When did the religion become a cult?

by Hermano 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

Jeffro, that still does not answer the OP.

really interested in ppl's thoughts on this --- WHEN?

xo

tal

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Get your hardliner to read this to you

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Russell warned that people who stopped reading his publications fell away from The Truth, so it had to be before that.

It depends a lot on what definition of 'cult' you are using. There is a WT that states that they are a cult, but cherrypicks a definition that most religionists would have to agree describes their own expectations of their members.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I never was a JW but have read a lot of their history on this and other sites. There are several definitions of 'cult' and it seems to be a fine line between 'wacky religions' and 'cults'.

My gut reaction is that a 'cult' imposes an inordinate degree of control over its adherents, with consequences and sanctions for those who fail to comply. JWs certainly fits that.

My first reaction to the OP's question was that in its early days, Russell's 'break away' or 'spin off' from the Millerites et al was just a 'wacky religion' started at a time and place which seemed to foster so many 'wacky religions' and that it was under Rutherford that the 'control' issue became major (possibly to keep 'his' JWs separate from the original mainstream IBSA).

Now, I'm not so sure. The more I read of Russell and the machinations of his early collaborators the more I come to the view that this was a 'cult' from the beginning.

BTW, I find it interesting how time and history tends to lend credence and respectability to wacky religions. Joseph Smith's new religion was obviously nutty (at best), Russell's pyramidology survived and flourished, and to be honest Saul/Paul's new religion based on visions is pretty wacky on any objective analysis. But they have survived, and as time and distance cloud their origins they gain (in some quarters at least) a degree of respectability. With the advent of the internet and the huge availability of information to all who wish to find it, I don't think it would be so easy to start a new wacky religion/cult now. (Edited to add: unless of course, the cult/religion proscribed independent research - ring any bells?)

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Interesting, Black Sheep.

I won't be getting her to read this to me though! Haven't seen her since February and have no intention of reintroducing myself to her. Individuals, usually just elders now, keep finding a reason to check up on me.

I have no intention of offering them the slightest encouragement. I am out of there, but I got brainwashed once, even went back after my first discovery of this site, and I'm not going to run that risk again.

• Aware!
    Aware!

Black Sheep, where is that article from? It does depend on the definition of cult you want to use. Mostly it's used derogatorily.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Awake! 1947, Jan 8

It does depend on the definition of cult you want to use.

Don't use the word. It becomes whatever your audience wants it to be.

Just keep asking questions until the audience realises they are a member of a high control group of religious/political/greenie/pyramid marketers/whatever, nutters, or runs away chanting "Stamp down Satan" or whatever their thought blocking mantra is.

• Aware!
    Aware!

Thanks, Black Sheep. It's sad some dubs automatically close their minds when you show them old literature. "Brother, that's old light". What they fail to see is that a religion rotten to its core cannot bear good fruits later on. If only they saw the bizarre claims in the Studies in the Scriptures series. Has anyone had success showing "old light"?

Matthew 7:18 "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit."

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Has anyone had success showing "old light"?

Success is when they show you 'old light'. It doesn't work the other way around.

Ask questions. Tell them nothing they don't already know or isn't in something they trust, or quote from.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Jeffro, that still does not answer the OP.

The leading question of the OP is based on a false premise. The term 'cult' is ambiguous. By some definitions, Russell's group was a cult to start with. By the definitions used by religious sociologists, neither the original nor modern groups are necessarily 'cults' per se.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit