Knock Knock...

by KistByQpid 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

I always hated it, especially in rainy or snowy weather, yuck!
    One experience my mom had when she first started out was to call on a door where the man started screaming at her. She got all flustered and said "very sorry to bother you". He slammed the door shut and when she turned to leave she realized her coat was shut in the door so she had to ring the doorbell again to get free. I don't think she went out hardly at all after that, though she's suckered back in at this moment.

Oh, I always hated it when certain sisters would just drop off their kids at the hall to make them go out in service while they ran errands or cleaned the house. We were free babysitters I think. I never went much, but I certainly would never make my kids go without me. I think they'd have hated me if I did that, LOL.

• ianao
    ianao

:: YoYoMamma: It's fine to post your personal feelings about the preaching work, but to speak in behalf of 99.99% of Witnesses is just silly. I'm sure some do not enjoy it, they would rather be doing other things, but the majority do enjoy it. Some might not like door-to-door work, but they enjoy informal witnessing. A popular facet of the preaching work today is phone witnessing. Some hate it others love it as they can be sitting in the Hall sipping on a cup of coffee (or tea for our British friends) while they talk to people.

YoYo, It's fine to post your personal feelings about the marketing work, but to speak in behalf of the majority of witnesses is just silly. I'm sure most do not enjoy it. Most probably dislike door-to-door work, but they do enjoy telemarketing. It's apparently popular with witnesses today, as they can sit on their butts sipping on coffee/tea while they hoodwink people instead of putting any real effort into it. Just make a phone call, tell them who they are, and listen to the phone hang up, and mark the time.

• ARIE
    ARIE

I remeber one Saturday AM knocking on a door with an older elder. A ver attractive woman answered the door, she had a robe on, and you could see her left breast. I fould myself staring and staring. Lucky for me the elder was one of those long winded types.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

yoyomama,

I guess you're right. I thought it was obvious that the figure 99.99% was an exaggeration/exagerration/exaggerration (no matter how you spell that word, it just doesnt look right) to say that most do not enjoy it at all. However, as ianao pointed out, you also spoke for the majority of Witnesses.

For you to say that the majority actually enjoy it seems pretty far-fetched. I used to be a regular pioneer, and when I and my pioneer buddies were getting up on stage at assemblies and conventions talking about how much joy we had in the field service, behind closed doors we talked about how much we hated it.

I think if the society said tomorrow that door-to-door was no longer mandatory, 99.0% would stop doing it. A large minority would probably continue to informally preach--mostly just badgering relatives--but if the society also said it was not necessary to turn in a time report, then 99.8% would stop any form of preaching. Do those figures sound more accurate?

Changing subjects, I was not aware that telephone witnessing was becoming so common. In my day, when the weather was bad but we needed to make the numbers, we would write letters. I think many people today use the Internet to count time. You can come to a board like this and hang out, argue percentages, and auxiliary pioneer.

Hmmm

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

An elders wife in my old congregation once shared this story with her aunt and uncle (not in the truth) when she was outta the truth for a few years in her teen years. Now of course, she'll probably deny it, but I plan on reminding her if I get the chance.

She was a real shy girl and when she got sent to a door she'd tell the householders "Hi, those are my parents in the car over there and I'll get in trouble if I don't give you these magazines. Please take them so they won't get mad at me." This was when she was about 10. She always placed magazines and everyone thought she was such a good little witness. LOL. I'm surprised she didn't have some angry people rapping on the car window giving her parents a piece of their mind. I know I would have been outraged if a child told me that.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

PA,

That is Hil-freakin-arious! Maybe I should have tried something like that. "Hello, you see that cute girl across the street, knocking on your neighbors door? If you take these magazines, she'll go out with me."

Hmmm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit