"What will I do if I leave Jehovah's Witnesses ?"

by Balaamsass2 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• flipper
    flipper

BALAAMSASS- Congrats buddy on what I think is one of the BEST threads I've read in months ! Awesome subject and a very important one. There are so many great comments from folks on this thread- I don't know where to start !

BALAAMSASS- My wife and I really enjoyed lunch with you and your wife as well ! Great food, great friends. Look forward to Tahoe ! Your comment that , " The truth will set you free " the REAL truth TTATT...... Enjoy life. " Is SO true. I have experienced so much goodness in my life since exiting the Witnesses it's not even funny. I can give more time to my business in order to earn more $$$ if I want to ( no meetings or service clogging up my schedule ) , my wife and I with help from my son have planted an absolutely awesome organic garden full of vegetables, fruit including blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries - and check it out - we HAVE THE TIME to take care of it and manage it ! Amazing. I've also enjoyed playing music and writing songs with the guitar - never thought that would happen- but we have the TIME now. No mind control cult telling us what we can or cannot do.

IGNORANCEISBLISS- I truly DO empathize with what you are saying coming from a difficult place in your life . I have experienced every single thing you mentioned that you have experienced . I lost my first marriage after 19 years. I had to have visitation with my teenage kids back in the late 1990's to 2003 . I was ill spoken of by my fanatic JW ex-wife to all of our friends - I was called a " villain ", " apostate " , " Satan " , a " demon " a " bad influence " , and probably a few words I cannot use here on Simon's board or he'd kick me off. LOL.

The thing is is this IGNORANCE - yes you ARE going through horrific bad times RIGHT NOW - but it's NOT the rest of your life and I think that's what Balaamsass is trying to help people to realize here. I went through hell too being cut off from ALL my JW family and was DFed for 4 years. But in time my son who turned 18 then in his early 20's left the JW cult and we are best of friends now. Any JW friends that abandoned me I now consider just " chump change " compared to the REAL authentic ex-JW and non-JW friends I have gained over the years. I've been out of the Witnesses 11 years now for good- and I promise it WILL get better. It's like an old psychologist Frederick Perls once said, " To suffer one's death , and to be reborn is not easy ". It hurts to die to our JW past because there IS loss - but in time with the pain gradually subsiding a person CAN rebuild their life and it CAN become better than the life we had before. Hang in there friend. If you ever want to chat on the phone- I offer my friendship to you.

JAMES THOMAS- your comment, " You cannot imagine the weight that leaves you when you let go of all the massive mental collection of what " life is all about " , and silently just be with life instead " . Exactly, I totally agree. To be present in the " here and now " and enjoy the experience of living AS it HAPPENS. I think the old song " Stop and Smell the Roses " is applicable to this point. It felt like a ton of bricks had been lifted off of my shoulders when I finally decided in 2003 to walk away from the WT organization. Since then I feel like I'm walking on air. Of course there are problems along the way- but I don't freak out over them like I used to as a JW.

DAGNEY- So great to hear you are coming to Tahoe ! Fantastic ! It will be lots of fun with a lot of the gang there. I like the point you made that, " it gets better and better as you get stronger and stronger in your own self worth ". That is SO true. I was raised with an elder dad , very strict who never felt that I lived up to his " spiritual " expectations good enough for his approval. Thus I grew up with a lower self esteem than I should have had. Thank gawd I had a mom who built up my self worth or I'd have been a basket case getting out of the JW cult. Like yourself I enjoy keeping in touch with the ex-JW community as they truly are very caring, understanding people for the most part.

SIMON- You also made an extremely valid, good point in your statement, " At some point you may make a choice whether to obsess about the lost years and become bitter and determined to seek revenge ...... or you'll decide that was just a phase in your life and you grew and moved on. " So extremely true. Especially if we moved on in our 40's or 50's we have to ask ourselves the all important question- " Is the glass half full or half empty " ? Of course it's a cliché but it's still a good idea to ask ourselves that question. Because it very well MAY determine how we go on living the rest of our life . Will we move on and pursue interests we have in life or dwell totally in the past and let ourselves rot in that vegetative state ? These are all questions I asked myself when I first exited the JW cult and although it hasn't always been easy - the good in my life has come to far outweigh any negative the WT Society tried to steal my soul with

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

We all experience different things when leaving this religion. One thing we can all share in common is to be strategic about it. So that we don't lose everything in our eagerness to shed the burden of being a JW. We had it for (fill in the blank) years, we can take the time to get all our ducks in a row.

Line up your ducks, people!!

• Alive!
    Alive!

Great thread - and very relevant to my circumstances right now.

We have no JW family - but we do have non witness family who live overseas, and with whom we have always kept a happy relationship.

Thankfully, over the years they refused to let our dominant religious beliefs, such as not attending important family birthdays, Christmas etc etc get in the way of us being family to each other.

I'm getting through, day by day, processing the loss I feel about my 'faith' and most importantly 'trust'.

That includes trust in myself.

I feel ashamed and this causes me some bad down time.

My integrity felt increasingly compromised by the looney tunes coming out of WBTS... It made me feel sick.

I do have a couple of old friends from my former life who have stayed as real friends, but not living locally.

And I was absolutely delighted to get a surprise email from an ex business colleague this week - she and her husband are moving back into the area - and are looking forward to reconnecting with 'special' friends.

Last year, she and I had to attend a funeral together - having not seen each other for several years.

She spoke so warmly of our connection through the years - we hope to build a more involved social life together now she is going to be around.

It's the navigation from one life to another on a daily basis that causes grief and hurt.

Also out of the blue a dearly beloved 'sister' texted me - saying her heart is tied up with mine..... We had a major fall out when she decided that my factual criticism of the GB was more then she could handle.

But she wants to keep our relationship - even if it will be changed.

One of my non witness in laws has asked me to do a small city vacation with her....

We all have opportunity to create a new day, every day.

But we have all endured a huge shift and kindness to ourselves is paramount.

Some days will be dark.

But not every day.

Getting rid of the syrupy toxic stuff takes time it seems.

• flipper
    flipper
    JW DAUGHTER- I see what you are saying- however some of us had to exit the JW organization in a rather quick fashion where there WAS no time to strategize on how we would exit the JW cult. Many times exiting the JW cult doesn't happen in a calm, organized fashion . Some of us couldn't get our ducks in a row when we decided to exit. My ducks flew off and stopped quacking entirely ! If you get my drift. LOL. Had to find new ducks to play with. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • kewpie
    kewpie

Flipper,

I agree. I too had to escape rather abruptly. It was as a teenager. No help, no family to go to. I sincerely encourage people who have time to come up with an exit strategy. In other cases, you have to do what you have to do. I've spent a lifetime trying to heal from the trauma of escaping and not having any family. Regardless, there seems to be a lot more help and advice available today, thankfully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit