Is the new brochure cover a ripoff of a Lord of the Rings book cover?

by fugue 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

What is this brochure, please? I mean the one on the original post.

I don't recognise it and don't see it on jw.org

• jemba
    jemba

Wow such great artists at WTBTS! They have to copy from other artists.

• sizemik
    sizemik

"Fair use" I'd call it . . . they both belong in the "fiction" section.

• nugget
    nugget

Lazy art, lazy religion, lazy research, lazy writing euals 7 million witnesses asleep at the wheel.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Chariklo:

What is this brochure, please? I mean the one on the original post.

From what I can tell, this is actually a DVD cover of a new release from the 2012 convention series of a 'drama' first presented in 2010.

• sizemik
    sizemik

LOL nugget . . . beautifully put.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"I don't recognise it and don't see it on jw.org"

I won't be put there till all conventions are held.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I wonder if some of these rip-offs were an intentional cry from within?

OR

Just the $ociety hoping all the R&F have been good little robots and not viewed any outside stimulus and therefore would not notice?

OR

Maybe it’s both?

• Quendi
    Quendi

I don't think it's a coincidence at all that the WTS brochure cover mimics the LOTR one. Quite a few JWs are Tolkien fans and have both read his books and seen the Peter Jackson produced movies. I don't doubt for one minute that a Bethelite Tolkien fan borrowed this cover and then suitably modified it for WTS use without the hierarchy ever realizing that somebody was having a good laugh and acting in defiance as well.

Centuries ago, Roman Catholic clergy became enamored with what were then styled "Damascene garments". These were robes, caftans, habits, cassocks, surplises, and vestments that were richly embroidered, often times having gold and silver thread as well as precious and semi-precious stones incorporated in the exotic fabrics. Since nobody in Europe could produce anything like this, orders were placed with clothiers in the Near East, all of whom were Muslims. These tailors would gladly weave the garments and collect rich commissions for doing so, but they also took a well-disguised swipe at the Christian clergymen who wore them. Woven into the regalia were verses from the Koran and/or Islamic slogans. The most popular one that was woven was "There is no God but God and Mohammed is His Prophet."

This was done in Arabic calligraphy which nobody in Europe could read, understand, or translate. Thus Muslim tailors got the last laugh as they both grabbed Christian gold and insulted their clergymen simultaneously. I think this case of cover similitude is like that and someone was having a good laugh at the Governing Body's expense, knowing they were too obtuse to ever find out. Nugget summed up the WTS modus operandi succinctly and accurately. But heaven forbid that a Witness purchase and read LOTR or see the films based on the book. That's dabbling in "the deep things of Satan" and opens the reader up to demon influence if not outright possession.

Whenever the subject of Tolkien would come up in a field service car group and the talk turned nasty and condemnatory, I would silence the naysayers by remarking that Tolkien was one of the translators of the Catholic Jerusalem Bible, a translation that prominently features the Divine Name, rendering it as Yahweh. The silence which followed that revelation was deafening and the subject was quickly changed for one much less prickly. Well, refusal to read one of the greatest writers in the English language is their loss. But seeing how they have condemned or found fault with practically every other great writer, Tolkien is in very good company.

Quendi

• factfinder
    factfinder

I agree with Jeffro.

It is NOT a brochure but rather the illustration on the new DVD case cover.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit