Beards

by ThomasK9 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The level of control is plain to see when on the buletin board of all congregations there is posted a 4-page pamphlet illustrating how one should dress to visit Bethels... Imagine having to dress in one's best suit to take of tour of warehouses, workshops and printeries...More lately there was an illustration on how not to dress when checking in at a Hotel at the district convention! In the Canadian Bethel all workers regardless of where they work have to go change in their meeting clothes to go have lunch, then back into their work clothes...then back into their meeting clothes for dinner...Only in a cult!

I have been out for 2 years and last November I grew a HUGE mustache for MOvember...my brother who is an elder came to visit me was bothered by it...and when I was in I would have never dared grow facial hair in fear of stumbling my brothers...JWs need to lighten up a bit...it's only a mustache....

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

When I went to my sister's baptism it was the first meeting I'd been to in well over a year. A sister at the assembly hall said "We miss ya. And when you come back, we can shave off that beard and trim your hair." Yeah because god would hate me because of my long hair and beard. Give me a freaking break.

There was a contrast though. There were a few JW's who came up to me and told me they liked the hair and beard. Maybe they think the rule is stupid too.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Thomask9: Welcome to the board. When I was 20 I grew a beard and caught HELL from the elders in my hall. They eventually disfellowshipped me for refusing to shave it off. Of course they didn't put that down as a reason to the society, because it's not a disfellowshiping offence.

Lord knows what they said to justify it, but whenever 3 men get together in a J.C. They can do whatever they want and no questions asked as long as they all agree. I know this to be true because I'm a former elder.

Of course that was many years ago that that happened, but be careful and step lightly around those brainwashed J-dubs. Look at J.W.facts.com and read Ray Franz books crises of conscience and in search of Christian freedom.

Dont get involved any further in this CULT.

Kojack

• designs
    designs

Don't look natural, that's the message.

Gone from the JWs 12 years, beard for 12 years

• GeneM
    GeneM

Any religion you can't leave is a cult. Any religion that removes your individuality is a cult. If you feel the need to be a part of a cult, join the Mormons, at least they are a bit more mainstream and I bet you can keep the facial hair.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Thomas please note that this is a forum populated by ex JW'S. Mostly they are ex JW'S because they rejected the belief construct of the WT. Some because they slipped up and broke a moral code. The JW's don't care what you've done they will boot you out because of a beard or because you murdered someone. Why? Because for an average Witness they have a fragile grasp of reality. The go to the Kingdom Hall to be surrounded by people that can and will validate them as long as you become them, meaning look like them and sound like them. Which is why pedophiles flock to the JW world. It's so easy to be them.

Since witnesses suspend critical thinking they can only go by appearances. If you show up with a beard in most congregations you are not them. If you show up neatly shaved wearing a somber suite,white shirt, plain tie and dress shoes you will be greeted with openness and respect. If you need to be validated my advice is to visit businesse's that will validate your parking ticket. The feeling is the same and it will be a lot more fun.

However if you really need religion in your life.....find a church that doesn't have a problem with facial hair, encourages women to become ministers, doesn't discourage gays and offers suitable social events.

P.S. Those 'attitudes' you had a problem with back in the 1983......they are worse today. A PEW survey listed the JW'S as the least educated of any religion in the USA. They have gotten so bad that upwards of 67% of born-in's stop affiliating.....which is the worst retention record of any USA religion. Unless you enjoy playing on a losing team.....you can do better.

• mindseye
    mindseye

The beard thing is just one example of how the Watchtower goes 'beyond the law' and is extra-biblical rather than biblical. They're like the Pharisees (or like the Pharisees are depicted in the New Testament, anyway). The Pharisees would harrass Yeshua and his followers over trivial matters, being excessively legalistic rather than embracing the spirit of the law.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I just never got why it was okay for brothers in some countries to have a beard and not okay in other countries. Doesn't make any sense.

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

ThomasK9:

If you just have to be a member of a group join beards.org

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CTjHcUyEDS0

You won't get any nonsense from these guys.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

NO. There simply is no way to make sense of it. In fact.....read 1 Cor 4:6. Do not go beyond what is written. There is NOTHING in the bible that prevents ANYONE from wearing a beard. Yet the Jehovah's Witnesses prohibit it. Didn't Jesus condemn the pharisees for this very same practice?

Ya know what is interesting? This article:

Only Jehovah's Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil." Watchtower 1989 Sep 1 p.19

Isn't it a bit strange that your eternal future is dependent upon your willingness to follow a command (no beards) that is in direct violation of scripture?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit