Did you pick-up many people for the meetings??

by karter 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• karter
    karter

I was a regular taxi for alot of people.

We (Wife & family) pick up one sister and her 2 children for many years ...he husband had walked out on her and We did'nt mind.

However when we were asked by the COBE wife to pick up and elderly and infermed bro a 3 day assembly (We had 3 young children) i said no.

We pased her and her daughter traviling alone to the assembly.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Umm, how did the sister and her daughter come to be travelling "alone"? Did you stop picking her up, or she chose to get to the assembly by her own means? And did it have anything to do with being asked to take the elderly gent?

I've picked up various ppl over the years. Most of them didn't offer any money towards petrol, car costs etc, and some older ladies took the service for granted.

Woe betide me if I was sick or couldn't attend for some other reason, and they had to find someone else to take them (and they expected me to phone around on their behalf).

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

My mom is a taxi service. I used to pick people up occasionally.

• smiddy
    smiddy

My wife and I did it regulary in many congregations while we were publishers , it was usually the ones who were either dysfunctional ,weak , or had other problems.

I was never aware of any elders or their wives who put themselves out for such ones

smiddy

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Do you know about the lawsuit in Southern Louisiana? See my post under the 3 day assembly. New lawsuit. JWs who took elderly woman to assembly are being sued after she fell at the assembly and sustained injurieis that lead to her death. The relatives of the old woman are suing JW couple (they helped her pick seat, go up stairs, etc), Jehovah's Witnesses of New York, etc. The District Convention site did not have enough elderly seating, and this is why they went to the stands.

If I was an active JW, there is no way in hades I would transport ANYONE in my own car for a meeting event OR take ANYONE to a district convention.

• JWOP
    JWOP

Broken Promises,

I think it was meant that the COBE's wife and daughter were traveling alone.... meaning that THEY could have transported the elderly person, but didn't.

• nugget
    nugget

yes often and the lack of gratitude was outstanding.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Early on, I was a regular taxi driver for the congregation - or felt like I was, anyway!

Furthermore, my car of that time was a two door ( not a sporty job, though; purely the economy model ). Not that anybody complained - they were only too pleased to have a lift. That's why I have difficulty understanding the fuss there appears to be these days amongst the JWs about "Christendom's cars."

Bill.

• Nambo
    Nambo

So there was this old lady who came in the truth and got baptised aged around 90 I think. Some here might remember her Baptism at Hayes Bridge.

She used to allways get a lift from a nearby family except when they where away then I would travel in the opposite direction from the KH to go get her as I was the next nearest Dub.

So, I had been given instructions to pick her up for say a week, then the nearby family would be back and pick her up on the Thursday.

However, on leaving myself that next Thursday, I had the nagging feeling of uncertainty that said family would be picking her up, so I changed direction and drove to her house just to be sure.

There she was indeed, standing in the dark on her street corner, eyes closed, hands together pointing at the sky, praying to Jehovah to send somebody to pick her up.

She was completley unsuprised that I had turned up, she was so confident that Jehovah would answer her prayer.

• Woody22

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit