Are the WTB&TS out of their depth with the IT age ? And is it going to be their Waterloo ?

by smiddy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m just wondering if their stumbling from one disaster to another in their belated efforts to embrace modern technology , smart phones , the web, twitter , pc`s, you tube , social networking ,etc.etc. is really going to be their demise in the long run . I know they frown on higher education , but the gaffes they have made in recent years is getting beyond the joke.

Ignorance can be excused to a degree , uneducated people can be excused to a degree, but plain stupidity, cannot ! and neither can unethical behaviour in manipulating others to do your will.

smiddy

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

of definately. I remember years back wehn all the kids had beepers. What happened? well they created codes so they could "talk" with their friends and the parents were none the wiser. That seems like stone age now. And well I guess it is. That Sparlock cartoon is already looking like the 90's. They are just to ridgid to look past their nose at anything, until it's force fed

• St George of England
    St George of England

They were supposed to launch their new jw.org site at the beginning of June. A single site for everything.

A note on that site now tells us that has been postponed until September.

George

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

St George of England >> They were supposed to launch their new jw.org site at the beginning of June.

The celestial chariot lags behind; the universe is expanding and news reaching earth takes longer. Thus the shift from June '12 to September '12.

Still yet others may call it just an overlapping of website content.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

You've gotta figure that anyone talented enough to design and produce a decent website isn't going to turn down a six-figure salary in a booming industry to work for free at bethel, only to be given the boot when they're 52 years old.

The society should have paid more attention to the classic computer programming mantra: GIGO (garbage in, garbage out)

And yes, this is their Waterloo (cue ABBA)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is not so much that they are out of their depth, as that there is nothing they can do anymore to hide their history and critical examination of their insane doctrine.

• metatron
    metatron

I see the answer as more yes and no...

As to yes, they are a 19th century religion stuck in 2012. Switching over from printing to the digital age won't work financially, anymore than it is working for big newspapers. They are out of ideas and inspiration.

The Sparlock thing looks way beyond dumb because they are entering a field that is already loaded with professional talent, far more experienced than they are (Like Pixar, etc.), as to technical ability and message.

However, religion is not about rational belief (especially this cult). As long as they repeat 'obey, obey' over and over, many fools will fanatically support them.

metatron

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

They are like a dry well, like a fish pulled up from the deep and cast on shore, gasping.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

i feel that the internet and smartphones will be too much for the WTBTS. According to statistical information in the article http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/statistics.php on www.jwfacts.com there was a change in publishers growth rate slope around 1994, which coincides with increased internet use. Also, please remember that the WTBTS has significantly lowered its requirements to be an active publisher for its record-keeping, so the internet effect could be more severe than shown in graphs on jwfacts.com

from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

"Commercial internet service providers (ISPs) began to emerge in the late 1980s and 1990s. The ARPANET was decommissioned in 1990. The Internet was commercialized in 1995 when NSFNET was decommissioned, removing the last restrictions on the use of the Internet to carry commercial traffic."

As long as reputable websites like www.jwfacts.com, www.watchtowerdocuments.com, www.jwnews.org, www.silentlambs.org, etc. exist and create new and balanced articles about the WTBTS, the number of active JW publishers should continue to decline, unless the WTBTS starts counting dead publishers. I wish the best to all those people, who love JWs and oppose the WTBTS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

As big a hit as the Internet was, mobile Internet, e.g. iPhones, are going to make a huge impact. A further loss of information control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit