"Amish - Out of Order"...Have you watched this show???

by freshstart 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I LOVE that show. Those kids are like 'my people.' It is so validating to see those stories told to the world.

My JW dad came to stay with me for 3 weeks this last month. We often watched TV in the evenings when he was here. But one eveing I put on "Amish - Out of Order" and he never would come over to the couch to watch. I was REALLY looking forward to watching it with him! But he just stayed over on the computer playing 'angry birds,' lol! At one point My dad told my son, "I HATE that Amish guy's (Mose) accent. I just can't stand it. I can't even watch that show because of that accent."

Later, he told me he had watched that show before, but that the show didn't tell the whole story. He said the show made it sound like Mose has it all figured out, 'but really, that guy doesn't have any more truth than anyone else does.'

I wanted to say so much...like "That's kinda the point of the whole show, Dad..." but I just zipped my lip.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I have lived right in the heart of the Amish community now for almost 12 years. In fact, I am surrounded by

farms where I am -- and outlets! I also work in the judicial system, and I can say for a fact that child abuse

in their community is a severe problem. I've had several in my courtroom over the years. Almost all of them plead guilty.

What is shocking to me is the amount of support the Amish community give the abuser. Usually, there's about

30 people from the church on one side and the poor victim(s) usually only have a counselor with them.

They ask for mercy...but to me the victim will be punished more since they will have to live with it forever.

The last one I had was just this June. Father abusing his daughters for years. Finally one spoke up to

protect the younger sister. What struck me as really sad is the mother, instead of sticking with her daughters,

pled for mercy for her husband.

The JW religion is not far off the Amish as far as their practices and the amount of hypocrisy that goes on.

The standards are much too high and that leads to people scrambling trying to "cover" their image.

• Country Girl
  • reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I like to watch it because it reminds me of what we went through, only they have it worse. At least I had a high school education and knew how to drive when I got out. Don't get me wrong, leaving is tough because you loose your support system, but I think they have it worse.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Jehovahs Witnesses; Amish with make-up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit