Less literature for Field Service means more Bible usage...

by Alfred 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hee hee hee hee!!

I can just see them attempting that with me...

Witness: "So, have you ever considered this scripture at [insert appropriate scripture from the "Bible Teach" book or other Watchtower study aid...]??"

Zid: "Actually, I'd rather start out towards the beginning of that book - lemme see your bible... Let's start out with Genesis 1: 1-20, shall we? Now, would you say that the bible is scientifically accurate, being the "word of god" who - according to the bible - 'made' the earth and heavens?"

Witness: "Of course it is! Jehovah is our Grand Creator ™, and the greatest scientist ever!"

Zid: "Oh, really? Then can you explain to me, how "light" came to be - AND an "evening and morning - the first day..." - WITHOUT THE SUN??"

Witness: "Huh? Uh, well, Jehovah... Uhm.... Well, he split the darkness of the watery deep..."

Zid: "Oh, really? How is it, then, that the first form that the earth ACTUALLY took, wasn't "watery deep", but was MOLTEN ROCK, instead? How did your 'Jehovah' miss THAT little detail?"

Witness: "Huh? Uh, well, that stage must have come before the 'watery deep'... uhhhh...."

Zid: "And how does 'evening and morning' take place? Do you know?"

Witness: "Like the bible said, Jehovah separated the darkness..."

Zid - face/palming, by now...: "No, I mean, how does "evening and morning" occur, on earth, every day?"

Witness: "Well, the sun rises in the east in the morning, and sets in the west in the evening, and we humans call that a 'day'. But to Jehovah, a 'day' is as a thousand years, and man cannot know the mind of Jehovah, and....."

Zid is in full face/palm by now...: "NO! The sun APPEARS to 'rise' in the east and 'set' in the west, because the EARTH IS ROTATING FROM WEST TO EAST!!! And your 'jehovah' conveniently FORGOT TO PUT THAT INTO 'his' HOLY BOOK, didn't 'he'???"

Hee hee hee hee!!

Zid

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Ordinary publishers are hopeless when it comes to just using their bibles on the doorstep and nothing else

I remember they used to have a "sermon presentation" at the doors. It was two or three scriptures tied together with a theme.

I think those presentations were only used on Sundays (and weekdays ? ) with Saturday being reserved for magazine work. The KM would come out with a new "theme" every few months. Don't know how long it has been since that happened. It might have been 1950's early 60's

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bump... 'Cuz this thread appears to have vanished off of the Active Topix list...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bump again....

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I remember they used to have a "sermon presentation" at the doors. It was two or three scriptures tied together with a theme.

That's correct, we had a printed card that we carried in the front of our Bible, "Ten to fifteen minute four scripture sermons". This was up to the early 1960's I would say.

This was replaced with a small booklet, similarly carried, called "Sermon Outlines". I think this was replaced with "Topics for discussion" and bound with the Bi12 bible.

Working with the CO on Sunday morning you would be expected to get 'several sermons in' or else.

The majority of JWs today would not have a clue where to find the scriptures.

George

• steve2
    steve2

Less literature means more guided and controlled Bible usage more like it!

Some posters may remember the book that seemed to herald a new dawn in the organization. It was a verse-by-verse discussion of the book of James released (from memory) around the late 1970s - very early 1980s.

It purported to let the Bible speak for itself - and evidently led some readers to come to different conclusions than the official Watchtower interpretations of the book of James. To my knowledge the book was never re-issued and conveniently soon sank without a trace.

We later learned that it was authored primarily by Ed Dunlap, a one-time registrar of Bethel who, along with his wife, left the organization around the same time as Ray Franz.

That book is perhaps the most recent "attempt" by the GB to let the Bible speak for itself. Its instructive to think this was over 30 years ago.

Nope: The reduction in the number of pages of the magazines means many things, but it most certainly does not mean more time to use the Bible...unless it means more time to be guided and controlled in the use of the Bible. Quite a significant difference.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

What!! Another decision that will be hung on the rank and file??

The pubs are too dependent on literature? That comes from having to move 12 a month, more if you are a pioneer.

(My brother, with links in Bethel, told me at the beginning of the downsizing at Bethel "it was felt some were getting too comfortable at Bethel."

Well, yeah; like the GB, they made Bethel their career.)

The Society is putting out LESS content, they have eliminated one evening of meetings, shortened the meetings, shortened the public talk and cut output of magazines in HALF in the last few years.

Personally I think they are running out of things to say other than don't have sex and don't go to college, and are sick of having their simple minded doctrines picked apart by sites like JWN.

The WT is the INCREDIBLE SHRINKING RELIGION.

• ziddina
    ziddina

[per the above post... "Incredible Shrinking Religion..."]

Picture several Gov.Bod members stuck in a spider's web, shrieking "Help me!! Heeeeelp meeeee!" in eensy beensy teeny tiny voices...

Hee hee hee hee!!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

No matter what happens the event proves how close we are to the great tribulation.

The reduction is literature is proof that the GT is right around the corner. Duh! How can you argue with such an arguement?

I am surprised you were surprised by the comment.

• mP
    mP

Its not a wonder why the WTS didnt previously encourage ppl to rerad the Bible. In truth its a disgrace and shame thats they and all xians have been trying to hide for the past 2000 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit