The real truth is that you know you've recovered when you stop caring about JW's

by gubberningbody 36 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

It's perhaps sad, but perhaps a bit of wisdom to come to realize how insignificant JWs really are.

You finally get to the point where you don't even care what happens to the Borg one way or another.

This said after almost four years.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Then why you still here?

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Curiosity. You don't have to care if you watch a commercial. The investment involved in perusing a web site is trivial.

• j dubb
    j dubb

Then why you still here?

How else to keep up with the celestial chariot??

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I hope I will always care. People are being hurt, and I've been hurt, and I want to be here for those that are freshly hurt. I don't have it nearly as bad as many---but so many have lost everyone they love and they will always care and need validation. I have struggled a great deal trying to build new friendships into real and substantial friendships because I lost all those 'friends for life'. Gone. It takes time to build those close relationships and a lot of work. 20 Years of work have gone up in dust for me. Whatever I can do to prevent others from making the same mistake will never be wasted like my last 20 years have. NC

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

@ NC

GB: " You finally get to the point where you don't even care what happens to the Borg one way or another.

This said after almost four years."

I get what you're saying and it's not that I care what happens to the religion. For me, it's the people. I've found that just when you think you're truly out, something happens to make you care again. Like getting an email from your long-lost younger brother who hasn't spoken to you since your mom's funeral. Or receiving a self-righteous "come back to Jehovah" letter from your new "stepmom" (who happens to be the same age as you).

Something always seems to happen to make you think about the things you were begrudgingly okay with never thinking about again.

• flipper
    flipper

GUBBERNING BODY- You may not realize this but even in your thread title you are using black & white reasoning that cults like Jehovah's Witnesses pushed on their members. It's either this - or that. The REAL truth is recovering from being in a mind control cult is a different journey for different people depending on what their personal circumstances are. I've been out of the Witnesses for 8 years, twice as long as you - yet I still " care " what happens to my JW relatives who are still inside because I hate seeing them get controlled and manipulated. Does this mean I haven't " recovered " as you say ? Not at all.

I live my life in happiness and freedom , yet I kind of keep up to date on what the WT society is doing so I will be able to be of assistance to my JW relatives if they start doubting or want to exit, especially my two adult daughters. I don't obsess over it , I have lots of enjoyable interests and hobbies going on in my life - however I will keep a finger on the pulse of the WT organization in order to be there for any JW relatives that want to exit. And yes, I consider myself fully recovered. So just thought I'd share my perspective

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I debate whether or not I should simply close the JWN tab on my browser and forget about JW's for good. My roommate has many times asked me why I bother wasting time on the subject of JW's. As VM44 once noted on another thread, the JW religion is like a bad joke. It's not funny. It's not creative. It's not educational. The literature wastes paragraph after paragraph full of evasive language that says nothing. So why do I bother paying attention to it? I don't know. Perhaps I still feel some attachment to my JW acquaintance even though she has decided to no longer speak to me. She's effectively given me the vertical palm as illustrated in the pictures in the literature. NewChapter pointed out the fact that people are being hurt by the JW culture. Although I only scratched the surface by attempting to befriend a JW, I got a small taste of that hurt as I learned more about how her religion teaches her to view and behave toward non-JW's. The JW veneer of friendliness and politeness toward non-JW's is thin. Once I saw what was underneath the facade, I felt cheated. I guess I want to warn others not to make the same mistakes I did when interacting with cultic religious people.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What is "recovered" ?

• talesin
    talesin

I like what OTWO said "what is recovered"

Coming here, can mean a variety of things ... it may mean you need support, or on the other end of the spectrum ... just keeping in touch with a part of 'who you were'.

Whatever the reason - enjoy, and learn.

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit