Richard Dawkins is Agnostic?!

by cedars 130 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Great thread.

I respect those who say "I don't know" I think it is probably the most intellectually honest postition.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

One of the most refreshing things when I left the JWs was realising it was ok to say "I don't know"

This was not permitted in the WT world, especially on the ministry.

The reality is most people on earth use the phrase regularly, they are just honest.

This is not a new thing, science is in pursuit of the 'we don't knows'.....

• caliber
    caliber

The harmony of natural law...reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.

Albert Einstein
    The World As I See It

Is it not the awe of such realization that creates at least a o.1 % doubt about the non-existence of God ?

One thing is certain Universal intelligence can be seen

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I believe the vast majority of god concepts are self-refuting inventions of man and I don't mind saying so. Those who worship such god concepts would surely think of me as a hard core atheist.

For the nebulous Spinoza-Einstein & Paine god concepts, I don't know. I lack enough confidence to be called a "believer" but the descriptions are not so ridiculous that I feel the need to reject them on the grounds of being self-refuting. And those who are confident in that kind of concept don't insist that I'll be punished for doubting. From their perspective, I suppose I am agnostic.

But since I do not believe in an intervening holy book god, I'm absolutely not a theist. So I find it better to classify myself as a nontheist as that clarifies a host of ideas I reject, while still allowing me to be uncertain of a few unorthodox "god" concepts.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I can no longer conceal the truth of what I am; an Epicurean.

"Epicureanism is a system of philosophy based upon the teachings of Epicurus , founded around 307 BC. Epicurus was an atomic materialist , following in the steps of Democritus . His materialism led him to a general attack on superstition and divine intervention. Following Aristippus —about whom very little is known—Epicurus believed that pleasure is the greatest good. But the way to attain pleasure was to live modestly and to gain knowledge of the workings of the world and the limits of one's desires. This led one to attain a state of tranquility ( ataraxia ) and freedom from fear, as well as absence of bodily pain ( aponia ). The combination of these two states is supposed to constitute happiness in its highest form. Although Epicureanism is a form of hedonism , insofar as it declares pleasure as the sole intrinsic good, its conception of absence of pain as the greatest pleasure and its advocacy of a simple life make it different from "hedonism" as it is commonly understood."

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    One of the most refreshing things when I left the JWs was realising it was ok to say "I don't know"

I agree. And it is actually a relief to know we don't have to have the answers to every single question. Mystery isn't always a bad thing.

Garold, thank you for the quote from Albert E. I agree with him.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm an Epicurean also........well maybe just a foodie.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

SweetBabyCheezits:So, Jo-Jo , you're an atheist who just happens to be confident in the existence of supernatural beings? Outstanding!

Go back to your demon thread and re-read everything I wrote, I am getting tired of mouth feeding you and pointing out dogma even though you clearly dont have a clue what dogma is, or the difference between dogma and science.

In a nutshell, I had believed in spirites and demons, I had believed because I found the occultists explanations vague and not logical, I came to the conclusion that I dont know, get it I DONT KNOW lol, yet in regards to the current sciences of this phenomena are not satisfying or explains what I fully experienced, not paralyses nor schizophrenia or anything that I have read. Again you shift the goal post. So yeah I am an agnostic atheist.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Flyinghighnow, just to clarify, I am talking about gaps in our knowledge where some may imply God, I insert "I don't know!" for example the exact details of abiogenesis.

As for a god, I personally feel sure I.e. 7/7 there is no god, because for me there is sufficient historical evidence of mans fictional creation of him, their anterior motives accounted for also in detail. E.g. Pray to the sun god for summer to return etc etc etc

Maybe the hardest question for me is..... It's 10am, shall I go coffee or tea.... The answer .... I just don't known!

Mwa x

Snare ;)

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Known? ..... Balls to my sarcasm... You got me good Ra !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit