Rush's 2112

by TheClarinetist 17 Replies latest jw friends

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

My fiancee and I were discussing what Rush's 2112 is. For those of you that don't know, 2112 is a piece, about 20 minutes long, divided into 7 movements. We can't quite agree on what to call it... "Song" doesn't live up to the full effect, as it has more in common with an Oratorio than a pop song. Any thoughts?

Also, music thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEgZNqa8jE

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Thank you for that. Great piece to listen while writing.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I used to own this and have given it as a gift to younger listeners. I love the whole LP.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

"And the meek shall inherit the earth..."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Back then a lot of LP's were concept LP's and very artistic. We called it progressive rock. Younger people call it art rock. We didn't call it art rock.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

@Botchtower Society: Your welcome. It's a lot of fun, and tells a pretty great story.

@Flying High Now: Can you suggest any more concept LPs/albums? I don't know very many... Just 2112 and Opheliac, and I love them both.

• iceguy
    iceguy

Hello Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...its time to induct RUSH!!!

• darthfader
    darthfader

One of my favorite albums. A really great story about individuality against the "machine".

For any further objective discussions about Rush, I must recuse myself for I am a "Rabid Fan"...

• cantleave
    cantleave

One of my all time favourite bands.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

It's a multi-movement work based on a theme. It's almost operatic in structure.

In slang, "It's so cool!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit