Anyone use to have horrible nightmares as a child & afriad of the dark due to all the Watchtower Society talk of Demons and Satan??

by mind blown 33 Replies latest jw friends

• mind blown
    mind blown

As a little child I used to have horrible, horrible nightmares do to all the Satan/ Demon and big A talk. I was also horrified of the dark for the same reason

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We lived in the last of the last days and our books had pics of children getting killed by a god that could read your thoughts and stories abounded about demon experiences of people that people that knew people that we knew, knew.(Did I get that right???).

I used to be able to get from the light switch to my bed before the light died.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Yep me too, the WTS heaps fear onto impressionable minds, and none more so than the little ones unfortunate enough to be exposed to this shite.

I still have to the fight the fear even now.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

This is a topic that comes up quite regularly. It's a relief to know that so many ex dubs have had this experience.

I used to get nightmares about demon attacks up until about 10 years ago when I was 40 years old !

The moment my eyes were opened to the WTS hypocrisy and I mentally moved on I no longer had these irrational fears.

I must have had these mares from a very young age because I can vividly recall the drawing of the earthquake and a cat plummeting down the rent chasm in the 'Paradise Lost.,.." book. And I love cats.

And the big A was always coming at night ! What about the other side of the world ? Thunder and lightning was always the start of Armageddon to my little mind and I knew I was never good enough and that death would be very painful.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I knew I was never good enough

Me too. Finding out Jehovah was just a goat herder myth was a relief. How anyone can actually love this psycho prick I cannot understand.

• blondie
    blondie

This frightened me and my siblings most....the bike and the dog and the children descending into the c revasse...we saw ourselves clearly in this picture. Satan frighten us? Our father was an abusive pedophile, a human devil under our own roof. No imaginary entity.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Yep, I had nightmares and saw frightening patterns in the dark that would look like demon faces when I was little. Stories about demon attacks were rampant among JWs back then and I overheard quite a few. The stories were from people I trusted too - not the kind of people who would make things up, and were deeply affected by what they witnessed (or thought they witnessed). The fear - I remember the constant fear and paranoia of those times.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Ann, I also saw patterns in the dark and thought they were demon faces up until very much in my adult years. I used to sense shadows passing me and thought it was demons. As a teen, if I fell asleep with the tv on I used to worry that I let demons into the house.

Whenever there was a bad storm, I always thought it was about to be the end. I would be one praying kid!

This sure is a doozy of a religion.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I was nightmare city. Would often break down in hysterics while I was awake. I was a child of the 70s, and terrifed of '75.

Mom was always on demon hunts in the house, and Dad gave us kids the extra bonus of watching WWII holocaust documentaries, and remind us kids "we may have to go thru that" Terrified is an understatment.

I've been an insomniac most of my life, I think now I was just afraid to go to sleep. Sleep was scary. Since waking up, my insomnia is going away. I can actually go to sleep at a normal time. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't think so.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A truthful account of how the fear mongering WTS. had effected many young and old, but ever more so for emotional sensitive children.

The WTS marketing agenda was more of a concern for this religious publishing house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit