Here's the thing. Nobody actually cares about sparlock. It's a meme only to us.

by JonathanH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

At first the sparlock thing was just a cute little diversion. The icon of an amusingly out of touch cheaply produced DVD. Somehow it has spiralled into a kind of focal point of Society bashing. There are conspiracy theories, there is outrage over the society taking the videos off of youtube, there is speculation of how this will be a wake up call to parents and kids. It's not.

We point to how insular the society is as being one of the key explanations as to how they could produce something this god awful and nonsensical. We are also very insular. We are a small group of a group labeled "apostate" by a small insignificant christian sect. We are a sub set of a sub set of a subset. Nobody outside of this website knows or will ever know who sparlock is. And I'm not talking about people who aren't witnesses. I mean witnesses and ex witnesses. Most witness parents will get the DVD because it's what they are supposed to do. They will pop it in the DVD player for their kid, watch five minutes of it, roll their eyes and leave, and then when the show is over they will put it back in the case and leave it in a DVD drawer some where never to think about it again. Given how much B.S. they swallow on a week to week basis, this will not even register as a blip on the radar. Its easy to think that it will, because we are sane and we have the benefit of perspective. Whenever the society does something absurd we all think "surely they will see the insanity of this!" but they don't. For a long time, we didn't either. Sparlock wouldn't have caused me to leave, or even notice that something was amiss. It would have been another poorly produced children's DVD, and not even the worst one they have ever done.

We can say how out of touch the society is and how insular the JWs are, but when every other topic on this site is trying to drub up face book support for sparlock, or speculating about what the society is REALLY up to with this video, or how hypocritical it is of them to not let us put this up on youtube, it only shows how insular and out of touch we are. If a curious witness came here and saw the wierd and angry furor over a wizard bear, they would think "Wow, the society is right. These people are are mentally diseased with arguments of words." and be on their way. Sparlock doesn't matter to anyone outside of this website, he is not some wierd apostate icon. And if he is, then that is very sad for us.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Killjoy

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

lol, I just don't like seeing people having fun.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Yeah, afraid you're right. It seems ridiculous to us. I'm sure most of them will think it's a blessing and a sign of the Org providing the right food at the proper time, blah, blah, blah. Which makes it the more maddening to me because no matter what insanity they are told, they just seem to swallow it whole. (I'm going to try not to think about it too much, because my head might explode.)

• shamus100
    shamus100

They WILL swallow it whole, they WILL love it, they want to believe therefore untruth is truth.

Lead that horse to water, but a lot of the time they aren't going to drink it.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Here's the thing: He is OURS.

He validates our childhoods.

He looks absolutely absurd to people who have never been JWs.

He makes plain the emotional manipulation, stupid rules, lack of love, and other BS that is the WTBTS.

WE LOVE HIM! We like to play with him, dress him up, put him dating situations with a smurf, etc.

He's awesome.

And we're not throwing him away.

• Hermano
    Hermano

As a person with kids who are still exposed to the insanity Sparlock is a line in the sand.

Sparlock is a break of the truce.

Sparlock is a reminder that I have to continue fighting the insanity until my kids are old enough to recognize it on their own.

Sparlock is hope that perhaps they have gone too far this time and maybe someone will wake up.

If I could buy the damn toy I would just because they say not too.

(Backing away from the computer now, before my head explodes.)

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The videos are great for showing to that tiny minority of people who might fall into JW influence or are curious about those odd door knockers. It is like a showing of Jesus Camp, only without any Jesus. It won't be a recruitment tool to bring more people in, that is certain.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow, Calebs Mom ( The WTS ) got to you didn't she

Subset of a subset , my ass

we will not accept your label , you can trash that shit

We have a voice, and it is bein' heard

We Now have the right to an independent thought and the freedom of speech

the right to see a glass that is half full, not half empty

The WTS wish we would shut up about Sparlock

NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5