Would you support "Open Carry" legislation in your state?

by Glander 71 Replies latest social current

• NCO
    NCO

Okey dokey then, Justitia. Good luck on your exams.

• designs
    designs

Now some bright person made a 20,000 volt 'Tesla' coil powered stun gun, how many would opt for ZOT! over Bullets.

• Glander
    Glander

I don't think I would want to be jacking around with a stun gun when confronted by a weapon aimed at my head or a member of my family, or for that matter, a co-rider on public transit, etc.. At least a firearm could stop the person a nanosecond or two sooner, thus saving a reflex shot from a real weapon. Leave the pepper spray and Tazers to the cops.

• designs
    designs

Doesn't that require an almost perfect shot to the head.

• mrquik
    mrquik

I own several handguns. Routinely carry a Beretta Tomcat 32. It's light & small enough to carry in your pocket yet carries a significant amount of knockdown power. Those of you who believe that Christians should not be armed, remember even the Apostles carried personal weapons. I'm sure if they were available, they'd be carrying Beretta's too.

• Glander
    Glander

Not neccessarily. You could just shoot the gun out of their hand. Roy Rogers did it all the time.

But seriously, a gunshot from a 9mm pretty much disables no matter where it hits. A stun gun...? I don't know. What if the batteries were old and the barb wire dribbled out the end or went into a big down jacket? Suddenly you get that road runner look on your face.

• designs
    designs

Have you had the misfortune to fire on a human to know this or a large animal using a 9mm or Beretta .32. I have heard of some people hunting with pistols.

• Glander
    Glander

No. I have never been in that situation and hope I never will be. It is not a cowboy movie. It is important to honestly deal with the possibilty. That is why people trained in law enforcement and/or the military have a great advantage in 'carrying' the responsibilty. I can't imagine the average soccer mom being up to a real, unexpected, confrontation. Training is a must for the average person. But it is and should be, their choice. I choose not to carry but I would not be concerned to see more citizens decide to be armed.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    They were exactly the "type" most would think of to openly carry a weapon: white, late-30s, John Deere caps, wife-beater t-shirts, gun racks in the truck...sigh.

BTW,I intend to refine my "stereotyping" skills after graduation, and my industry has volumns of book written about the subject. We use it daily in "peremptory challenges." We use them, and my industry trains in them, because the are generally accurate. The key is to effectivly spot the exceptions. In that sense, we "profile" because our opinions are not biases that are not open to challenge from contrary facts.
    Therefore, if I ever have a case that needs a jury comprised of people with anti-open-carry leanings, and I have a peremptory left, I will bump any guy sitting there in a wife beater, jeans, and cowboy boots, wearing a John Deere cap. And it will simply be called good lawyering.

I'm a White, Middle aged, John Deere capped, sleeveless T-shirt, jeans, and Cowboy boot wearing Male, but I don't carry a gun, and I have never beaten anyone. In fact, most of my peers that I hang around with don't have guns either. My Partner and I have already had the talk with each other about it, and we both agreed that if we were assaulted we would just take our chances and hope for the best instead of using a gun in self defense.

Quite a bit different than what you have profiled, Justitia.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

You are absolutely right, Glander. Responsibilty should always come with gun ownership. Training in the use of guns would be essential for anyone who chooses to carry one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit