do you own a 4wd vehicle?

by Glander 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

For years and years I always had a 4x4 of one sort or another. Jeeps, Toyotas, FX4, etc. I mostly had them because I really love surf fishing. However all the enviromenalists have made it practically impossible to drive on the beach at Cape Hatteras any longer. I finally have moved to all 2WD vehicles for the first time in years and it really does not bother me at all. Better fuel mileage is a nice bonus as well. The only reason I would reccomend a 4x4 is if you are beach driving, in the snow a lot, or really will use it off road. Otherwise it is an expensive option.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I have a Nissan Titan 4X4. I use 4WD mainly when launching and trailering my boat in crappy boat launches. We have pretty mild winters here in Seattle, but sometimes it snows & freezes and the 4WD comes in handy then. I also have a Ford Escape AWD. It goes great in the snow.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    If so, and it's the type that requires you to switch to 4wd, how often do you use that capability? Why? I know more than a few people with 4wd capability but never use it. A couple of these folks don't even know what it's for.

I had an Isuzu Trooper until recently, it had excellent 4wd, with high and low settings. I've pulled stuck jeeps out of swamps with it.

...but that was purely a recreational vehicle.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

No - in the UK we have roads to drive on.

• Glander
    Glander

Great pic, BTS. Now we're talkin' 4 by goddam 4's !

Years ago a friend had a little International Scout. No seatbelts, just a very low geared little billy goat that could climb a tree. Scared the unowhat out of me when on a fishing trip he would steer off the dirt road up the side of a steep mountainside and drive around the trees and over the bushes. All I could see was sky. Then he would turn around (I don't know why it didn't tip over) and we would go back down. All the time he was laughing like a maniac.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

No - in the UK we have roads to drive on

You do, with majority of them (not the M's) wide just enough for one car to pass with the little bump offs every so often to allow you to tuck in and let the oncoming vehicle pass.

Now on topic - I have both an RWD and AWD cars and the AWD handles way better in slippery conditions. Kinda sucks that you can't do good donuts in empty snowy parking lots, but that's what the RWD is for.

• strymeckirules
    strymeckirules

does turbo AWD count? of course it does.

i have 2 mitsubishi 4g63 turbo awd cars.

one is a 11 second car, the other is a 13 second car. impossible without awd. fwd would spin the front tires and rwd would spin the back.

in winter, the 13 second car is a dominator. only got stuck once ice racing and i high centered the thing.

AWD makes high speed corners a breeze.

i used to have a fwd colt turbo, and the thing would spin tires like mad. no traction. so i moved to an awd platform.

galant awd

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd. I do have to manually put it in 4. I use it mostly when it's rainy, muddy or snowy out. I need new tires and some brake work, so I'm not taking it off road for now. But she's seen her share of mud coatings. I do love to sling mud...

Chris-

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

98 Jeep Wrangler with Super Swampers.

I use it as much as possible.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I have a Dodge Nitro 4wd now. I have also owned a Ford Expedition and Landrover Discovery all 4wd. Have them because of living in the snow capitol in my state. It helps get through that really deep snow and going up and down big twisty hills in a rural area. Still have to use your head, I don't think it helps with ice at all and I still drive like an old lady in the slow lane on the highway during storms. I love having 4wd but you can't let it make you feel overly confident. NMKA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit