The best and worst Travelling Overseers in the UK

by usualusername 117 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

Dozy dozy dozy

I based my comments on the correct understanding at the time. If you got off your big bum and read Prov 4:18 you would understand. Just joking..

You wrote:

Not too sure about your account - my recollection is that Roddy was invited to go to Gilead but declined as he was courting Lucy. You don't need to be married to be a CO ( eg Anton Irons was long single until he eventually married - it actually helped as he was assigned to cover the Falkland Islands as well which rather bizarrely was included with one of the Welsh circuits at one time. ) Wasn't Bill Harris single as well?

I was baptised in the 80s and left in the noughties and canot remember a single geezer being invited to Gilead.

During the 90s single COs and black ones were unheard of. Then along came the MTS. Anton went to the MTS. Nice guy from what I heard. Early graduates told me that they argued then single men shd be appointed as the Apostle Paul was single, then hey presto single COs suddenly pop up. I cannot believe that the students changed the unwritten policy in the UK.

Dozy you made me compose a reply of more than a sentence or youtube clip!

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

This is Ken Richmond. An ex-wrestler, he became a CO sometime in the 70's.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Ken Richmond used to stay at my parents house in birmingham ( UK ) in the 70's. i met him once. he is dead now.

elsewhere i read that Bevan VIgo is now at the London bethell. although he called the brothel back in his CO days. another wasted watchtower life.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Can't remember if I answered this thread.

Couldn't stand Jim Cleary - awful man. Used to insist his host family would tape Star Trek:TNG when he was staying with them. Lots of rumours over his wife and him breaking up later.

Chris Thompson stayed with us once. Odd ball.

John Stanbridge - refused to take his shoes off in a sisters house even though she explained why, she'd just had new carpet put down. His retort "I'm not a Muslim you know".

Philip Rose - ranted about how gays 'can help it'. Oh dear. Generally hated by everyone in the cong. No one wanted to work with him in the min.

Devaston 'Danny' Henry - prat. Whined about people being tardy about sending in the time sheets.

Alan Stokes - great speaker, always got your attention.

I had soft spot for David Algar - simply for the Ronnie Corbett voice. I can remember him at Bowes Road a few years ago talking about staying away from films about boy wizards with the initials HP. "And I don't mean the sauce broovers..."

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Whizzstick I remember Alan Stokes and Bevan Vigo, Stan. There was a guy called Michael Spurr, whose talks always contained skeletons, he was obsessed with them. Also Brent and Jean Smith. Noble Bower was DO I remember, very large man.
  • Prefect
    Prefect

I remember CO Ken Richmond and his wife in London in North Kensington area. Big guy, broad shoulders.

He used to drive a Heinkel Micro Car. Tight squeeze for him and his wife.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Xanthippe - I remember Brent and Jean Smith too, very kind, great detailed talks with lots of humour. Some hated him though, horses for courses I suppose..

Mike Parsons was a great co, miss that dude.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Philip Rose. Utter weasel. I don't hate many people but he is right up there on my list of Brian Cants.

John Stanbridge. Odd but pretty harmless.

Tony Tavener. Genuine and humble man.

Mike Seidler. Greasy pole artist.

Colin Conradie. Top bloke.

Richard Cullen. Loved by the congregation but hated by the elders for being two faced.

David Carter - Loves the sound of his own voice and wished he had been Tommy Cooper.

David Algar - Entertaining but as my I grew ever more cynical about the whole thing I just found him increasingly pompous.

Peter Morgan - Nice bloke overall.

Dave Rastell - Quite liked him really 'cos he stood up for me when my elders were being plonkers.
  • passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Worst - Terry Armstrong. Total dick of a man with an overbearing, sanctimonious wife. Hugely entitled couple who clearly strived to make everyone feel shit and inadequate.

Best - Clive Pitman. And I'm only sayin that because they were all shite.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

In my experience, over decades, the one thing they all had in common was that they were first and foremost Company men.

Individuals and Congregations were not as important to them as the WT itself, the Bible was subservient to what the WT said, they would always quote WT words first, and scripture later, if ever.

Some were nicer than others, some were basically A-holes, most were pleasant enough, but that loyalty to the Corporation first and everything else subject to it, gave them all a hard edge.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit