Would you die for your current beliefs?

by SweetBabyCheezits 55 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
  • panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I'm with Bernard. At one time, I would have been stupid enough to die for my jw beliefs, but not now.No waterboarding for me. I will tell you everything you want to know, well almost everything.

• james_woods
    james_woods

There are things worth dying for in certain circumstances - for example, your close friends or your family.

A debate over ideas is not worth dying for. It is not even worth getting your blood pressure up over.

I would behave like Gallileo - apologize for the heresy, and wander of muttering "and yet the Earth still moves".

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I believe we ALL die for our beliefs, ... in the end.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

panhandlegirl: I will tell you everything you want to know, well almost everything.

Really? Then tell us: what is it women really want?

• Diest
    Diest

I might die to do whats right, but I dont know if Id die for my beliefs.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    James: There are things worth dying for in certain circumstances - for example, your close friends or your family.

That is a given, even for Bertrand Russell, I suspect. I don't think he was including loved ones in "beliefs".

Here's more from a fantastic interview and you can also read/download some of his philosophical works on Project Gutenberg for free if it interests you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP4FDLegX9s&feature=related

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Context required:

I would happily lie to preserve life and would not even blink before prostrating myself in front of a religious nutters idol as long as he/she held the knife.

If my death would in some way be meaningful and would advance the cause of human freedom and enlightenment , especially that of my family, I may well, reluctantly, put my head on the block.

If I was in a war that threatened to send us back into a theocracy or extreme political situation like Stalinism I would fight knowing that I had a high chance of dying or getting injured.

Those sorts of extremes aside - no way. 5 year old me believed in different things to 20 year old me. It would have been crazy to sacrifice 20 year old me for 5 year old beliefs.

• I quit!
  • james_woods
    james_woods

Just as an aside, it is a Good Thing that Bertrand Russell did not have to die for his ideas in Principia Mathematica.

He spent a lifetime trying to expunge strange loops and infinities for complete mathematical consistency, and was definitively proven WRONG by Kurt Godel in the 1930s.

So, what he said was right - he might have been wrong, after all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit