Prozac Use Among JWs, Bethelites, Circuit Overseers and District Overseers, What Gerritt Loesch Said

by Scott77 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Scott77
    Scott77

Within five days, this thread has been viewed 2,240 times. Could it be possible that Gerritt Loesch is among those 2,240 viewers? I do not know but would not be surprised.

Scott77

• Scott77
    Scott77
    "it really is an emotional prison"
    wha happened?

Just curious, what is that reference to 'an emotional prison' wha happened? is refering to above?

Scott77

• biometrics
    biometrics
    Its also my observation that jw's tend to be bad eaters. eating all the wrong foods and often. I stress 'tend'. As a group among the most unhealthy i have come across.

I have to agree with this observation.

In my opinion possible reasons for this could be:

• Food/gluttony is one of the only sins not rigidly policed by the congregation/elders.
    • JWs use food as a comfort when faced with stressful situations.
  • Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

I am no longer on anti-depressants but was on them frequently when in the cult. I remember that I and others sometimes felt like we were "cheating" taking them because they helped us serve the Watchtower better but what about the poor people who didn't have access to them and therefore committed more sins both of commission and omission? Jehovah was going to kill them off for not meeting the national average and yet here we were, pill-popping, and auxiliary pioneering, racking up treasure in heaven and sure to be saved. I actually stopped taking them for a while because of feeling guilt over this "cheating".

The whole thing is so f'd up.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I know one elder that started taking Prozac and it made him like a zombie. He was a nice fella but very serious and naturally reserved. I felt like the Prozac affected him like adding chameleon wall paper to his soul. He just blended into the wall.

Maybe WTBTS has found out about some depression medicines like teachers have found out about ritalin. Are they serving Prozac pills at the bethel table yet. "Sister, pass me some prozac and some more of that liver". The Christ like love is more evident with a healthy dose of prozac. Bethel unity-just take your daily dose.

As anti-depressant pill veteran I have had my fair share and there were some bizzar effects on me.

• Scott77
    Scott77

"In one hall I attended I overheard two elders, around my age (I'm mid 30s now, this was a few years ago) discussing how they were both on anti-depressants. I was really surprised but I didn't think alot about it at the time. Now it just makes me shake my head"
    baltar447

Two elders of Jehovah's Witnesses discussing their use of Prozac,wow Iam not surprised. If two elders who are big shots of some kinds in local congregatioins, what about the others? Could not this the tip of the iceberg? These are the people suposedly possesing god's holy spirit. In the eyes of public opinion, this raises profound question as to the credibility of the Watchtower-sponsored religion of Jehovah's witnesses.

Scott77

• Scott77
    Scott77

bttt

• blondie
    blondie

At first the WTS had a clear "both sides of their mouth" stance.

*** w75 7/15 pp. 447-448 Questions From Readers ***

What, then, should be the attitude of members of a Christian congregation as to attending funerals of reported suicides who may have been associated with the congregation? What about an elder who has received a request to conduct such a funeral? Where death appears to have been accidental, even though it was reported as a suicide or may have involved mental illness, the consciences of some members of the congregation may permit them to attend the funeral to comfort the bereaved ones. Also, it is left up to the personal decision of an elder whether he will conduct such a funeral upon request. However, the congregation may prefer not to sponsor such a funeral publicly or to have it in the Kingdom Hall because of the effect it may have on the uninformed community.

On the other hand, where it is a clearly established suicide, members of the congregation and elders may desire not to become involved in the funeral. In such cases arrangements would be left to the family itself for a private funeral where some member of the household might say a few words for the sake of the relatives. Furthermore, some may not desire to attend a funeral of one who is believed to have committed suicide where the funeral is conducted by someone other than a member of the congregation or by the funeral director himself at the request of the family.

*** w02 6/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***If someone commits suicide, would it be advisable for a Christian minister to give the funeral talk?

Each Christian minister would have to decide for himself whether he in good conscience could conduct a funeral for someone who seems to have committed suicide. When making the decision, he should consider the following questions: How does Jehovah view suicide? Was the death really a self-inflicted murder? Did a mental or emotional disorder trigger the suicide? How is suicide viewed in the locality?

As Christians, we are interested in how Jehovah views suicide. To Jehovah human life is precious and sacred. (Genesis 9:5; Psalm 36:9) The intentional killing of oneself is self-murder, and it is therefore displeasing in God’s eyes. (Exodus 20:13; 1 John 3:15) Does that fact preclude the giving of a funeral talk for a suicide victim?

Consider the case of King Saul of Israel. When he realized that he would not survive his final battle against the Philistines, rather than letting his enemy treat him abusively, “Saul took the sword and fell upon it.” When the Philistines found his corpse, they fastened it on the wall of the city of Beth-shan. Upon finding out what the Philistines had done, the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead removed the corpse and burned it. Then they took his bones and buried them. They even fasted for seven days, a traditional mourning rite among the Israelites. (1 Samuel 31:4, 8-13; Genesis 50:10) When David, the anointed of Jehovah, found out what the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead had done, he said: “Blessed may you be of Jehovah, because you exercised this loving-kindness toward your lord, toward Saul, in that you buried him. And now may Jehovah exercise toward you loving-kindness and trustworthiness.” (2 Samuel 2:5, 6) The divine record does not indicate that the inhabitants of Jabesh-gilead were condemned for performing what may be considered a funeral rite for King Saul. Compare that with the case of those who were deprived of burial because of their wrongdoing. (Jeremiah 25:32, 33) A Christian minister may consider the account about Saul in deciding whether he can give a funeral talk for a suicide victim.

The minister may also want to consider the purpose of a funeral service. Unlike people who believe in the immortality of the soul, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not perform funerals with the erroneous idea of sending the deceased off to another world. Rather than to benefit the deceased, the main purpose of having a memorial service is to comfort the bereaved and to give a witness concerning the condition of the dead to those who attend. (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10; 2 Corinthians 1:3-5) Another important reason for having a funeral is to help all in attendance to reflect on the transitoriness of life. (Ecclesiastes 7:2) Will these purposes be served by performing the memorial service for the suicide victim?

Granted, some may feel that the person took his life intentionally, fully aware that he was sinning against Jehovah. But is there always a way to substantiate such a feeling? Could it have been a spur-of-the-moment act? Some who attempt suicide feel regret and do not go through with it. A person cannot after death repent for what he has done.

Another important factor is that of mental and emotional disorders that are involved in many suicides. These can really be called suicide victims. According to some statistics, 90 percent of those who commit suicide have some kind of mental, emotional, or addictive problem. Will Jehovah forgive the self-murder committed by people in such a mental state? We are not in a position to judge whether the deceased committed an unforgivable sin in the eyes of Jehovah. A Christian minister may take into account the circumstances and medical history of the deceased when he considers whether to perform a funeral service for the suicide victim.

There is one more aspect to consider: How do people in the community view suicide and the death of the person? This is especially of concern to the elders, who are interested in the reputation of the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Depending on the general attitude toward suicide in the locality, and particularly toward the case involved, the elders may prefer not to sponsor such a funeral publicly or to have it in the Kingdom Hall.

Still, if a Christian minister is asked to preside at the funeral, he may feel that on a private basis, he can do so. If he decides to do so, he should be discreet in not making any firm statements about whether a resurrection might be possible. Any future prospect for the dead is in the hands of Jehovah, and no one is in a position to say whether the deceased will be resurrected or not. The minister can concentrate on the Bible truths about death and offer comfort for the bereaved.

-----------One thing they leave out is that if you are an elder or MS, you cannot give the talk without their permission. I have seen funerals for df'd suicide jws held in a secular location, talk by an elder. While the WTS may have softened, in the end it is the local congregation and elders that pick the song for the piper.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Hi blondie,

I thought that was a great post much suited to a new thread about WTS attitude toward funerals. The way they treat families during funerals is really sadening. Thank for sharing.

Scott77

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Sparlock has started taking anti-depressants, too. The long nights spent sleeping with Anthony Morris are really beginning to show!

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit