I'm going to the British Museum, Is their anything their to rubbish 607/Jerusalem?

by BroMac 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The British: incorrigible thieves and international vandals. It should be an instructive visit.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Dont forget to visit the Elgin Marbles. The Babylonian displays are right next to the rosetta stone and are worth spending some time with.

Thieves?! Perhaps if all those countries hadn't been doing such a stand-up job preserving these things for posterity you might have a point.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I don't know if the really interesting stuff that rubbishes 607/Jerusalem will be stored away in drawers.

But a couple to look out for if you can:

BM 32234 - observed eclipses and eclipse possibilities listed over the period 609 BC-447 BC - includes ones during the reign of Nebuchadnezzar.

BM 38462 (top right image) - observed and predicted eclipses during Nebuchadnezzar's reign.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I went round, all the notes by the artifacts referred to the destruction of Jerusalem in 587 BCE, does that count?

BTW We were being shown around by a Watchtower guide so we just ignored that notation. Yes, they do still do the tours - guided by Pioneers clocking up time . What a way to do it!

There is a decent coffee bar at the back of the ground floor, and the toilets are downstairs near the front . That is what you really need to know.....

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are there still secondhand bookshops nearby?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Charing Cross Road is best for second hand bookshops SBF, not far to walk

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks I have only been to London once and visited the British museum and bookshops. I would love to go again.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BroMac:

I was in the British Museum many years ago and it is really impressive. However, I don't remember enough to answer your question but I remember a spooky exhibit with large idols and statues (Babylon?), the Rosetta Stone, the Egyptian exhibit and an exhibit on clocks. I love any and all museums but I have to say theirs is great. Wear a good pair of walking shoes!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

For those further north the National Museum of Scotland is pretty good too if you are interested in this Celtic fringe. It has a good Egyptology section too.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The interesting thing about the inscription on the Rosetta Stone itself is that it concerns the annual celebration of the king's birthday as a holiday. This gives important background to the story about the celebration of the royal birthday in 2 Maccabees 6:7 (from the same Seleucid era as the Rosetta Stone) and the story of the celebration of Pharaoh's birthday in Genesis 40:20 (of the same Egyptian setting as the Rosetta Stone).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit