The best and worst Travelling Overseers in the UK

by usualusername 117 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

David Algar was 'on the rails' last time I saw him as DO at Hayes Bridge prolly around 2006/7

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This was the thread. Longer ago than I thought... I guess it was not true then!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/27162/1/Suicide-David-Algar-Repost-to-UKers-Confirmation

(Don't know why my links are not clickable)

• St George of England
    St George of England

Went to a KH dedication about 2007 and David Algar gave the talk. I was under the impression he was in Bethel at the time. He remembered my family from way back, in fact he came to our wedding.

John Flack I remember (plus Jean, his lovely wife) when he was our CO. He stayed with us on one visit. The Chanel No. 5 lingered for weeks after they left!

George

• usualusername
    usualusername

Dave Algar was hilarious. He wife was lovely too.

District Overseer Carter was hilarious. He died sadly.

Colin Conradi.

South African I believe. Was he liked or not?

• cedars
    cedars

Colin Conradie was actually from Zimbabwe originally. He's a good bloke.

Cedars

• Number 6
    Number 6

Ive been out for over 20 years but my memories from the West of Scotland are:

John Flack, yes Glasgow area mid 80's, superb public speaker and very nice man.

David Carter, wasn't he the Robert Morley type larger than life character who used to have his audience in stitches?

Ray Midgely. Utter utter twat, nuff said, single handedly talked my step father into beating the living shit out of me for the least infraction of the Watchtower rules. If there is a hell I hope he roasts in it.

Gordon Webb.. can remember the face but not much else..

Rodney Ketter, D.O. from the 70's used to shout and bawl from the convention stage at Murrayfield in Edinburgh. Scary man.

Be interesting to see who else knows these characters.

Craig

just remebered: Peter Morgan, bald guy with glasses had some kind of rare illness and could only eat certain foods. Nice man.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I was a reg pio. when we had David and Jean Algar. Spent quite a bit of time in the min with her. She was very sweet, very very young back then. Loveliest CO's wife ever.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Colin Conradie was actually from Zimbabwe originally. He's a good bloke.

But boring as drying paint!

His Brother Steve, was funny, but not deliberately he once had the announcements for the service meeting and talked about "Household Acid Parties" instead of Acid house parties and "The Three Maggies" instead of the 3 magi!!

• St George of England
    St George of England
    David Carter, wasn't he the Robert Morley type larger than life character who used to have his audience in stitches?

Robert Morley! Just fits him.

He used to ask the audience for answers to his questions at Circuit Assemblies. "Just shout out sister"

Could have made a good living as a comedian.

George

• Zico
    Zico

I knew Dave and Jean Algar well, I was friends with Jean's niece and nephew, and in her sister's book study group. Jean and her family were indeed wonderful, among the nicest Witnesses I know, and Dave definitely did not commit suicide!

I also knew Roy Renouf, he originally came from the same congregation as Jean Algar. Last I'd heard Roy's wife was very ill, I'm not sure how she is now? She was very into homeopathy as the cure for her ills. Roy and Jean Algar were also very close with LittleToe's parents and stayed with them many times. Slim, I wonder if that had an influence on Roy's talk?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit