How an original STAR TREK episode nearly cost me my first JW marriage in its first year...true story I find funny/sad

by oompa 31 Replies latest jw friends

• James Brown
    James Brown

Some of the crazy things

that crazy cult made us do.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What episode was it?

• Diest
    Diest

I love Star Trek.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Because Gene Roddenberry refused anything to do with religion and had that greatest and rare gift...common sense.

I love Star Trek in all its forms, though not all equally.

And between choosing an episode of Star Trek and anything atll JW....well, there's no choice, is there? Leaving aside the fact that I will never, EVER, go into a Kingdom Hall again, Star Trek is really important!

• truman
    truman

Not all JWs are hard cases against Star Trek. One of the actually positive experiences I had in that regard occurred when another 'sister' and I had purchased rather expensive and non-refundable tickets to an appearance of Shatner and Nimoy when they were touring during the 90s. We had bought the tickets way in advance, and it turned out that a CO visit had an extra meeting arranged for the same Saturday night set for the ST event. We spoke to the CO about it and he said we should go ahead and go to the Star Trek performance; we could catch his talk at a nearby KH the next week. We were sooo grateful :(. We went to see Shatner and Nimoy, and it was great. We never did catch up on the missed CO meeting.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I even saw all the ENTERPRISE pre-Kirk episodes after the fact on Netflix DVD. It didn't really fit well before TOS but it was more new Trek stuff. I saw most TOS stuff for the first time as a little kid. I saw TNG as I was exiting the military and joining the cult, but I never let that stop me from watching. My wife walked out on an episode where a lady claimed to be the devil, but I stayed and watched.

It is very anti-JW in it's premise that Man will work out his own petty problems on earth and proceed to the stars- sort of a Nimrod idea of men defying a need for God and looking to themselves for answers. Your ex is crazy to get worked up like that, but many of us were crazy.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Sorry yer wife treated you like that just for wanting to see a new episode. Even worse that she threw it in your face all those years. I would have swapped her shampoo for some hair remover cream for being such a bitch.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

At least your son is sane!

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Thursday night in the uk, Simpsons, fresh prince of belle air, deep space 9...... MEETING.

I don't think I ever saw the end of a DS9 episode. Probably explains why I enjoyed them and most Trekkies dont. I'm not a Trekkie at all, but I did enjoy DS9....... Well 2/3rds of it lol

Its odd, I just had a sense of joy in the memory of being ill on a Thursday night and therefore being able to see the end of an episode. Sad

Snare x

• oompa
    oompa

This was unexpected...so many start trek connections??? i think you are right otwo!...never thought about that before...us trekkies were rebels!....oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit