Is your 3-day Watchtower Emergency Kit all ready?

by FatFreek 2005 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

No offence is intended here, but am I the only one who notices a correlation between 'Doomsday/Armageddon' cults and a more general propensity amongst US residents to prepare for catastrophic events? I appreciate that the US is more prone to natural disasters than the UK, but I can't help noticing that in general terms there seems to a much greater interest in the US in 'survivalist' issues.

Maybe it's a throwback to the 'pioneer' mindset (in the worldly not JW sense) enhanced by TV/movies, the existence of isolationist 'militias' ever on the keen look-out for those famous 'black helicopters' sent to enforce the 'new world order', or whatever, but I can't help wondering whether there is a partly-ingrained 'circle the wagons' or 'Remember the Alamo' mentality (real or perceived) that fueled the instigation of 'Doomsday' cults and keeps them going.

(I post as someone in the UK who wryly observes the queues in 24 hour supermarkets on Christmas Eve. One would think that the end of the world had been announced rather than just the mundane fact that some (not all) shops will be closed the next day!).

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

this rumour has been going on for some time. JW's love to dust off old articles and re-hash them as new light.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The local congregation's PO invited a select group to organize these survival kits, and threw a party, cooking steaks, drinking beers and sealing up dried good and water for the "Earthquake Kit". Some Whiskey and Rum was added to the kit, in the event a disinfectant is needed, pour the whiskey or rum over the wounds, kills the bacteria, and drink the rest?

None of the mentally diseased "early partakers, cat ladies or undesirable dubs" were invited to this congregational survival kit event. What a shame, "Burned out Bob, Sally Schizo and One Shoe Sal" are sent to the back of the class!

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The goods you will be needing:

Three Cases of 24 pack Bottled Water Top Ramen Cups/ 3 32oz Jiffy Peanut Butter

Two Five Gallon Bottles of Water Coleman Cook Stove with Propane and Lantern.

Blankets, Sleeping bags First Aid Kit, Vodka, Rum, Whisky in case of cuts or dry throat.

Older Bound Volumes for Giant Fire to keep warm.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

all this fear mongering cracks me up...how many end dates did we hit in 2011? bout 4 or 5? this year i know we have at least one....the funny part is, who cares? if the shit hits the fan just put a bullet in your head, or take a bottle of asprin or something. what difference does it make? our lives are like 5 mins then it's over anyway.....people are so devoid of excitement that this shit passes for entertainment....there is only 1 reason that we are in a pathetic state as a nation and as a people, only 1, trust died. once trust died, everything else natural died...oh and BTW trust ALSO DIED IN THE WONDERFUL AND BEAUTEOUS WT BIBLE AND TRACT CORPORATION ALSO. if people can start to trust again, and live up to that trust to some degree, a lot of shit will go back to normal. i love the way people use bible prophecy to talk about all of this disaster, meanwhile they ignore all of the other information that talks about everything being normal when the world ends, "women being given in marriage" and all that shit...the whole thing is bullshit as i said, it's a sad exuse for entertainment, and the only real thing that has changed in the world is that trust died...it really is all that simple.

• Room 215
    Room 215

When I first read the headline of this thread, I thought it was about a kit designed to equip any JW to survive the three-day ordeal at the District Convention!!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

For a balanced diet, I would include foods from the 4 major food groups:

Chips - Salsa - Pepperoni - Beer

Rub a Dub

• carla
    carla

"This whole thing won't last more than 3 days and we're already stocked up for it..."-- How do they come up with the Big A only lasting 3 days? if that's is what he means by it.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

There was a service meeting part last week reserved for local needs. Here, they reviewed what was obviously a BOE letter detailing the disaster prep plan. The information made sense because you never know when a big storm or blackout can knock out power for a few days. What I got out of it was that the elders were going to be harrassing the publishers by field service groups to provide contact information. Phone numbers, email, etc. Also, they want out of state contact information in case of a Katrina like evacuation.

There was also a bunch of WT references handed out about what needs to go in an emergency kit.

Here in the US, hurricane preparedness week is either this week or next week and I'm sure the local news will have a little fluff piece on what you need to do. There's nothing special about what the WTS said. The biggest problem I had with it was that the elder giving the part (COBOE) went on and on about how this was life saving information from Jehovah and that we're special that we've been given it. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

My company had an internal article a few months ago on disaster preparedness not only for work but what you need to do on a personal level. These are practical reminders that come from many sources. Pretty sure that Jehovah is not the source of this.

I will give them some made up contact info just because it's easier than arguing why I don't want them to have my personal info.

Of course, you know JWs. Many of the crazier ones are going to take this and run with it. Meanwhile, the WTS will use this program as proof that they are performing "charity" work if the IRS questions their not for profit status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit