Remember the Story about a Month Ago RE the Woman Who Murdered Her Two Children?

by jamiebowers 18 Replies latest jw friends

• l p
    l p

The thing about this case is that her defense will be hard pressed getting an expert psychiatrist to lay the blame on the trauma from the cult.

This mother would have had post partum psychosis which would have lead her to do this as she would have lost touch with reality.

A psychiatrist would likely put it all down to a post partum psychosis with a depressive illness.

What is known in mental health is that post partum depression can be preceeded by antenatal depression if left untreated. Post partum depression if left untreated ( treated ineffectively) can lead to post partum psychosis.

However, what is often unstated is that women who suffer antenatal depression and/or post partum depression usually have 'stressors', 'stress' or 'trauma' etc. In other words there are precipitating factors.

And in this poor ladies case is she has suffered 2 traumas 1. her brothers suicide 2. being completely shunned by her mother and family. Without getting the appropriate professional help to treat the reactive depression from these events, has crescendoed her health into a state where she would have had no concept of reality.

It is commonly published that women with antenatal and postnatal depression not only need effective medical treatment, but they need support and care from family including extended family. This poor lady didn't have any.

When she does get well and come out of the psychosis if not already ( these things take time on treatment) she will be devasted about her actions and traumatised and tormented by what she has done.

I feel terribly sad for this poor mum (not to discount those 2 children and their father).

Lp

• finally awake
    finally awake

I saw the headline but I didn't read the story - I had no idea she was raised as a dub. HOw awful for the husband.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I have. Jw cousin who got into drugs in his teens.

Congegation shunned him, and so did his father.

This cousins wife died of overdose, and he has barely felt life.

The point is...... When things are bad, they cut off all support systems and the supposed sinner gets worse instead of better

• Sojae
    Sojae

very sad story..my mother shuns my brothers and it makes me mad..i havent left the jw world completely so she still talks to me.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bumping this excellent thread again...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The O.P contained this comment about the dead babies grandparents:

"but they are foolish and evil parents for allowing the WT to guide their thinking to such an extent that they would inflict mental abuse on their own children. Shameful."

Of course I cannot judge, I never knew them but from what I read they seem to have spent money and time flying over to London to "help". In my view they sound like "victims of victims" as Ray Franz once said. When you look at the high pressure articles now put before the congregations, telling them they must shun d/f'd adult children - to win them back, I can understand why they do it.

Perhaps they were the kind of people who "pushed it down the throat" of their kids, with tragic results in both cases. However, this sounds more misguided than evil.

They all deserve our sympathy IMHO

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree Blues, such a sad thing for all concerned. I agree too that we can be too hasty on here to try to lay all the blame on the WT connection, the family may well have a history of depression etc .

Having said that, I firmly believe the WT/JW connection did nothing toward helping the terrible daeths not to happen.

Another, different, upbringing, and support from a loving christian church may have prevented three deaths, perhaps.

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, people need to hear this

• clarity
    clarity

I wonder ...

if this were a United church or Anglican church site would we be reading

about so many suicides and murders and abuse ...amongst the members?

>

'Cause honestly I have to say, when I was just a "worldly"(tm) person ... the

reoccurent tragedies that seem to plague the cults, were so rare that I never

heard of them!

>

Within the first 6 weeks of going to a KH ... what do you know ....suicide

of the young man who was first to ever leave a tract with me!

>

Omg ..I wish I could go back in time ...to when I had never heard

of JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit