Solar Eclipse Tomorrow, May 20, 2012

by ohiocowboy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

@darthfader: I forgot about the "Solar Eclipse" until a strange shawdow and dimmed light helped me remember. I was looking for clouds in the sky, and "Dooh, it's the Eclipse!" Good work on your pinhole camera! Thank you for posting you pic!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Talesin, got it and responded.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I was a little disapointed. It only darkened us a little- like a passing cloud. A few astronomy buffs nearby got some good shots.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay...here are my pictures....

1) First contact at around 5:15pm:

2) The eclipse progresses....

3) Maximum eclipse at around 6:30pm:

This is how dark it got outside:

I didn't think the sky would darken but it was clearly noticeable.

Crescents on the ground through leaves:

4) An airplane passes in front of the sun just before the eclipse comes to an end:

5) The sun sinks behind trees right at the moment the eclipse ends:

• talesin
    talesin

xo

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Great photos Leolaia!

• darthfader
    darthfader

Awesome photos Leolaia! I really like the one with the airplane :)

• cantleave
    cantleave

The last full eclipse of the sun here, in the UK was in 2000. It got very dark.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I was a little disapointed. It only darkened us a little- like a passing cloud.

I thought it was pretty cool. When it gets darkened by a passing cloud, the shadows fade away and everything gets even lighting. But yesterday it was direct sunlight with very strong shadows, it just was that the sun wasn't putting out as much light like as if it had a dimmer switch. It was a weird effect.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Awesome pictures, Leo. Yes, the shadows and light from the Sun was neat and unusual! I wish that we had more opportunuties to see these types of things, then again, they wouldn't be as special and significant if we had them more often.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit