Read what happened in court June 19th & 20th. A summary copied from court documents

by AndersonsInfo 44 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• smiddy
    smiddy

Any little win against the WTB&TS is to be applauded.The war is won, not by one initial major battle, but by winning all the little skirmishes leading up to the final conflict.

And any appeal they make will just keep it in the publics mind how they treat victims of child sexual abuse.

So I think they are between a rock and a hard place. If they appeal, they keep it in the publics eye.

If they dont appeal, they set a precedent for future lawsuits

I think (hope ) you read it right Barbara

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

With the new developments from different sources that the organizations assets are frozen till after the appeals are heard, this is a major thorn in the side of the religion, it could take 2 years or more.They dont want their assets tied up for this long.

smiddy

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Guys, be ready for any JW weirdness you might encounter. Some will surely take this as a disaster (I'm not too sure if it really is all that disastrous myself, it could just be an inconvenience) and go into Armageddon mode.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Looks like an Appeal Bond thing ... ?

*continues reading*

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, I was just reading this off the court website last night. . . so this is what I thought it was! Good. The judge obviously knows he's dealing with some slippery characters.

• AnnOMaly
  • AnnOMaly
  • AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

LOL. Didn't see Randy's thread about the same thing where he put up some of the documents. Ah well.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I read the first part as follows:

WTBTS was asking for no seizing or restricting of their assets while the appeal process goes through. They wanted NO enforcement of the judgement against them because it may be eliminated or reduced or modified during appeal. They further asked that plaintiff "Jane Doe" make no objections to such a request as long as she is protected from them trying to redistribute their assets (perhaps overseas) in order to say "We don't have your money."

However, the plaintiff would only agree to the "stay of execution" on the order to pay IF WTBTS would freeze all their assets, including any transfer of properties.

The plaintiff is saying that there really is no protection of her judgement without locking down their assets. I have to agree because their liquid assets are easily moved and the only thing left is the property.

Skipping all the back-and-forth legal talk, it sounds like the judge agrees to stay the execution of the payment, but also agrees to the plaintiff's request that properties not change hands. Still, the handwritten part sounds like it will leave WTBTS enough leeway to sell said properties if they get court-permission. All they have to do is show intent to be able to pay judgement and show intent not to move all of their NY assets out of NY. If a sale went through, they probably would have to keep the liquid assets within the NY corporation.

I think WTBTS would be crazy to come up with further liquid assets right now via the sale of properties. An appeal could modify the award to a greater number, with further proof that they have the liquid assets from the sale of properties. I would think they are not only working on an appeal, but working on offering a settlement that would avoid appeal so that they can pay a smaller amount (say $10million) and just get on with putting this to rest. Otherwise, their necks are way out there on a chopping block.

• Ding
    Ding

As I read it, what happened is that the WTS asked the judge to prevent the plaintiff from enforcing the judgment until the post-trial motions are resolved and to prevent her from putting judgment liens on the real estate.

The judge said fine, as long as the WTS doesn't dispose of any real estate during that time.

If they want to sell real estate, they can always apply to the court for exceptions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit