It Was Never Enough

by Bangalore 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Found this on another site a few years back.

It Was Never Enough.

I remember the first time as a kid I comprehended that I could never do enough for the organization.

A Circuit Overseer was giving a talk and said,:

Sunday is meeting, and since you are dressed up you might as well do some field service after the meeting.

Monday you should spend an hour or so in the evening preparing for the book study on Tuesday.

Tuesday is book study.

Wednesday should be time for your family study, personal study, or preparation for all three. Or perhaps preparation for a part on the school if you have one.

Thursday is Service Meeting and TMS.

Friday you should be preparing for Saturday field service.

Saturday is field service. And there are always things that can be done around the hall.

The bottom line is brothers - if we are ever feeling comfortable in Jehovah's service we probably are not doing enough.

I also remember the sinking feeling in my gut. I was probably 10 or 11 when that thought was ingrained into me. I even regurgitated it from the platform as an MS when I was older. Ugh.

Little did I know at the time that was one of the hallmark traits of cults - keeping people too busy to question.

Bangalore

• elderelite
    elderelite

Damn.... I have heard similar. We all have im sure. This thing we were/are in is as culty as it comes. It grinds and tears us up on a lotta levels. Busy is a key element.... In honor of this post, i refuse all cult activity for the day. I dedicate my time to family and Thor. And Thor dosent actual want me to di anything for him since he a god and all :-)

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember all that. Let me add--we can do an hour of field service (perhaps some return visits) before the book study since we are all dressed up anyway. Our book study used to be from 8 to 9 pm so we could easily fit in some time between getting home from work and the meeting.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

It is like a treadmill.

Bangalore

• designs
    designs

Jump up kiss em in the ass- Repeat.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You forgot pioneering, Bethel Service, and "reaching out" (for men).

And if you get appointed as an MS there's even MORE for you to do, or not do well enough as the case may be.

And if you get appointed as an ELDER there's even MORE ... and so on and so on, infinitum ad nauseum.

After 20 years as an elder I was completely burned out trying to please an un-pleasable "God", the organization.

And then they say, "We're the happiest people on earth!" So when you're not happy you of course think that it must be YOU that has the problem.

GUILT, GUILT, GUILT AND THEN MORE GUILT!!!!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Bangalore: It is like a treadmill.

Yes, except on a treadmill you're at least getting some exercise!

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

True 00DAD. It seems to be a never ending cycle.

Bangalore

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interestingly, maybe THAT is the reason I hate treadmills. I love to walk, run and hike, but I just cannot stand treadmills. Probably because the remind me of my years as a JW.

All that activity and you never really get anywhere, just exhausted!!!

• Ding
    Ding

The New Testament focuses on what Jesus Christ did for us.

Cults focus on what we must do for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit