How Did/Has the WTBTS Affected Your Social Skills?

by ABibleStudent 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• Londo111
    Londo111

Same comment!

• cantleave
    cantleave

A lifetime of being told I am never good enough, that my achievements meant nothing and that if I felt proud of anything I was thinking too much of MYSELF, has left me somewhat lacking in self confidence and far less assertive than I should be.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

This is something that i've strugged with and i'm slowly getting better at.

Being a Born-in, i too was damaged and feel that, although better now, i've been socially inept for most of my life. Same as others said, self conscious, intolerant, proud and most of the time, without much to say.

I don't think it's fair to say that all born-ins are like this, because i know many who are just fine, so i think it's a combination of things.

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I converted into this cult but I gotta say, it has helped my social skills. Going to their meetings, I was kinda force to say hi to everyone and do some small talk even if I had no interest and going d2d has helped me start conversations with people based on nothing. I was originally very shy.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Let me echo never being good enough. I was never fully accepted. Others write of socialization in their KHS. We had none. The lack of love and acceptance struck me at a gut level. Secular Christianity and mainstream Christianity was about socialization and good works. I wanted to be a nurse. It was absolutely forbidden b/c of blood transfusions. My father tried to pull me out of high school to bag groceries under his direction. I scheduled an appt with the principal to get a court order. Yes, I could obtain one but at a very steep price-the rest of my family. Worldly people were so kind. Being born-in, I thought I was not good enough. Beat to a pulp for spilling milk, I resolved to try to be good.

I sought help for my siblings,not for myself. Being a Witness, I lived parallel lives in my head. I was very ashamed of being a Witness. My folly was thinking walking away by itself would cure me. I lived better than I could imagine without the Witnesses. Serious illness struck. I had support from family and friends during the illness.

I point out other factors in my life besides the Witnesses that created a very sad situation. This forum was an eye opener. People unknown report the same overall Witness experience. It is universal.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I was ALWAYS afraid of saying and doing the wrong thing. I was always measuring my words and actions to make sure I came across the correct way. I thought I had to give a good witness and set a good example 100% of the time. I also didn't know how to say no. I was always "on".

Too much pressure. Too much tension. To much stress.

It's very difficult to become a complete person as a born-in.

• harleybear
    harleybear

I was so lacking in self esteem that I married the first "brother" who even gave me the time of day. What it did do was eventually made me fearless. I had the balls to leave that jerk, kick my hypocrite father to the curb, and take a stand that the "?????truth?????" was a bunch of crap. I have been told by many that I have outstanding social skill now. Does not matter if I am hanging out in a stable of horses or a presidential dinner. (and I have done both) I can hang. Maybe being so beat down has given me the tools to over exceed. I am as comfortable in a Vera Wang gown as I am in my Harley jacket. I would say that life makes you tough, but also make you real. And real is after all what it really is all about.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Disillusioned Lost-Lamb - I feel rather socially inept when it comes to anything/anyone outside my job and/or the $ociety.

And don't even get me started on interacting with, GASP, the opposite sex.

Hi Disillusioned Lost-Lamb, So what issues do you have talking with the opposite sex? Are you male or female? If you feel that you are socially inept, have you considered making a plan to become a social butterfly?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Born in,but I think that in truth,leaving the dubs,has actually HELPED me in most social situations.I dont know why.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Born in,but I think that in truth,leaving the dubs,has actually HELPED me in most social situations.I dont know why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit