Momentum Builds

by stuckinamovement 18 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
  • mind blown
    mind blown

ISAM according to this PDF file that BizzyBee posted, in California the elders and WTS are suppose to report any child abuse crimes, but we know they do no such thing.

http://file.lacounty.gov/lasd/cms1_145191.pdf

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Mind blown,

One of the reasons I resigned as an elder is because of this issue. I will never forget talking to the legal Dept about an abuse case and getting the instruction to neither report it, or encourage or discourage the mother of the victim to report it. The lawyer back there in Brooklyn even told me "SIAM always use the phone, never send written correspondence about the case to headquarters." I asked "why because you can't subpeona a telephone conversation?" the answer from Brother lawyer was .."....Um, (chuckle...) something like that"

These people are crooks. Their only interest is in protecting their reputation as God's sole channel on earth and they will do anything to keep that illusion in place.

SIAM

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Did they ever prosecute that sob or is he still on the loose and a faithful dub?

• Cacky
    Cacky

I tried to copy the letter you posted but can't. Why don't you send it to MSNBC since they just reported on the other lawsuit case? They should have somewhere on their site where you can submit it to.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Text-only version
    Law Enforcement Today

Member Login

Remember Me Forgot your password? | New User Signup ?
    Home
    Members
    Groups
    Photos
    Videos
    Blog
    Forum
    Events
    Jobs
    News

Does the Watchtower Society Harbor Fugitive Criminals?
    "We received your letter of December 17 in which you inquire about handling a situation involving a brother who has been guilty of serious violations of the law in the past. You explained that you have received information indicating that this brother "committed several murders and crimes before his baptism." You ask if " Florida law obligates some action on our part. Florida law enforcement authorities have no knowledge of this matter." As elders, you have no obligation to reveal information of this type to the authorities. Any information that you have obtained while fulfilling your duties as elders is strictly confidential. What he does about paying his debt to Society is largely up to him and his conscience. Since he is apparently a fugitive from the law, he obviously would not qualify for any extra privileges or service in the congregation. ... As we believe you understand, it is imperative that the elders maintain strict confidentiality about his past. If the elders inadvertently reveal his past wrongdoing, undoubtedly it will result in major repercussions to him and his wife. So, handling this case calls for good judgment and discernment. We trust you brothers can handle things appropriately. Write to us again if you need further direction." (Quotes from an Official Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Letter sent to Elders on December 24, 1992)

The Orginal Letter Written by The Watchtower Society has been viewed by the Federal Government. The suspect in question was not wanted by Florida LE, he was wanted by the FBI.

Written by wizardofnuttin on Wed, Aug 26th 2009, 09:48
    Comments

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York are the World Headquarters for Jehovah's Witnesses.

on Wed, Aug 26th 2009, 09:45
    You need to be logged in to post your comment. Please login or register
    Add New Blog Post

Author

View Photos
    View Videos
    Send a message
    About Us | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise | Internet Marketing

Copyright © Law Enforcement Today 2009. All Rights Reserved

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

So this guy was apparently hiding from the FBI. And the brothers and sisters were not informed that there might be a murderer in their congregation. What madness.

Bangalore

• Sulla
    Sulla

Quendi has it right, I think. Couple observations:

First, I understand the law generally recognizes that conversations between a penitent and his priest or minister are legally protected. Indeed, confessions of criminal activity revealed in Catholic confession can never be disclosed at all, under canon law. Within that context, absolution for some grave sin like murder simply cannot include the requirement to report yourself to the authorities, since that breaks the seal of the confessional.

The situation becomes different when operating in a non-sacramental, but still religious environment. It is interesting to note that the confessed killer of Etan Patz "confessed" to a charismatic prayer group many years ago. They never bothered to notify the authorities because they mistakenly believed they could not do so, based on the context of the confession. Of course, when you have publicly confessed a crime, even if it is to a group involved in prayer, you have lost the penitent-priest protection under law.

So, one question is whether the context of a JW Judicial Committee is like the Catholic sacrament of Reconcilliation and therefore protected, or whether it is more like a public confession in a religious context and not protected. Obviously, it seems more like the latter, especially since the Judicial Committee is charged with finding facts of actual guilt or innocence.

That suggests the instructions given to Elders may be at odds with laws requiring people with knowledge of crimes to report them. Quendi is correct to point out that these committees are hardly confidential: the Org is notified of the particulars of each case, other groups of Elders may be involved, etc. So, the Judicial Committee arrangement itself may create a significant legal risk.

• haboob48
    haboob48

stuckinamovement.........

would you please send me a link on this letter? Please Please Please send me a link that I can copy this as it is of importance to me. thanks so much!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit