What's the point of the Awake?

by Marilyn 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Admittedly it's been a long time since I've read an Awake and I can't remember much about what's in it but doesn't it contain a bunch of superficial articles with a general interest theme? Like a poor mans Readers Digest? I was recently wondering what the purpose of the Awake is? If the preaching work is so urgent and the sharing of the goodnews so paramount, then why waste time researching, writing, printing and distributing information that is superfluous to the cause? Surely they can't count time for working on the Awake? It seems to me that the Awake was originally designed to make the magerzines more saleable with the 'something for everyone' idea behind them. So is that economics or theocratic warfare or just stupidity?

Marilyn

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I think the awake was meant to compliment the WT...u know...like peas and carrots. I never used to read the WT...as it was always a rehash of old topics just thrashed over and over again...unless it was new light. I used to read the Awake journels because i would hide a raunchy novel on the inside so my ex wouldnt know I was reading 'wordly' material.

Beck

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Hey Beck, I'm in Melbourne!!! What da ya think of our last day of summer?

Marilyn

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hey there friend and neighbour

Wow..what summer? Pathetic huh!! I have new air conditioning in the house...used it once.

Nice to meet you by the way...have met a couple of others from Melbourne also...I'm thinking about having a BBQ..drop me an email at [email protected] if you're interested Marilyn.

Cheers
    Beck

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Of course, the main reason for the existence of _Awake_ (the successor of (the _Golden Age_) is to make money for the WTBTS. In my very brief (two months) term in the field service, I was instructed to use it as something that could be pushed on householders who would otherwise not be interested in any obviously religious offerings.

If the WTBTS really wanted people to keep up to date with the _Awake_ and any other literature, they would post complete copies on the Web at the same time paper copies were produced. We will never see this or any other thing that will cut into the cash flowing into Brooklyn.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.

Whoops! There is no more point to the Awake!

Expatbrit

• LB
    LB

I think the main point to the Awake is they need to keep those horny boys at Bethal busy.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

>>>>>>>>>>>>I was instructed to use it as something that could be pushed on householders who would otherwise not be interested in any obviously religious offerings.

Yeah that's what I thought. It's hypocritical and counterproductive to their message - but I'm sure it's helped build more printing factories and pay the overheads. Relying on Jehovah???? Mmmmm.

Marilyn

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Beck, I emailed you. Let me know if it doesn't reach you. I'm on [email protected] btw sorry about your airconditioning expense - but next summer you will probably use it all the time! Hope springs eternal!

Marilyn

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

LB, you always have a unique and perceptive angle to share with us. Silly me, for not appreciating the real purpose behind the Awake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit