he said it with such a sense of intellectual superiority that you can't help but be impressed.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

It's clear that the real meaning of most of the Bible SURPASSES THE UNDERSTANDING of the WT leaders.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"So, how is it that this brother that disappointed me can maintain a good standing?

Another Watchtower Lesson in How to..

.......................SHUT THE F*CK UP!..

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/d/d6/Stfu-o.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140201031504

• Bobcat
  • millie210
    millie210

Loved your post Hold me-Thrill me,

I learn more here intellectually speaking then I ever did from the platform.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Marked, ty HMTM
  • Esse quam videri
  • Splash
    Splash

The International Standard Version surpasses all WT understanding.

It renders Phil 4:7 much more clearly "Then God's peace, which goes far beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your hearts and minds in union with the Messiah Jesus."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit