Anyone been sent a virus by EMail recently?

by Abaddon 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I got a virus (Worm_Badtrans.B) sent to me from < [email protected]> (which looks like a spoofed Email addy); I was wondering whether anyone else had got it sent to them, or whether someone was selecting me specially (awwww, how sweet), as it was sent to my [email protected] address which I use almost exclusively here.

Ah, the joys of automatically updated virus scanners...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Hey Abaddon...I got one in my email too and my antivirus program caught it. Hmm, sounds like someone might be sending us their christian love...hahaha

Skipper

• LDH
    LDH

Yes, yesterday I was also sent a virus. I opened the attachment without checking first!

(Yeah right) [8>]

I've reported it as it came through bearing the email addy of a family member who did not send me any email yesterday. Wait a minute lemme go check the headers.

HMMM VERY INTERESTING. I shall be back to report later. I've got some homework to do.

Lisa

• alamb
    alamb

I got one a week ago.
    My anti-virus caught it though.

I think something's up.

It was sent anonymously with no subject.

• flower
    flower

I got a few virus emails a week or so ago but I dont think they were related to this site. I got them at work with the subject line 'Hi, when I saw this I thought of you'. or something like that.

I got the same virus at work a few months ago.

flower

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

I got a virus too, mine was a password stealer...and within 10 minutes not only were all of my passwords (7 screen names) changed, but 400 pieces of email were sent from my computer.

I mentioned this in chat and someone suggested that I might have gotten the Badtrans worm...so I downloaded and ran "W32Badtrans.B@mm Fix Tool v1.0.0.0 Symantec Corporation 2001" and it said: W32.Badtrans.B@mm has not been found on your computer

I was talking in instant message to the same poster who told me about the worm and my firewall went crazy reporting port scan attacks on my computer.
    Outbound to TCP/IP protocol on port 483
    Outbound to UDP/IP protocol on port 372
    Outbound to TCP/IP protocol on port 482
    Outbound to UDP/IP protocol on port 374
    Outbound to TCP/IP protocol on port 484
    Outbound to UDP/IP protocol on port 372
    Outbound to UDP/IP protocol on port 376
    Outbound to TCP/IP protocol on port 486
    Outbound to UDP/IP protocol on port 375
    Outbound to UDP/IP protocol on port 373
    Outbound to UDP/IP protocol on port 371
    Outbound to TCP/IP protocol on port 481

Last night, while I was JW.com, 2 items were extracted from pic1.zip (03:26:52) Someone stole some pics I had downloaded from another jw.com poster!

I still haven't found the worm. Any suggestions? (of course this just tipped off my attacker) *sigh*

wick
    (of the violated class)

• nelly136
    nelly136

. http://housecall.antivirus.com/ wick
    can do an online scan here
    nelly

• LDH
    LDH

Virus W32.Magistr.39921@mm found and cleaned.

and Symantec's response:

* http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.magistr.39921@mm.html

Anyone reading this thread that doesn't clean and scan your attachements you better learn now before it's too late.

Lisa

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I was sent the badtrans a few months ago. My anti-virus stopped it and contained it before it could do any damage. This particular worm is sent out automatically, so chances are that whoever sent it to you was also stung.

If you don't have one, invest in a good anti-virus program that monitors your email and keep it updated! I am using Norton 2001.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• borgfree
    borgfree

I have gotten several viruses over the past few weeks, but as far as I know my anti-virus has caught them all. The latest was last week.

Borgfree

"True patriotism doesn't exclude an understanding of the patriotism of others" Queen Elizabeth II

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit