2012 Convention Releases

by garlic81 105 Replies latest jw friends

• man oh man
    man oh man

With no new book release i wonder if this means after Jeremiah book will we go through and older publication again? Maybe Revelation, ick!!!!

• processor
    processor

Walk by faith not by Sight

The perfect topic for a DVD

• sd-7
    sd-7

So now I'm going to have to deal with crap animation and hilariously bad sound effects again? And a weak year of just brochures otherwise? Hmm. Ah, well. Rather disappointing...

On the plus side, maybe they'll have that scream like in the Noah video again--"YYUUUURAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!" Unfortunately, no John Barr narration this time...maybe it'll be David Splane narration. "Do you want to be like Daniel and his three companions, who were willing to die for Jehovah? God will surely protect you if you do." Nah, surely they wouldn't say that in a kids' video. Right???

Well, if I get a chance hopefully I'll post stuff when mine comes around, if I'm up to taking notes. I mean, after getting over the horror of being there again after two years of not going, that is. But I'm sure it'll be like picking meat off a chicken after everyone else has already eaten...

Will someone post pictures of what the new stuff looks like, at least? That'd be nice.

--sd-7

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Seems like they're going the mindless DVD/brochures for the mentally challenged route. Makes sense really. Children are a huge target, as well as the subliterate and people who aren't firing on all 8 cylinders.

Much more difficult to quote contradictions and logical fallacies from a DVD than a CD ROM on apostate sites!

• jgnat
    jgnat

No book?

• Zico
    Zico

FatherlessChild,

I'd heard that the drama has a bit of a Steve and Selma feel to it, obviously no physical abuse, but one of the storylines features a sister married to a brother who doesn't pay much attention to his wife and children, but the blame is put on her for having an acid tongue and ignoring the advice of the elders on how to improve her marriage. Does this sound right?

The GB seem to be pushing this theme of women being to blame for failed marriages...

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Walk by faith not by Sight

The perfect topic for a DVD

We had an elderly sister in our congregation that seemed to drive by faith, not by sight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SUJELn5LfU

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

What talks went with these releases?

I am going stag this year and am only going to show up to pick up litter-a-turd so my family thinks I went.

Thanks a bunch, DLL.

• FatherlessChild
    FatherlessChild

FatherlessChild,

I'd heard that the drama has a bit of a Steve and Selma feel to it, obviously no physical abuse, but one of the storylines features a sister married to a brother who doesn't pay much attention to his wife and children, but the blame is put on her for having an acid tongue and ignoring the advice of the elders on how to improve her marriage. Does this sound right?

The GB seem to be pushing this theme of women being to blame for failed marriages...

yes it did. the sister who rushed to get married and didnt "wait on jehovah" was the one who was encouraged to control her tounge and attitude.she ignored the "spiritual" advice and was using "worldy" advice from book and the radio about relationships.

i watched the dvds. the childrens one was interesting. i hate the word "obey" it makes one sound like an animal taking commands. it basically teaches kids to just do what they are told unless they want something bad to happen or to make their parents unhappy. there is a special segment where the kids are supposed to sing along with the song book and the parts where the song says "listen obey and be blessed" had pictures of the family in field service. i thought that was such obvious conditioning. and by golly i never looked that happy in field service growing up. lol

the live drama was a little bit gruesome. it is the story about the fall of jerusalem and how they left for Pella. the actually have a disclaimer about the violence on the back of the dvd saying that its not a glorification of violence but just a depiction of what had happened.

quality wise i would say both exceeded my expectations.

• FatherlessChild
    FatherlessChild

What talks went with these releases?

I am going stag this year and am only going to show up to pick up litter-a-turd so my family thinks I went.

Thanks a bunch, DLL.

the last talk of each day had the releases

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit